D&D 4E 4e Campaign Setting Poll

What are you planning to do for a 4e campaign setting?

• A campaign setting published for 4e, like the new Forgotten Realms (or Eberron in 2009)

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • A published campaign setting I'll update for 4e, like Dragonlance (or Eberron before 2009)

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • The implied points of light setting

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • An existing homebrew campaign setting that I'm going to update for 4e

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • A new homebrew campaign setting that I'm creating specifically for 4e

Votes: 42 26.6%
  • I'm a player, so whatever my DM decides

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Other/Haven't Decided

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • I despise 4e and everything associated with it

Votes: 5 3.2%

Blackeagle

First Post
The recent Forgotten Realms thread got me wondering about what people planning to do as far as a campaign setting for 4e. Are you planning on buying a 4e setting from WotC or another publisher? Updating or rolling your own? Points of light?

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
I'll use Forgotten Realms, until Eberron comes out. And then till Dark Sun comes out. I dunno. I might try a setting a year. Life is good.

...though mostly Eberron. (Though Dark Sun is my bishi.)

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm going to BS my own, PoL style. I'm going to try and bribe my players into assisting in the fleshing out process.

Unless the players want to play in Curse of the Crimson Throne (converted to 4e by me).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I plan on making up my own homebrew game like always, this time: crazy, sci-fie, conspiracy theory, god-machines and artificial world, noir, kinda game.

When they come out, I plan to get: Planescape, Spelljammer, and Ravenloft (perhaps Dark Sun too).

tombowings

First Post
I'm working on a homebrew campaign for a post apocalyptic setting. That way I don't really to flesh out too much before and can jump right into the game and tailor the setting to my player's needs.

In case anyone is curious, here is what I have given my players:

The year is 731 in the second age of Vantir. The republic is growing steadily, Eladrin are making groundbreaking arcane discoveries, including the construction of sentient constructs, at the greatest of universities the world has ever seen. The Dwarves have just established forms of primitive musketry and banking. In just the last eight year we have adopted halfling merchant city-states into the empire, reunited with the ruminants of the Tiefling Empire, and put an end to the Hobgoblin raids in the west. The powers of the church, nobility, and guilds have been slowly Hobgoblin in favor of a rising middle merchant class. Or at least that’s the way it was two years ago, the end of the Golden Age.

In just two short years, everything changed. The thought that the Hobgoblin raids ceased was only partially true. During their eight years of silence, a powerful warlord, by the name of Kah’rend, united every tribe in the west under a single banner. The strike can out of the blue, swift and merciless. Not only were there Hobgoblin, but hordes of demons as well; no longer were they locked in the abysses of the Elemental Chaos, free to pillage and burn as they chose.

Survivors are few and lonely, five hundred at most. The Arch-Mage Ariel has put together a ritual to tear a hole into another world, allowing us to escape from this desolate wasteland. The world we travel to will be a fresh start, free from the monstrosities of this age. Over the course of the next three long days, every man woman and child is to take what belongings we have left and journey to the unknown land, and into new age.

Here is where the adventure really begins, in Ah’rem (literally meaning “uncharted lands”), a world that has never known empires, seen kingdoms, forged steel, or written laws. You and the rest of the refugees stand on the threshold between the marvelous blue glaciers of the mountain peaks a sweeping jungle of emerald green sweeping down the mountainside into a bright sapphire sea.

While I enjoy FR, I am not terribly fond of where they have taken it. (Time of Troubles was less hokey then the spellplague IMO). I typically run my own setting, which was only somewhat Points-of-light-ish, but required next to no retconning for 4ed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Blackeagle said:
The recent Forgotten Realms thread got me wondering about what people planning to do as far as a campaign setting for 4e. Are you planning on buying a 4e setting from WotC or another publisher? Updating or rolling your own? Points of light?

I'm got a mini-campaign planned in a homebrew. But that's going to be homebrew-light, normally my homebrew are unique cultures, etc, etc. But I normally run a lot more open path.

I'm in a FR game that if/when it updates I'll play, but the DM is most likely NOT going to be going 4e FR timeline and break from canon. (Or rather, stay with 3.5 canon.)

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

pukunui

Legend
I'm designing my own PoL setting (working on the deities and such at the moment - I'm sick of Pelor, Moradin, Bahamut, Lolth, and the rest, although I'm going to keep a few of the old ones plus some of the new ones, like Tharizdun, Vecna, the Raven Queen and Melora).

That being said, I am planning on buying all the published setting books they release for 4e, primarily to plunder them for ideas but also to have them in case my group decides they want to use a published setting for whatever reason. If they ever do Dark Sun for 4e, I'll definitely want to run it. If I were to ever run a FR campaign again, I think I'd do it with the 2e timeline. As for Eberron, it's got some good stuff (like its religious system - I like the idea of being able to have a cleric of an entire pantheon instead of just one god and I like that it's unclear whether the gods really exist or not) but also some silly stuff I don't like (the continents are all just big blobs, halflings on dinosaurs ... actually, just dinosaurs in general. I don't know why, but I really don't like having dinosaurs in D&D. I think it's because, in my mind, they clash with dragons. They're both big reptiles and I feel like it should be one or the other, and I prefer dragons over dinosaurs [although I was a huge dino buff as a child] ...).

Anyway ... so yeah - homebrew to start with, published settings for ideas/material and possibly to play with if people want to.

Last edited:

Remove ads