Another Character Sheet Option

madirishman

Explorer
I updated my character sheet for Fourth Edition...it will need some tweaking, but it already has some layering options to allow you to customize its look and feel. I appreciate any feedback you may have; just follow the link below.

Best regards,
Patrick

mattdm

First Post
some comments

• Layers apparently don't work in Evince on Linux. (Or xpdf.) Acrobat is available, but it is kinda glitchy in its own special ways. It'd be nice to have a non-layered version available too. Right now, the only thing this really affects is the colors (at will/encounter) for the power boxes, right? Oh well — I can probably deal with that.
  • Also, what's the point of the little check boxes if you have the color bar turned on — shouldn't it just say the right one?
  • I like how the official sheet makes visual links between the ability scores which contribute to defenses. I'm not sure if this could reasonably be worked in without destroying the sheet too much.
  • Likewise, it makes sense to me to have initiative at the top right of the sheet — maybe switch init and speed, and then move that whole line up above ability scores?
  • I never write current damage on my character sheet — erasing too much always messes 'em up more quickly than I like. So, the "current hp" box is a big chunk of wasted real estate for me.
  • I don't think my game will be needing the extra write-in skills section, even though I'm going to have house-ruled Craft/Perform/Profession. I'm happy having those things written in one of the free-form areas of the sheet.
  • Someone else had the idea of a "triggers" section — a place where you write special things to watch for which may allow you to activate a power. That could certainly go in the "feats and special features" area, but it might be nice to have its own space.
  • Having the rings listed separately from the other body slots is odd to me.
  • The powers in the books have an "effect" line which has a special meaning: the effect happens regardless of whether you hit. This makes the "effects" line in your power blocks kinda confusing to me — presumably I put hit, miss, and always effects there, but, yeah.
  • The powers section takes up a lot of space which may be wasted if the player prefers to use separate power cards. Maybe an option to replace that with some of the things from pages 3 & 4? (And probably including a place to just list which powers you have by name, so you know which cards you need.)
  • Class and level don't really need all of that space in the header, do they? I'd rather see a little more of the character description data moved from page 4.
  • Action points are a kind of frequent renewable resource and as such it seems like they belong somewhere other than the header.
  • Ooh, also! I was thinking that the Paragon Path and Epic Destiny lines are a waste of space for 1/3rd and 2/3rds of the game. And then I realized that this is true for most of the power spaces too — most characters won't need 'em all until Paragon, and in Epic they'll need more space than is available. So, what about designing completely separate sheets for the three tiers?

Anyway, thanks for your hard work on this and on the 3E sheets.

Samurai

Adventurer
Looks pretty nice! My main complaint would be page 3. We don't need nearly that much space for rituals or magic items. All of pg 3 could be condensed and combined with the other pages, I think.

madirishman

Explorer
Hey guys,

Thanks, this is all good stuff. Yours Truly has looked at this for all of 24 hours, so there'll be some tinkering with it for a while, for sure.

I'll see what I can do about getting a non-layered version out for the Acrobat-impaired. ;)

But keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
Patrick

The Right Word

First Post
Nice work, I love your stuff. One comment on powers; a 30th level character will have somewhere between 17 and 21 powers, not including magic items, you may want to make page two a page for powers, XP and languages, then move equipment into page three with magic items, giving you space for all the powers one's heart may desire.

Also, I like the color coding on the powers, but maybe you include an option for a light-shaded header with a place to write "At-Will, Encounter or Daily". The types of powers will likely be switched out with some frequency. The check boxes are a good solution as well, but I guess we are to assume that if the encounter or daily powers are not checked then it is an at-will?

Again, great work.

Remove ads