Babylon 5: Outrageous Fortune

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
While Ashley scolds the gokk-looking creature, Sarhat walks to the wall and examines the certificate hanging there.

Walking Dad

First Post
Vurk takes a look at the cybernetics in this room. Does they look like the legal stuff stuff, or more blackmarket? He also tries to discern their quality.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sethyk doesn't look at Ashley, but pauses in his tinkering. He cocks his head to one side, and seems genuinely puzzled as to what she is talking about.

"Tchk. Oh, that. Chk chk. Old defences, nothing to worry about." He pokes around in the cybernetic eye for a bit longer before asking, "Why are you here?"

[SBLOCK=Sarhat]
The certificate is awarded to Sethyk S'Kesk by the office of President Santiago, Joint Chiefs of Earthforce and the Mitchel-Hyundyne Corporation for exemplary service (dated 2257).

You know that Cascor predominantly field fighter craft in their space fleet, and you also recall that some Cascor were resident on Earth as part of the design team for the Aurora Starfury (vastly inferior to the Nial, of course). You have a vague recollection that they were kicked off Earth during the Shadow War years when the Earth government became hostile to non-humans.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Ashley fights back a snarl at the alien's nonchalance. Old defenses indeed! If she'd come alone...

But there were times and places for wrath, and they still needed Sethyk's help. For now.

"We understand you have connections to Raive. Before we go any farther we need to know what your relationship with Raive is."

She was getting tired, and tended to push too hard when she got tired, but Ashley tried to keep her cool and focus as she searched for the 'bandwidth' of Sethyk's alien mind, hoping to get some idea of the answer even if he didn't volunteer it.

Dr Simon

Explorer
[SBLOCK=Vurk]
Much of the junk accumulated on Sethyk's workbench means nothing to Vurk - it looks like scrap metal and not much more. What he can recognise seems manily to be legal cybernetics - medical prosthetics and the like - but a lot seems to have been modified, or is in the process of being modified to a less than legal state; a cybernetic hand with retractable blades in the fingers, for example. Most of it seems to be in a half-constructed state. There are a few pieces that seem far more advanced, and of finer construction, than most of Sethyk's clunky devices, although they have no obvious purpose and seem to be parts of a larger device.

One item that stands out is next to the computer terminal. In a sealed specimen jar next to the computer is a sleek-looking device resembling a silver-grey beetle.
[/SBLOCK]

"Trrk. Raive is my number one customer," says Sethyk. "Look, I've nearly got his new eye ready." The alien holds up the artificial eye. There is a flash from the pupil and *something* fires out, ricocheting off a container of junk and knocking it everywhere with a loud crash. The eye gives a tiny "Fzzt" and produces a curl of acrid smoke. Sethyk gives a series of angry-sounding "Tchk"s and begins dismantling the eye.

[SBLOCK=Ashley]
Telepathy check 20 +7-4 =23

This time you manage to make contact with Sethyk's mind. It 'feels' itchy, and the rapid fire thoughts make you feel slightly sick and giddy, but you manage to pick out some stray thoughts as they flicker past.

-A feeling of pride at some of the 'enhancements' that he has given Raive (including retractable claws).
- A feeling of sadness that Raive is planning to leave the planet.
- The name 'Quentin Tryce'.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Vurk tries to get a better look at the jar next to the computer terminal. He tries to move unobtrusive and if beong just generally interested in the mechanics work.
"Some nice replacements you got. Just modifying items or also custom builds?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sethyk looks at Vurk with keen interest. His eyes glisten.

"Tchk, yes, yes," he says animatedly. "A mixture, mostly improvements on old tech. See this, trrk?" He hops over to a partly dismantled cybernetic arm, knocking other items aside as he does so. "Standard Centauri Avorki biotech. I've boosted the strength output to double the original, and I've got the neural interface adjusted to adapt to the physiology of any bipedal creature. Trrrk. I think," he adds. "And I can get my hands on some very advanced tech, if you get my drift. Like, from people who don't need it because they've been dead for millions of years. Tchk trrk. You understand me, trrk?" He sidles closer to Vurk. "Maybe not dead. Chk chk. Trapped inside a virtual reality of their own making, more like."

He notices Vurk's interest in the specimen jar.

"Interesting, trrk? Raive says he found it on the surface. No idea what it is."

Walking Dad

First Post
"Indeed. Is it save to take a closer look? I have also some scientific knowledge, that maybe provide you with additional clues."
Vurk answers, suddenly more in his element for this talk.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sethyk nods. "Go ahead." He opens the jar and hands it to Vurk.

[SBLOCK=Vurk]
The device is fist-sized, shpaed a little like a beetle shell. It has no visible apertures, switchs or other external features. Silvery-grey, it doesn't appear to be a device at all, but a type of creature. Or organic technology.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Ashley]
When Sethyk opens the jar you feel a sudden sense of unease. You know what this means, and you were given training in it on Tuzanor. This device was made using Shadow technology.
[/SBLOCK]

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Sarhat contends to slowly pace around the room, looking around all the scrap, but not actually paying any attention to anything. He is here to offer protection, and they seemed to get along well right now.

Remove ads