Did You Buy the First Three 4e Core Books?

Did You Buy the First Three 4e Core Books?

Jasperak

Adventurer
No, because I read a good portion of the PH and played in KOTS and found the $60-100 buy-in not worth it, in addition to WOTC's business model that will have more "Core" rules coming out yearly. I don't upgrade my computer yearly to play the latest games, and I won't pay the same amount yearly ($60-100) to keep up-to-date. That is also why I will no longer have anything to do with the RPGA.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yup, got the Boxed Set of the Core Books. It was also at a great price, got to love combination of a sale going on and them using the US price :)

Treebore

First Post
Nope. Played KoTS with that PDF and then bought the Starter Set. I really like the Starter set. I think its better than the ones they did for 3E. Still, don't like 4E enough to buy into it though.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Did You Buy the First Three 4E Core Books?

Yes.

Followed the previews and teasers religiously. Loved almost every thing that was presented in those previews and teasers. I was probably anticipating this edition even more eagerly than I did 3E. Got my books in the mail, opened them up, started reading and...pthhhhhhhht (sound of baloon deflating).

However, not a complete loss. I feel that most of the ideas presented in the previews and teasers are still very good ideas. I've attempted to apply quite a few of them to my houseruled 3.5 game. I've kept the core 4E books because they are still a good example of how to execute some of those ideas, especially powers (which I've added some to my 3.5E classes, in a more limited manner than 4E, as "special maneuvers"). Adding some of these concepts to 3E has made my game closer to what 4E should have been, even more than 4E itself is to what 4E should have been (or at least what I thought 4E should have been).

But, even though I haven't switched (as I selected for the other poll), I did buy the core books (as I selected for this poll), which as far as WoTC is concerned is probably all that matters (except for supplemental 4E material, which I'll address in the companion poll).

Wow! I've taken so many polls lately I may have to start paying Poll Tax!

Remove ads