Cleric and Paladin - What's the Difference?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Cleric is the manual. The Paladin is troubleshooting.
Clerics tell you what is bad and tells you how to stop it (vaccine). Paladins prevent the bad from getting you should you be unable to stop it (cure).

Snoweel

First Post
The Cleric is the manual. The Paladin is troubleshooting.
Clerics tell you what is bad and tells you how to stop it (vaccine). Paladins prevent the bad from getting you should you be unable to stop it (cure).

This doesn't account for classless NPC priests or the clerics' myriad combat abilities.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'm assuming it is somewhat based on the delineation between a priest and a knight in history. The holy knight was able to shed blood and trained in arms, and the priest wasn't allowed to shed blood (thus the use of a mace) and was ordained and spent a great deal of time overseeing flocks of worshippers. I think that is where part of the archetype difference for Paladins and Clerics come from.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The cleric is the primary manifestation of divine power-a sacred person.

The paladin is a highly specific holy warrior type that essentially falls within the same niche but is in the 4e PHB because it was in the last PHB-a sacred cow.

If there was one sacred cow of a class I wanted slaughtered for 4e, it was the paladin.

The cleric is the primary manifestation of divine power-a sacred person.

The paladin is a highly specific holy warrior type that essentially falls within the same niche but is in the 4e PHB because it was in the last PHB-a sacred cow.

If there was one sacred cow of a class I wanted slaughtered for 4e, it was the paladin.
No, from a PCs point of view, they're quite different, they do different things. The Paladin does not play the same as the Cleric, this is all they need to exist. It's not like the 4e team was timid in their cow killing.

However, sure, from the worlds perspective, the only difference is that the Cleric is often better educated. This is only a general statement, not a rule however.

Right, in addition to the very game world concrete differences in weapons and rituals training, there's one other important game world difference I could think of beyond potentially recognizable powers:

The Cleric's Healing Word power spends the target's healing surges.

The Paladin's Lay on Hands spends his own healing surges.

That's a pretty big difference in terms of flavor.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Alignment

Paladin must start out with the alignment of his deity.
Clerics are more flexible.

as for the role, I see Clerics as part of the hierarchy: the head of the religion would be a cleric, but the Paladins are the soldiers, guards, knightly types.

Sigurd

First Post
You can't bring realism into this...

The Paladin is an unrealistic holy warrior without game required holy duties or particular obligations. He/She is dedicated without anything clear to be dedicated to.

The Cleric is even more unrealistic without a necessary God to please or a congregation to lead. He/She is dedicated without anything clear to be dedicated to.

In many campaigns both adventure their whole careers without ever setting foot in their own deity's place of worship or receiving a single instruction that furthers their 'church'.

But they're so devout they get magic powers so its all good. :)

Sigurd

Mercule

Adventurer
Classes are a game construct, they don't do anything in the world.

I'm starting to lean this way to be honest.
I've been pushing this since 1e. I set up an organization of "Rangers" that dealt with supernatural threats. They were primarily martial, but had a strong contingent of wizards. It was pretty funny the first time I got to say "the Ranger casts disintegrate."

Paladin, IMC, also refers to martial followers of a specific sun god. Some are hobgoblins.

Remove ads