[Recruitment] ECL 9 (Demunched)FR Underdogs Campaign

DM_Matt

First Post
As summer has ended and my players have dispersed to universities across America, I have decided to get my DMing fix right here at ENW. The game will take place in the Realms, but in a time when the munchkin UberNPCs have been killed and the forces of evil threaten to overrun the North. The PCs will help to find and unite those with the will to fight on, and to recover items, research, beings, and perhaps ancient allies and artifacts that may be needed to free the North from the grip of the goblinoid hordes and thier Spirit masters. This will be an ECL9 campaign, and I will be accepting up to 8 players

Character have access to all Core books, all FR books, the splatbooks, MoTP, and the Psionics Handbook [Edit: All WOTC and Malhavoc are now OK]. Alternate rules for classes include: Monte's ranger, Bruce Cordell's ITCK Psion, Bards get 6+Int sp/level, and I will consider Oriental Adventures Classes. I reserve the right to reject any such material that I find to be unbalancing in context.

The stat system is a point assignment system with a luxury tax. You have 84 points to distribute among your stats, but you are taxes 1 pt on scores 14-15, 2 pts on scores 16-17, 3 pts on scores 18-19, and 4 pts on a 20. These stats include your level-based increases. You do not get them in addition.

Any character concept that makes sense and any nation of origin is acceptable.

Please express your interest, ask questions, and submit characters in this thread. I plan on starting this game in a couple weeks.

The following is a prologue. Your character will have this information very shortly after the game begins, so there really are no spoilers:

This campaign will take place in the Realms in 1380DR, but the origins of the dire situation facing the free peoples of those North is far older. Several years before, it was discovered that when the first humanoids arrived on Toril, elf-like creatures marooned in wrecked spacecraft after losing a pivotal battle with an enemy race, the Spirits of the land ruled over all life and land.

Some spirits welcomed the newcomers, while others sought their destruction. A great war ensued, and the newcomers and their allies were victorious, binding their vanquished foes into the dark side of nature, such as storms, predatory instincts, and volcanos. The victorious spirits, however, became the elder gods, such as Corellon, Tyr, Lathander, and Mystral. But the Earth Mother remained powerful, and became bitter at the betrayal of some of her children, and the binding of others. She plotted to destroy the newcomers and their offspring, free her children, and return the world to its natural state. She always had many worshippers, who usually worshipped in secret far from civilization. Eventually she became known to her followers as Tiamat (as per the original Babylonian Tiamat, not the MoTP one....similar to the canon Realms one), but she had other names and aspects, too, often devouring and replacing newborn gods, Shar being the most significant among them.

As Tiamat bided her time, species evolved and civilizations developed. The rise of the human magocratic city-states of Netheril was particularly bloody, as the Netherilese Arcanists sought to dominate all within their reach. The suffering of the goblinoids became so great that their god resorted to turning to Shar for aid. Shar caused to be born among the ogres a mighty and noble populist hero, not of common ogre stock, but an Oni (Ogre Mage) like those found far to the East. The god of the goblinoids was grateful for the gift, and favored the hero, whose original name is lost to history, granting him the prowess and charisma to unite his brethren against their human oppressors. While many of his raids were highly successful, and indeed were a catalyst to cause the Netherilese to create their flying enclaves and flee form their insecure ground territories, he knew that he could never truly achieve victory. Desperate, he allowed the demonic blood within him to get the better of his noble soul, and he bargained with the most powerful of the captive Spirits, the Spirit of Storms, absorbing some of his power and his evil, and even renaming himself Storm. He was eventually defeated, and the Arcanists who vanquished him reported that he had been slain, but in reality, they had bound him in what they thought was an eternal prison. Storm was far more powerful than they expected, however, as the Arcanists knew not the ancient evil that he represented. Slowly, Storm gathered more and more strength from the land with each passing storm, and over the millennia, he was able to gather enough of his former power to escape.

Meanwhile, as Tiamat watched her son grow mighty and free, she sowed dissension among the peoples of Toril. Even after Storm had freed himself and mother and son had set to releasing the other spirits and gathering allies, the world remained occupied with other problems of Tiamat's devising. Planar Rakshasa summoned by Tiamat's agents subverted rulers in the East, leading to war, strife, and confusion. The forces of good became haughty and invaded Sembia to reestablish the Elven Court in Cormanthar. A resurgent Sembia, ruled by a Spirit-posessed murderous dictator created large-scale war yet again. The Thayans and the Zhentarim were unusually active. Bane was reborn. One of Tiamat's plots nearly resurrected Myrkul. But it was all a distraction. She cared not for the outcome of the events that she engineered. For in the far North, Storm gathered an army, culled from goblinoids from throughout Toril, and some beings form the planes beyond. Combining the harsh, powerful discipline of his iron rule with the charisma of the hero whose body he still inhabits, he created the best-trained, best-equipped goblinoid army ever assembled, uniting Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Kobolds, Ogres, Oni, Wyverns, and other beasts, demons, and monsters, some summoned, some bred or created through magical experiments in one unholy horde.

When, aided by his part-freed brethren, he marched Southward, the forces of good, united by a somewhat ruthless group of worthies who called themselves "The Council" was unable to defeat them. Marching Southward, Storm divided his opponents, isolating Silverymoon, Evereska, and the Fey of the High forest under the command of the mighty druid Kurdin and the Turlang Treants, from eachother and from the other free territories.

