Escape from the Horned Hold

mac1504

Explorer
The PCs in my campaign were recently captured while trying to assault the duergar fortress of the Horned Hold in H2:Thunderspire Labyrinth. They were able to discover the back way in, but quickly became overwhelmed when several encounters joined in the fray. Only one of the party perished, the rest were taken captive. Now, they are manacled and stripped of all equipment in the slave pits of the Horned Hold.

I would like to create a skill challenge for them to formulate a plan of escape. I'd like to structure the skill challenge so that as they succeed at different points in the challenge, they gather ideas and exploits that they can use to form a plan of escape. I think the players will feel a much larger sense of accomplishment if they succeed at formulating the plan and then executing it.

One idea I've been working on would be Insight related: the duergar clan head has sent for reinforcements to replace those soldiers he lost in battle to the PCs. Along with the reinforcements comes a captain that is causing some strife among the other duergar as he challenges the clan head for leadership of the stronghold. With a few successful Insights the PCs are able to pick up on the struggle and perhaps exploit it with a few Diplomacy checks (or possibly even Intimidate). Sowing some confusion could help in either covering their escape or making the foes easier in the ensuing combats.

I would love to hear if any one else has any other ideas of exploits or seeds that could be exposed through the skill challenge that would lend in the PCs plans for escape.

The party is made up of:
Half Elf cleric of Kord
Elf Ranger
Human Fighter
Dragonborn Paladin
Eladrin Wizard (actually she is Gently Reposed inside of a Handy Haversack)

Thanks in advance!

mac1504

Explorer
Our group started out playing through the skill challenge by play-by-post and they've succeeded on a few Perception rolls that have allowed them to discover that the manacles about their feet are relatively worn-out and could be broken open. They've also spotted a decent sized rock (could be used to break open the manacles) and a bowl of spilled gruel (if they can get to it, it may prove to be a good lubricant for getting out of the manacles binding hands).

Each of them is going to be tortured for information by the head of the duergar fortress. Through that, I think I will let a successful perception check to spot their gear.

I still think there needs to be more a few more elements they can discover that will put them in a better position to stage an escape, despite their current condition (unarmed and unarmored, and only with a few hit points and healing surges).

Any thoughts?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I generally like to present what the bad guys are doing and then turn it open to the players to respond in whatever way they choose, but...

- One of the PCs might spot that secret door that leads to Murkelmor's room. That could come in handy, if they know the boss is out.
- They see that no one ever comes in through the north door, and they hear that there are undead within.
- They hear that someone got blasted by the arbalesters because they took the south bridge. "Yeah, that's why I always take the north bridge."

Hope that helps some.

mac1504

Explorer
- One of the PCs might spot that secret door that leads to Murkelmor's room. That could come in handy, if they know the boss is out.
- They see that no one ever comes in through the north door, and they hear that there are undead within.
- They hear that someone got blasted by the arbalesters because they took the south bridge. "Yeah, that's why I always take the north bridge."

Hope that helps some.

Thanks- I forgot about the room with the undead, I can definitely work that into a successful Perception check. Perhaps they can flee in to that room to get a rest before attempting the escape.

They already took out the arbalesters in their first attack, but they've been warned that reinforcements are only a few days away (give them a sense of urgency to plan and execute the escape).

mac1504

Explorer
I generally like to present what the bad guys are doing and then turn it open to the players to respond in whatever way they choose, but...

The skill challenge essentially allows the same scenario- I'm just looking for items or elements that the party can exploit to give them an edge in their out-numbered and armed situation.

Remove ads