My Dragon Killed a PC and lives to tell the tale!

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Since I've seen so much guff about dragons lately, I thought I'd relate my own recent dragon tale. I did play him a little overconfident (demanding the party's gold in exchange for their lives), but in combat he slew one PC and managed to escape.

So last night I ran my first dragon, an adult blue (Party consists of 7 9th level characters, 1 8th level cohort). The party was aware that the dragon was a blue and was "big", and had been asked to retreive a few items from his hoard. As the party was exploring the mountains, the blue spotted them. The party missed their spot/listen checks, and the blue circled above them for a while, sizing up the party and their potential and waiting to see what they would do (from the safety of 1000 feet up).

Sure enough the party realized they were being watched from above and quickly sought cover, hiding under a ledge in the mountain large enough for the party. The dragon, seeing the party did not feel confident enough to face it in the open, descended and landed on the mountain uphill from the ledge the ledge the party was hiding under.

The party was well aware of the dragon landing (he's huge after all), and now started to debate what to do. One player (the bard), decided to send his horse back down the slope. The horse was promply fried by lightning breath. Same player turns his cohort's horse invisible and sends it out. Same result. Suffering the effects of dragon fear, one character breaks a "communication rod", which requests the attention of their current arch-villain.

A few breaths later, he appears (an evil wizard who keeps his face covered with a shadow mask) among the group and asks if they have had a change of heart and wish to join his organization. One of the party fighters attempts to bull-rush the villain, who finds him to be an illusion, and ends up outside the safety of the ledge, where the blue dragon promptly gives him a bolt of lightning (no damage to the character, who had protection from elements on, but it was sure dented). The arch-villain laughs at their desperation and attempted trickery before the illusion fades.

The rogue in the group attempts to parlay. He sticks his hands out from the ledge, and slowly presents himself to the dragon. The dragon decides to see how this plays out and lets the rogue do this. Unfortunately, the rogue doesn't speak draconic, and the dragon ends up looking at him quite funny. The bard also steps out in the same slow manner, and starts to address the dragon, this time in draconic. The conversation goes rather quickly, the dragon demands their gold/treasure and in return the dragon will let them live/leave. Unfortunately, the rogue continues to take 5-foot steps away from the ledge and party during the conversation, is warned twice, and is blasted by lightning the third time he does it.

This starts the combat in earnest. The party rogue charges the dragon as the party fighters emerge from the ledge and make their way toward the dragon. The party wizard discharges a fireball at him, the cleric uses flamestrike. The dragon quickly deals significant damage to the offending rogue (he drops to 9 hp), roughs up one of the fighters a bit, and otherwise continues to hold his ground. The bard casts haste on the party wizard and later casts haste on the party fighter. The party ranger, in the meantime, deals significant damage to the dragon (favored enemy bonuses), which makes him unhappy.

The party fighters take a little while to engage the dragon (one uses spring attack to keep his distance, the other is slower due to encumbrance). After being hit with three more arrows from the party ranger, the dragon decides he *really* doesn't like that ranger. The party mage is throwing two spells/round, but one always fails the resistance check and is not as damaging as the arrows. Moving in, the dragon crits with his bite attack, dealing 47 points of damage to the ranger. The ranger, wounded but determined, takes a 5-foot step back and still plants 3 arrows into the dragon.

After the rest of the party makes more or less bad rolls on their attacks, the dragon takes his 5-foot step at the ranger and rips her to shreds with his claws (that's the second character I've killed in 5 months of DMing). The dragon takes one more round to bat at the fighters before fleeing (he was down to 40 hit points at this time). He flies 120 feet into the air, then flys away at top speed. As he managed to escape, he only had 15 hit points left and likely would have died if the party wizard did not fail a couple of SR checks.

OK, so I think I played the dragon relatively intelligently. He cornered seemingly frightened party members and used his breath weapon in his initial attack (he had to wait 4 rounds to use it again, but when it became available, I decided he should live to fight another day as he was severely wounded). He also made quick work of the one who pissed him off (the rogue, down to 9 HP for almost the entire fight) and the one who was the greatest threat (the ranger, who is currently deceased). He also used his full-attacks fairly well, and severely damaged the party. He has now retreated to treat his wounds and can confront the party another day.

