Random Treasure Generator (Version 2 now available)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Someone should make one!

I spent an hour trying to figure this out, and gave up. The instructions in the help file are woefully inadequate. The options in each section, from tables to generators, are almost non-existent.

I couldn't even figure out the most basic thing. For example, a very simply table which rolls 1d20+level to determine how many common coins are in a pouch looks like this:

Roll
0-6 = No Common Coins
7-13 = 5d6 copper pieces
14+ = 4d6 silver pieces

Now just that simplest level a table didn't seem easily accomplished with OGRE. How do I have the user-created variable of level included in a table? How do I have the table not just generate the die result on the left, but then also generate the side result for the quantity of coins?

I suspect there is a way to do it, but the help file has pretty much no information on how to do even that basic thing. And that's just one line item on a huge list of line items I'd need to make.

Is there maybe a large complex example I can look at somewhere of what this sort of coding looks like?

[Edit: Ok made a separate table for each of the 20 levels, just to get one level into the first of the tables. Then made a generator to call out to just those tables. Hit preview - nothing. Hit save, got a 502 Bad Gateway error. Generator is supposed to look like this:

{if:$EncounterLevel=1}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins1)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=2}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins2)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=3}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins3)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=4}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins4)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=5}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins5)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=6}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins6)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=7}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins7)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=8}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins8)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=9}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins9)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=10}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins10)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=11}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins11)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=12}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins12)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=13}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=14}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=15}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=16}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=17}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=18}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=19}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}
{if:$EncounterLevel=20}{Mistwell(5ePouchCommonCoins13+)}

With a user created variable for EncounterLevel

Now even that ridiculous amount of work, for just the lowest level of the very first element of the treasure list, is still not complete, as it does not include the quantity of each coins which itself is another roll...but if I cannot even get this part to work, it's not optimistic for anything else on this generator]

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mistwell said:
Now just that simplest level a table didn't seem easily accomplished with OGRE. How do I have the user-created variable of level included in a table? How do I have the table not just generate the die result on the left, but then also generate the side result for the quantity of coins?

Well, whodathunk it? I never even thought of passing variables to table rolls. I'm amazed nobody requested it either (lots of feature requests have been implemented since launch). I'll consider that the next feature request - thanks for spotting it!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Well, whodathunk it? I never even thought of passing variables to table rolls. I'm amazed nobody requested it either (lots of feature requests have been implemented since launch). I'll consider that the next feature request - thanks for spotting it!

OH! Huh, OK, that makes sense then.

Greenfield

Adventurer
As a note on AppleSeeth's original: It seems odd that it's keyed to party level and size, rather than encounter or monster level/CR.

Other than that, great stuff.

Remove ads