Excerpt: Economies [merged]

FireLance

Legend
AZRogue said:
Of course, they could just mean you get the boost at the standard intervals which are even numbered. I'm just checking in case someone knows of a change.
I haven't heard anything about stat boosts from the rules for levelling the KotS characters to 2nd level, so my guess is, probably not every even level.

Colmarr

First Post
Lurker59 said:
Based on the rewards in KotS a basic +1 magic item seems to be a Level 1 (360 gold) item. Any additional descriptors, like dwarven on armor, increase that level. For example +1 Dwarven plate armor is described as level 2.

Which suggests that there's more to awarding magic items than the excerpt is telling us. Thanks for the heads up.

keterys

First Post
Ultimatecalibur said:
I think the magical equipment bonus will be something like 2-4: +1, 5-8: +2, 9-12: +3... 25-28: +7, 29-30: +8. One of the clue they gave out way back in August was +8 wand.

Actually, it was a +6 wand.

A basic +1 magic weapon is a 1st level item. A basic +2 magic weapon is a 6th level item.

I'll admit that I also thought it would go in sets of 4, but if you look at the price chart, it seems pretty clear that the 6/11/16/21/26/31 cutoff is a major price jump, which would lend well to the + of the item going up... since Lurker59 has the adventure and discovered +1 is 1st and +2 is 6th, and the prices for those match the chart. It's pretty good evidence. At any rate, we do have evidence that a 21st level character was using +5 armor from a playtest blog and an 11th level character a +3 weapon, so those are perhaps helpful backup information.

Stalker0

Legend
keterys said:
Actually, it was a +6 wand.

A basic +1 magic weapon is a 1st level item. A basic +2 magic weapon is a 6th level item.

I'll admit that I also thought it would go in sets of 4, but if you look at the price chart, it seems pretty clear that the 6/11/16/21/26/31 cutoff is a major price jump, which would lend well to the + of the item going up... since Lurker59 has the adventure and discovered +1 is 1st and +2 is 6th, and the prices for those match the chart. It's pretty good evidence. At any rate, we do have evidence that a 21st level character was using +5 armor from a playtest blog and an 11th level character a +3 weapon, so those are perhaps helpful backup information.

It would seem then that parties are expected to get +2 items very quickly, seeing as how a level 3 party should be getting at least 1 or two level 6 items.

keterys

First Post
On bonuses, if you can get, say a +7 item by 30th, then to match 30 points of monster increase, it's

+15 (half level)
+7 (item)
+4 (8 stat boosts)
+4 (other)

Which seems eminently reasonable. Even at +6 item, getting +5 from power, path, destiny, feat seems viable.

keterys

First Post
To be honest, I don't plan on giving out _any_ generic +2 (or 3, etc) magic weapons.

I'll wait the extra level so I can give out vicious weapons, frost weapons, etc.

AZRogue

First Post
A'koss said:
I recall someone worked it out from a previous article and the increases were at 4th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 18th, 21st, 24th and 28th level.

But those levels couldn't be right since the article said that you get a stat boost only on even-levels.

WotC Article said:
Characters gain new attack powers at odd-numbered levels, and they gain new feats, ability score increases, and global adjustments to all their attacks and defenses at even-numbered levels. Both are exciting, but they feel different.

I wonder if every even level for an increase is even possible? I don't think it very likely, myself.

A'koss

Explorer
AZRogue said:
But those levels couldn't be right since the article said that you get a stat boost only on even-levels.
From the "Tiers" article, under the topic of "Starting at Higher Level"... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080416a

Determine Ability Scores. Generate scores as for a 1st-level character, applying racial modifiers. Then increase those scores as shown on the Character Advancement table in the Player’s Handbook, with increases at 4th level, 8th level, 11th, 14th, and so on.

AZRogue

First Post
A'koss said:
From the "Tiers" article, under the topic of "Starting at Higher Level"... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080416a

Determine Ability Scores. Generate scores as for a 1st-level character, applying racial modifiers. Then increase those scores as shown on the Character Advancement table in the Player’s Handbook, with increases at 4th level, 8th level, 11th, 14th, and so on.

Thanks for the link. Makes me wonder which article is closer to correct, heh. :)

Remove ads