So did I play the part of the dragon sufficiently? Any pointers for the next time the dragon runs across the party (which may be fairly soon... the party is discussing quickly proceeding to its lair and finishing the job).

psionotic

Pretty good

It sounds like you did pretty well. The characters now have some fear of the great beast, and will likely be more cautious next time. (The Dragon will be better prepared as well: If the mage and cleric were using mainly fireball and flamestrike, it should have some fire protection up during their next battle. Maybe 'protection from arrows' in case the ranger is res'd, and 'shield' if the mage was using lots of magic missiles.)

The most important thing is that it knew when it was in trouble and escaped, and you avoided having it stupidly fight to the death. Its probably quite angry at the interlopers now, especially so close to its lair. Its enormous pride has to be stinging, as well. I would expect it to heal up,and then ambush the party while they are camping/resting up for the next battle, especially if its at night. If the party is foolish enough to try and camp on its mountain, they should pay a heavy price for doing so.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Sounds pretty good. Seems like a satisfying and exciting encounter.

The party seemed to soak up the lighting breath pretty easily--12d8 with a saving DC of 25 is nothing to sneeze at. Protection from elements certainly saved the party's life (if not their mounts).

I can't imagine the rogue actually charging the dragon. Certainly not a wise tactic, and he deserved to suffer a bit. The ranger was heroic, but he should have retreated in order to use his bow more effectively. I'm also amused that the party apparently tried to use the dragon to snuff their arch-nemesis. LOL!

Anyway, I'm supposed to be examining the dragon's tactics, not the party's. You seemed to play the dragon well. I think it was a good encounter, with a mix of role-playing and exciting combat. I can just imagine what the PCs were thinking when they heard the dragon land right above them and dig in.

I'm glad the dragon was able to retreat and that he was able to slay at least one of the party member (who will hopefully be raised to continue his grude against dragons). I think your encounter gave the PCs and their characters something to think about the next time they try to fight to face this (relatively young) dragon and others of its race.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Let's look at the numbers...

An adult blue is CR 13.

Your party consists of seven 9th-level characters plus an 8th-level cohort.

From this, I estimate that this encounter was "Very Difficult" (four ELs above the party average, but a party of double the numbers of an average one equals - therefore, it was about an EL of two above the party level).

DMG, p. 102: "Very Difficult: One PC might very well die. The Encounter Level is higher than the average party level..."

Heh. Quite by-the-book, wasn't it? :D

Lothaire

First Post
May I suggest that the dragon sends some of his minions to weaken the PCs while they rest and force them to waste spells.

Possibly have it scry on the PCs so the minions can attack when the Preist prays for more spells.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Darkness said:
Let's look at the numbers...

An adult blue is CR 13.

Your party consists of seven 9th-level characters plus an 8th-level cohort.

From this, I estimate that this encounter was "Very Difficult" (four ELs above the party average, but a party of double the numbers of an average one equals - therefore, it was about an EL of two above the party level).

Heh. Quite by-the-book, wasn't it? :D

Actually, the encounter is only 2 higher than the average party level. The encounter would be a +4 EL encounter if the party consisted of 4 9th level characters. Since the party is double it's size, the average party level raises from 9 to 11. My party is about the equivalent of 4 11th level characters.

Check out this thread for a discussion on the average party level of a party (in particular, mine is in there).

Oh, and I'll write up adventure in my story hour today or tomorrow, so if you want to check it out, the link is in my sig.

Later!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Cloudgatherer said:

Actually, the encounter is only 2 higher than the average party level. The encounter would be a +4 EL encounter if the party consisted of 4 9th level characters. Since the party is double it's size, the average party level raises from 9 to 11. My party is about the equivalent of 4 11th level characters.
That's what I said, actually. :cool:

Grendel

First Post
The encounter will be even more difficult if the players are foolish enought to return, the Dragon having a taste of their capabilities.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Lothaire said:
May I suggest that the dragon sends some of his minions to weaken the PCs while they rest and force them to waste spells.

Possibly have it scry on the PCs so the minions can attack when the Preist prays for more spells.

I thought dragons tended to be solitary/territorial creatures (especially the evil ones). The blue in question recently migrated from the northern part of my campaign world (getting "crowded" up there), and has been looting the Gryphon Riders of the area. As of yet, I don't have "minions" for the dragon (he's only an adult), but if you have any suggestion, feel free to let me know.

The encounter will be even more difficult if the players are foolish enought to return, the Dragon having a taste of their capabilities.

Yeah, I thought of this too. The dragon has learned quite a bit (mage throws fireballs/magic missles, fighters aren't that big of a threat, arrows from the <dead> elf really hurt). The adventure does involve getting a few important gems from the dragon's hoard, so we'll see what the party wants to do next time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases