Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - Coming in 2011

Aeolius

Adventurer
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=60516

"Walt Disney Co. previewed a sequel to its 1982 SF movie Tron, a 3-D motion-capture remake of A Christmas Carol and a Tim Burton remake of Alice Wonderland, with Johhny Depp as the Mad Hatter, in a presentation in Hollywood on Sept. 24, the Associated Press reported. Depp will also reprise the role of Captain Jack Sparrow in a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie. "

I'm fine with this--as long as it doesn't involve Will Turner or Elizabeth (Swan) Turner.

There's plenty more that can be done with Jack Sparrow and Barbossa, but the tale of the Turners is done, thanks.

Aeolius

Adventurer
There's plenty more that can be done with Jack Sparrow and Barbossa, but the tale of the Turners is done, thanks.

Agreed.

I rather enjoyed all three PotC movies. The third had the best ship-to-ship combat of the lot. I bought the soundtracks to all three, as well - great gaming music. :)

Villano

First Post
Oh, please let the fourth one be better than the 2nd and 3rd (especially the 3rd).

The problem with the sequels is that they took one film and needlessly stretched it out into two.

What was the point of killing off Jack and resurrecting Barbosa without much explanation in the 2nd film, and then having Barbossa travel to the underworld to find Jack in the 3rd?

You could easily streamline the story as: Jack realizes that they need to free Calypso to stop Davy Jones, so Jack must travel to the underworld and rescue Barbossa.

There you go, two hours of story trimmed.

Plus, remember that Jack's version of Hell was to be trapped on a ship in the middle of the desert with a crew full of other Jacks. Doesn't that scene make more sense if you substitute Barbossa for Jack? That would probably be the worst Hell he could imagine. ;)

Anyway, if they can keep the 4th film as a single movie and not try to turn one story into a trilogy, I'll watch it.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
Johnny Depp signed up for the next one for one simple reason -- he wants the money so that he and Terry Gilliam can get a second shot at making their Don Quixote movie.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Johnny Depp signed up for the next one for one simple reason -- he wants the money so that he and Terry Gilliam can get a second shot at making their Don Quixote movie.

After seeing the excellent job Terry Gilliam did with Baron Munchausen, I'd see that one in a heartbeat...

great, now I'm going to be singing "Golden Helmet of Mambrino" all day...

frankthedm

First Post
After my favorite character, the kraken, was cheese-killed in part 3, I'm none too enthused about another PotC movie.

Now Depp as the mad hatter in a Tim Burton remake of Alice Wonderland does sound intriguing :] Though does anyone else feel Burton uses Depp as a stand in for himself? Not exactly a 'mary sue', but along those lines.

Remove ads