Dungeon 159 - Menace of the Icy Spire

Shroomy

Adventurer
I didn't see a thread about this, but this adventure was released last night. You can download it here. Its fairly short and set in the Gray Vale region of the Forgotten Realms (near the town of Loudwater, no surprise given its prominence in the FRCG). Its a nifty little adventure that I think could be adaptable to just about any campaign setting. There's still a couple of editing snafus in there (it looks like a trap block is missing and one of the monsters is said to use a power it doesn't have), but overall, I'm quite pleased with the adventure.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity, anything new in there? (Monster/trap/hazard, terrain feature, item)?

Yes, almost all of the monsters are either new or modifications of existing monsters. They also model
a terrible blizzard
with a skill challenge.

Rechan

Adventurer
That sounds fairly excellent actually.

Although I do scratch my head when I see a "modified" monster, which is just the MM monster that's been leveled up and given an NPC name. Because it takes me a moment or two to realize 'heeey wait that's just been leveled up'.

Although I am disappointed I won't have the opportunity to use the blizzard. My game is set in a jungle. :)

Shroomy

Adventurer
That sounds fairly excellent actually.

Although I do scratch my head when I see a "modified" monster, which is just the MM monster that's been leveled up and given an NPC name. Because it takes me a moment or two to realize 'heeey wait that's just been leveled up'.

Although I am disappointed I won't have the opportunity to use the blizzard. My game is set in a jungle. :)

Not quite. [sblock]
The modified monsters are goblin snipers and cutters that have cold resistance and ice walking abilities. Their leader is an elite version of the goblin hexer that uses cold powers.[/sblock]

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Didn't read through the adventure, but if Shroomy says it's good I believe him. However, Dungeon still isn't including high res, full page artwork and keyed and unkeyed maps. Since it's currently free, I downloaded it (I never turn down a free adventure, even if I think it's bad, it may have a few encounters I like or may be able to be fixed). However, this very well may be the last adventure released during the free preview, and therefore WoTC last chance to show me an adventure with the format and features I want, as a minimum, for these adventures to be worth paying for. They haven't done that, so I'll enjoy my last free adventure from WoTC and bid them goodbye.

teach

First Post
unless they read this thread. :)

I like the idea of such a skill challenge, makes me as a DM realize a skill challenge doesn't have to be only about finding information or talking to someone.

Stoat

Adventurer
My players are about to head into a tropical/jungle area by ship. Looks to me like it'd be fairly easy to turn the "blizzard" skill challenge into a "typhoon" skill challenge. Hell, with the right description, it could be an "erupting volcano" skill challenge.

Remove ads