Deva or Aasimar?

Deva or Aasimar?

• Deva

Votes: 189 67.0%
  • Aasimar

Votes: 93 33.0%

Hussar

Legend
For "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"? Knew I left something off the poll! :)

Interesting to see the split in votes - it's very heavily towards Deva at this point; which probably says an awful lot about how real words are generally better than made-up ones.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if you can make that conclusion though. I'd certainly say that, in this specific case, a made up word that includes the word "ass" in it is likely not going to do as well as some other words might.

After all, Tiefling and Githyanki both seem to be fairly well received.

Derro

First Post
Personally I don't see either one as a winner. Aasimar is clearly made up and could be anything. Deva on the other hand has actual religious and mythological basis and in all cases is a clearly higher order of being. In Hinduism they are godlings, in Buddhism powerdul spirits or kamis, and in Zoroastrianism they are closer to demons.

I just don't see it. Instead of making up a word (I'm looking at you too, tiefling) or co-opting a name that implies something else why not try make something simple and descriptive? Reincarnation is a big theme, right? How about Everborn or Lightchild. It seems like aasimar/deva are not much more than celestial humans so how about Celestial? Is that already taken?

I don't have much invested in this since I doubt I'll have anything to do with 4e FR but I will say this. 4e really seems to be trying to re-write D&D's history and I wonder if it's really necessary.

Tempest in a teapot really.

Green Knight

First Post
How about a choice for neither? I think they're both terrible names. They should've stuck with Celestial. Or gone Biblical and called them Nephilim. Or come up with some other name entirely. But Deva? And to think I thought Aasimar was bad...

Khaalis

Adventurer
Personally I don't see either one as a winner. Aasimar is clearly made up and could be anything. Deva on the other hand has actual religious and mythological basis and in all cases is a clearly higher order of being. In Hinduism they are godlings, in Buddhism powerdul spirits or kamis, and in Zoroastrianism they are closer to demons.

I just don't see it. Instead of making up a word (I'm looking at you too, tiefling) or co-opting a name that implies something else why not try make something simple and descriptive? Reincarnation is a big theme, right? How about Everborn or Lightchild. It seems like aasimar/deva are not much more than celestial humans so how about Celestial? Is that already taken?

QFT. I agree here. While not totally keen on Aasimar, it is familiar. However, Deva doesn't fit the race either due to its real world connotations. WotC would have been much better off making up a new name for the race if they didn't want to use Aasimar anymore.

Khuxan

First Post
How about a choice for neither? I think they're both terrible names. They should've stuck with Celestial. Or gone Biblical and called them Nephilim. Or come up with some other name entirely. But Deva? And to think I thought Aasimar was bad...

Celestial was the name they originally planned for the race. I'm not sure why they changed.

I kind of like that they've cannabilised each of the celestials now - angels are no longer Lawful Good, archons are elemental-armor-mercenaries, eladrin are fey, and devas are aasimar.

Remove ads