First Post
S 10
Co 13
D 15
I 13
W 11
Ch 18

Feats: Improved Misty Step (1), Toughness (2) <---- out of sheer default
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Witchfire, Curse of the Dark Dream, Fiendish Resilience <--- again, sheer default

Religion: Sehanine

So nothing in the heroic tier seemed attractive, so the character took Toughness out of sheer default (she's rarely damaged in combat). Ditto on the Utility powers, where she took Fiendish Resilience. She has never used Infernal Wrath, either. So suggest me feats and powers she could take at 2nd level (and 3rd, 4th, and 5th, if you don't mind).

LightPhoenix

First Post
Feats: Improved Misty Step (1), Toughness (2) <---- out of sheer default
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Witchfire, Curse of the Dark Dream, Fiendish Resilience <--- again, sheer default

So nothing in the heroic tier seemed attractive, so the character took Toughness out of sheer default (she's rarely damaged in combat). Ditto on the Utility powers, where she took Fiendish Resilience. She has never used Infernal Wrath, either. So suggest me feats and powers she could take at 2nd level (and 3rd, 4th, and 5th, if you don't mind).

It really depends on what kind of character you want to make. It doesn't sound like you have a good idea of what you want your character to do, so I think you should start there. Once you have a concept, that will help with your choices.

As a Fey Pact warlock, the best feat to take is probably Dark Fury, as it will help all your powers with the Psychic keyword, which is a lot. Unfortunately, your Wisdom is not yet high enough to take it.

For feats; Astral Fire and Hellfire Blood will both improve Witchfire, and you could take some other abilities with the Fire keyword (Fiery Bolt, Avernian Eruption). Ritual Caster will let you use Rituals, if you're trained in Arcana or Religion. As a default feat, I think Improved Initiative is a better choice than Toughness.

For powers; if you don't really have an idea, I would take the Fey powers - you'll get a bonus to them. The exception is at 2nd, in which I would take Ethereal Stride for the escape factor. for 3rd, Eldritch Rain is actually nice, as the damage is untyped. Fiery Bolt is a good choice as well if you take Hellfire Blood. Otherwind Stride will attack a small group, and will work well with Improved Initiative as well as for movement. For 5th, either Fey power is okay, but I would grab Curse of the Bloody Fangs (especially with Improved Initiative).

Klaus

First Post
It really depends on what kind of character you want to make. It doesn't sound like you have a good idea of what you want your character to do, so I think you should start there. Once you have a concept, that will help with your choices.

As a Fey Pact warlock, the best feat to take is probably Dark Fury, as it will help all your powers with the Psychic keyword, which is a lot. Unfortunately, your Wisdom is not yet high enough to take it.

For feats; Astral Fire and Hellfire Blood will both improve Witchfire, and you could take some other abilities with the Fire keyword (Fiery Bolt, Avernian Eruption). Ritual Caster will let you use Rituals, if you're trained in Arcana or Religion. As a default feat, I think Improved Initiative is a better choice than Toughness.

For powers; if you don't really have an idea, I would take the Fey powers - you'll get a bonus to them. The exception is at 2nd, in which I would take Ethereal Stride for the escape factor. for 3rd, Eldritch Rain is actually nice, as the damage is untyped. Fiery Bolt is a good choice as well if you take Hellfire Blood. Otherwind Stride will attack a small group, and will work well with Improved Initiative as well as for movement. For 5th, either Fey power is okay, but I would grab Curse of the Bloody Fangs (especially with Improved Initiative).
It's my wife's character, and she's adamant about not taking Ritual Caster (she played a wizard in 3e, and she wants as much distance from a spellbook as possible, hence warlock).

I'll talk to her about going with either Improved Initiative or Jack of All Trades. one will get her Initiative up to +6, and the other will give her +2 on all of her untrained skills.

Thanks for the reply!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hellfire Blood would be my go-to feat for almost any Tiefling.

Why is her Dex so high relative to her Int? (She gets a racial bonus to Int, and her powers actually benefit from a high Int.)

Cheers, -- N

Klaus

First Post
Hellfire Blood would be my go-to feat for almost any Tiefling.

Why is her Dex so high relative to her Int? (She gets a racial bonus to Int, and her powers actually benefit from a high Int.)

Cheers, -- N
Player preference. When she statted her first character, a 3e half-elf wizard, she put her highest stat on Dex and second-highest on Int.

Player preference. When she statted her first character, a 3e half-elf wizard, she put her highest stat on Dex and second-highest on Int.

Improved Initiative will help her make the most out of that high Dexterity. I would have suggested taking both of the applicable Damage+ feats, but as stated by others, her stats just don't line up with any of them.

Here in the land of 4e, the first step isn't Figure out what class and race you want to play, it's Figure out what you want to DO with your character. Also, I believe the feats were designed with the notion that players would mostly be taking the Array for stats (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10), which gives characters a wider base with which to work (and generally allows for them to take a wider range of feats).

So, with that in mind, what does she want to do with this character?

-TRRW

Klaus

First Post
Improved Initiative will help her make the most out of that high Dexterity. I would have suggested taking both of the applicable Damage+ feats, but as stated by others, her stats just don't line up with any of them.

Here in the land of 4e, the first step isn't Figure out what class and race you want to play, it's Figure out what you want to DO with your character. Also, I believe the feats were designed with the notion that players would mostly be taking the Array for stats (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10), which gives characters a wider base with which to work (and generally allows for them to take a wider range of feats).

So, with that in mind, what does she want to do with this character?

-TRRW
Kill evil.

Take its stuff.

Mostly the latter.

Stalker0

Legend
I think jack of all trades is one of the best feats in the game if you use skills in your game in the slightest. I think its so good it might actually be some incentive for a person to get a 13 int, even if they have no other use for it. So if your wife has a 13 int or higher for her character, definately get that one.

theNater

First Post
...(she's rarely damaged in combat).
Up for a crazy idea? She can take Defensive Mobility and take shots from the front lines of combat. The AC boost makes it a little less risky, and if taking damage is as rare as you suggest, it might be worth it to get the Prime Shot bonus. Being up front would also make her a more tempting target, making Infernal Wrath easier to use.

Or, if you prefer something less strange, Quick Draw is handy, especially once the party gets some potions.

Mengu

First Post
I think she should go either with Warrior of the Wild for Stealth and Hunter's Quarry, or Sneak of Shadows for Thievery and Sneak Attack. Both routes will help with her goals of killing evil and walking away with loot.

Remove ads