My Dragon Killed a PC and lives to tell the tale!

trimeulose

First Post
A few problems with your tactics. Blue Dragons fight to the end. They consider running away cowardly.

If the dragon ran away, he should have cast heal on himself once, and on the way back (he should have turned back) cast haste (all attacks + spell).

When fighting, it is common for a Dragon to bite and snatch the biggest threat in the first round (still gets the other attacks though). Then in the second round uses breath weapon on the next biggest threat, and the poor unfortunate in his mouth gets no save (also automatic bite damage). If a dragon is hasted another good combo is to cast hold person on a threat and then breath weapon. (if there is someone in his mouth thats two that dont get saves.

Dragons if played correctly, are highly under-reated CRs

Wolfspider

Explorer
From the Monster Manual entry for Blue Dragons:

Blue dragons run from a fight only if they are severely damaged, since they view retreat as cowardly.

I would say that being reduced to 15 hit points represents being "severely damaged" and see no reason why the dragon would see the need to immediately return to combat without being properly prepared.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
One of the tactics I like to use with dragons, and one I think this blue SHOULD have done with the rogue for being so impertinent, is to snatch a character, fly straight up about a hundred feet, breathe on him, bite him, and then, well, let him go...

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Cool fight. Sounds like the players were caught off guard and weren't very organized. I'll bet the dragon will have a much tougher time in its lair.

~Joseph~

First Post
very good, I do believe that you deserve a pat on the back for that one, WOW. One thing I would suggest, use the dragon's spells, an adult is a 5th level socerer, play him like one, if the mage casts fireball on you cast fireball right back at'im. And have the dragon fly more often, any self respecting high-level wizard will cast fly on himself the first round of combat, so why wouldn't a creature who can fly use his air superiority to his advantage. fly out of range and caste spells if you fall to far in HP.

Have them attack your dragon in his lair, have it full of traps, and even an adult dragon will have a few minions, and there's always some one to fight for money.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
~Joseph~ said:
very good, I do believe that you deserve a pat on the back for that one, WOW. One thing I would suggest, use the dragon's spells, an adult is a 5th level socerer, play him like one, if the mage casts fireball on you cast fireball right back at'im. And have the dragon fly more often, any self respecting high-level wizard will cast fly on himself the first round of combat, so why wouldn't a creature who can fly use his air superiority to his advantage. fly out of range and caste spells if you fall to far in HP.

Have them attack your dragon in his lair, have it full of traps, and even an adult dragon will have a few minions, and there's always some one to fight for money.
All the spells that you mentioned (i.e., fireball, fly, and haste) are 3rd-level spells, which sorcerers get at 6th level, not 5th. :p

novyet

First Post
An extremely well done fight, the pc's have made a good enemy, and the next fight with the dragon should be a pretty sweet rematch. :) Recurring enemy perhaps?

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Having only access to 2nd level spells, using spells over attacks or the breath weapon didn't seem like the smartest idea. Also, I can use all of those spell slots to heal the dragon (cure light a bunch of time). If the party returns to fight him the same day, they'll find him quickly healed :).

reapersaurus

First Post
Few questions of clarification before i can get a clear idea of things, Cloudy. ;)

1) Why did the dragon just sit there and waste the surprise opportunity it had?
2) Why didn't it use that time to buff itself up with all the access to spells it has (even clerical)?
3) Did it use ANY spells in the fight?
4) Good thing the party knew the blue used electricity, eh?
5) Why didn't the dragon didn't have any cohorts, or help? Was he in his own lair?!
6) Why didn't the dragon have magic items of use, or potions of healing, or something.
7) Couldn't the dragon just take off, heal itself, then come back once the haste spells had worn off the party members?
8) How did the PC's make the horses walk out in front of a dragon to get toasted? A cattle-prod? Wouldn't the horses be affected by dragon fear?
9) I wonder what cool and fun things you could have done with the Ventriloquism and Hallucinatory Terrain free actions each round?
10) Did the environment allow for good burrowing tactics? How could the PC's have 'hidden' under a ledge? Wouldn't the dragon have burrowed underground, and then - OH NO! Where'd the dragon go?! Lots of fun missed there? :(
11) Why didn;t the dragon attack while your PC's were shaken?
12) What 6 feats did you give the dragon?
13) How did the party do 226 points of damage to it, thru the DR of 5/+1 and AC of 28 (minimum) - couldn't it have gotten up to 39 AC easily?

Sounds like a fun fight, but it seems like the dragon, given the situation you mentioned, should have made mincemeat of the party, especially since they didn't seem to fight that smartly (what do you think?)

Remove ads