A counteroffensive opened up the road to Silverymoon, and it was there that a great battle was fought. At Silverymoon, many of the mightiest beings in all Faerun converged, and nearly all were slain. In the end, the city fell, but so did tens of thousands of Storm's horde. Many of the Spirits were also defeated, but soon will return, as they cannot be slain by normal means.

After the fall and occupation of Silverymoon, Storm's forces, balking at the prospect of invading Evereska of challenging Kurdin in his home wood, were able to push on further south instead, until the combined forces of the North, fortified by reinforcements form abroad, managed to solidify their lines. Most inland city-states are now occupied by Storm's forces or ruled by Vichy-like collaborator states, but the Sword Coast, protected by the still-unmatched (but often challenged by the collaborator Luskanite Vikings) naval might of the elven fleet, and some nearby inland areas that the surviving metropoli of Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, and Neverwinter can protect, remain free.

Although matters are bleak, all is not lost. It is thought that the reason why the Council defended Silvermoon to the death is that someone(s) or something(s) was in the city at the time. Something that could save mankind. For it is thought that a researcher in Silverymoon, using information from her former affiliation with the Council (before a rather nasty falling-out), was working for personal, veangence-related reasons towards a method to destroy the Spirits, (Called "The Ancients" by most) and Tiamat the Earth-Mother once and for all. Perhaps those who survived may have recovered enough information to salvage her work. Or perhaps the mage, whose body has never been found, still lives. More importantly, however, it has been long-rumored that agents of the Council traveled through time to ancient Netheril, and brought back a child. It is said that this child was chosen by the gods to be the savior of mankind, and gifted with mystical powers and near-infinite potential. However, in the alternate time stream before The Council interfered, the child was killed before coming of age, and thus the will of the gods never came to pass. Perhaps in this reality, the child survived the battle, and still lives to claim her destiny.....

Last edited:

Ow my god ITCK is sad, that's just another Wizard :/ But now on a mana system with acces to both psionics and Magic. Boring..........

I'd be interested to play if there is the psionics/magics are different and ITCK bullshiet is left out of it. Feats and stuff are nice but the access to spells and the redoing of which ability applies just takes away all the psionics flavors and traits.

If you don't wan't any new ubermunchies you'd have to ban that shiet :p

Last edited:

Semirhage

First Post
Interest

Consider my interest expressed.
Some questions:
How often do we need to post?
Which ECLs are you using for monstrous characters?
And can you give me an example of a character created with your point buy system?
(Is it a direct buy with the tax, or a standard point buy from the DMG with the tax?)

garyh

First Post
I am most definitely interested in playing. I'm thinking Shield Dwarven Rogue/Fighter (mostly Rogue).

I'll have him stated and posted this afternoon (Pacific Time).

DM_Matt

First Post
The Forsaken One said:
Ow my god ITCK is sad, that's just another Wizard :/ But now on a mana system with acces to both psionics and Magic. Boring..........

I'd be interested to play if there is the psionics/magics are different and ITCK bullshiet is left out of it. Feats and stuff are nice but the access to spells and the redoing of which ability applies just takes away all the psionics flavors and traits.

If you don't wan't any new ubermunchies you'd have to ban that shiet :p

I suppose a clarification is in order. I mean the class itself, not that list of powers also in the module that converts pretty much every wiz spell.

Without a little bit of ability relief, and other improvements in that class, the Psion is pretty useless except in his specialty. They time is that most of the time, more versatile, non-specialized casters are at least as good at said specialty. They need a break.

I remain undecided on the Psionics are different or not front, because there may not be enough psions around for that to work.

All that being said, you guys will rarely meet psions. I was just offering it as a possibility.

Janos Alrdon: What are the available alignments? And what Gods can you worship?
Any non-evil, although good is probably best. As far as gods go, its open to almost any FR god except Shar.

Semirhage:
Some questions:
How often do we need to post?
Which ECLs are you using for monstrous characters?
And can you give me an example of a character created with your point buy system?
(Is it a direct buy with the tax, or a standard point buy from the DMG with the tax?)

Post Frequency: We go with the flow. The quicker people post, the quicker the game goes.

ECLs: Well, since not all ECLs are in all sources, the DMG, FR, and DragMag ECLs CAN be used. Where there is overlap, the priority is generally DMG-->FR-->DragMag. However, please post to ask for approval re: your monstrous PC, because I may disallow it or change the ECL, being that ECLs are often so unclear.

Stat System: The points are raw, except for the Tax. For instance, one could have a character with 8,10,12,14,16,18. The stats add up to 78, but there is a tax of 3 on the 18, 2 on the 16, and 1 on the 14, so you use 84 points.

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
Sounds very interesting, DM_Matt.

If you'll have me, I'd love to try a higher level adventure.

Is it OK to play as Ubaar, a half-orc Barb1/Clr5/Mighty Contender of Kord3 ?

Mighty Contender of Kord is from Dragon 283. I could send it to you, or send a link.

Hmm what troll ECL do you use, the DMG one +8 or the +11 one..? Else I think I'll be playing psion..

And what AL restriction do we have.. are we evil or good?

Remove ads