[Recruitment] ECL 9 (Demunched)FR Underdogs Campaign

DM_Matt

First Post
I'd like to restrict initial magical items somewhat. Thus, The PCs will begin with a little bit less initial wealth, although they will in the long run have recommended levels. Thus, the PCs should begin with 24,000gp (2/3rd of recommended), and no item worth more than 4,000gp.

An exception to that rule is self-made items, where the 4,000gp becomes an item cost to make limit, but the XP cost of self-made items that break the 4,000gp limit will be paid from the first XP that the character receives.

My rationale for this is that I would like magical items to have more meaning and have some sort of mystique beyond Diabloesque number-pumping.

Semirhage

First Post
Character

One more question: Does the point buy include racial modifiers, or do we add those afterwards? So... if I wanted to be a gold elf, with the stats: 8 14 12 18 10 16, I still get to add racial modifiers, so that I really have the stats: 8 14 10 20 10 16?

And I am leaning towards a gold elf Wizard 7/Virtuoso 2. Hehe. I get to be a wizard *and* have some Bardic Music. *happy sigh*

Do you want us to post characters in Rogue's Gallery?

What ECL would a succubus be in this game? I know Dragon had them as ECL 13, but I think that article was a little unreasonable.

And regardless of race & class, I'll probably be CN. Ah, the freedom to be a flighty female, oblivious to some things and truly offended by others.

Semirhage

First Post
+8 in the DMG. But that's another weird one, since it is only CR 5, even though they have 6 HD... I've never been happy using trolls as CR 5. I use them as CR 7, since the regeneration is a very nice special ability. But of course, it is only my opinion.

So, we gonna end up with an all monster cast? That'd be kind of unique.

garyh

First Post
Semirhage said:
So, we gonna end up with an all monster cast? That'd be kind of unique.

I've worked up a Dwarf, but I can do a monster if we want all monsters. It's less than unique, though. :D See the Gobtales link in my sig.

Semirhage

First Post
Ah ha

Well, no need to change, I suppose. And in Gobtales they're all goblins? So, we'd still be unique if we were a miscellaneous band of monsters, rather than all one race? Are they trying to save the world in Gobtales?

But it's all random speculation anyway :)

Thanks for the heads up on Gobtales though. It'll be fun to read along.

garyh

First Post
Re: Ah ha

Semirhage said:
Well, no need to change, I suppose. And in Gobtales they're all goblins? So, we'd still be unique if we were a miscellaneous band of monsters, rather than all one race? Are they trying to save the world in Gobtales?

But it's all random speculation anyway :)

Thanks for the heads up on Gobtales though. It'll be fun to read along.

Indeed, we're all Goblins in Gobtales. Check here for the campaign backstory. Basically, our chief has managed to convince a city to treat us as "normal folk," and we're trying to show that Goblins can be heroes, too. Hope you enjoy the story.

But yeah, a miscellaneous band of monsters would be different. ;) I wouldn't complain if I switched to a minotaur Barbarian. :D I might just do that anyways.

EDIT: I've got it!! Half-Dragon (Gold) Human Paladin!!

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
1. I am still pondering wether I will allow a Troll PC. Regenerating PCs are VERY powerful, and Rend is an Epic Feat. True, they have few hp compared to fighters of their level, but esp considering the fact that PC Trolls would have the spells and resources to plug in their weaknesses and improve their already-formidable natural attacks, its definitely something to be wary of, even at ECL8. Perhaps a good backstory as to where this non-evil Troll Psion might come from might help me...

2. No Succubi, or any other evil outsiders. Besides, your elven wiz/virt can be just as seductive, anyway, AND won't suck at pretty much everything else like the Succubi does.

3. ENB Elric will be joining this game as well. He will post a human duelist (probably) tonite.

4. Reaper: can I have a link to the Mighty Contender of Kord plz?

Elric

First Post
No, definitely no character tonight. As a player in the group that spawned this one, characters of different alignments (well, their character sheets said that they were good) gave the group no end of trouble for a period of a couple of months. I'd kind of like to avoid that this time...

I'm almost sure that you add racial mods after. More coming later (or tomorrow)!

Remove ads