another scout-dervish build, with chili

aragos

First Post
Here's my problem: i'm about to play in a epic-level campaign. All PCs are 21st level, all well build up.
We are only allowed to take a max. of 3 classes/pr.classes (in any combination, but max. 3 of'em) (no, not 3 classes AND 3 pr.classes).
And.
We're only allowed to make reference to this books: the Complete list (adventurer, scoundrel, etc), DMG, PH, PHII, Epic levels, Magic Items Compendium.

I'm trying to exploit as much as i can, for the first time in my life, mostly because i've already seen some of the others PCs and they're HUGE. No, not that huge. MORE. MUCH MORE.
I just don't want to end up doing nothing more than tapestry.

Oh, and we've got 900k GP to buy stuff.
Given that premise...

I got lucky with the dices: 18 - 17 - 17 - 16 - 14 - 14.
My character of choice is a human, Fighter2, scout 9, dervish 10.
feats are: 2WF, I2WF, G2WF, P2WF (epic feat), weapon focus (scimitars), dodge, mobility, combat expertise, improved critical, elusive target, acrobatic strike, improved skirmish.
Base saving throws are 9 - 13 - 10 (extremely well balanced).
Stuff:
belt +6 str: 36k
gloves +6 dex: 36k
ring +5 ac deflection: 50k
amulet + 5 natural AC: 50k
mithril chainshirt +5 heavy fortification: 100k
tome for str + 5: 137k
tome for dex + 4: 110k
pair of scimitars +5 ignoring dam. reduction (don't know the eng. name): 196k the pair
Still have about 180k golds

Any help welcome. I'm not good at this stuff, never been one for this sort of munchkinism, and not sure wether it's good or not.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english!

Thatwackyned

First Post
SPRING ATTACK [GENERAL]

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. You can’t use this feat if you are wearing heavy armor.
You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.
Special: A fighter may select Spring Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Also look into a ring of invis at will. Worth about 50k, but always attacking a flat footed opponent is good.

aragos

First Post
nice feat, but which one you dump off the boat?
For the ring..... interesting, but i was looking for something more connected to the pc (like the one with Boots of Skating and the Ring of Entropic Deflection, giving me an amazing 50% to miss to any ranged attack requiring an attack roll against me)
With the boots of skating i'd have a Dervish on Ice, moving like the dancers of Holiday on Ice, only with 2 weapons.
For the AoO i was looking, instead, for something increasing my tumble skill (already at 44, given 24 ranks, a +10 dex, and the opportunity to take 10)

Still, thanks!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Not sure Spring Attack is necessary, if you just have multiple pairs of boots of side stepping (MIC, 3/day can take a bonus 5 ft step as a swift action, and thus move 10 ft with two of them and get your full attack skirmish). There are other items in MIC to help get full skirmish attacks, and there's an epic feat to full attack on a charge you should look into for later, even if you don't yet meet the pre-requisites.

If you still want Spring Attack, note you can drop the Mobility feat slot for it. --MIC has a +1 light armor enhancement called "Mobility" that gives you the feat. In fact...I'd drop the Mobility feat for that regardless and do that if Mobility is important to you to have. It's really not worth an actual feat, IMHO.

Far as AC whoring goes, never forget the +1 insight AC Ioun Stone for only 5000 gp. It's cheaper than upgrading a ring of protection +1 to +2!

Other ideas: Get greater truedeath weapon crystal so you you can skirmish undead. I think there's also one for constructs. Again, in MIC (seriously, study that book. It most likely offers you by FAR the most potential for powering up your character of the list of books allowed.)

EDIT: Actually, with Dervish Dance, maybe you won't need to worry about getting full attacks so much...

Runestar

First Post
Dervish Handbook.

The Dervish Handbook - Wizards Community

Hopefully, you can find something you like. The most basic build consists of 4 classes (swashbuckler3/fighter2/dervish10/tempest5), so that may not be a viable option for you, possibly leaving the warblade10/dervish10 as your sole (but no less viable) alternative, since the rest involve no fewer than 5 classes+prcs.

aragos

First Post
already know the site, thank you very much!
no, they usually use much more classes, and from much more manuals....
saw the warblade-dervish, but i found it lacking the great compatibility of the scout

aragos

First Post
Other ideas: Get greater truedeath weapon crystal so you you can skirmish undead. I think there's also one for constructs.

EDIT: Actually, with Dervish Dance, maybe you won't need to worry about getting full attacks so much...

Not sure that with the GTWCrystal i can skirmish them. The book refers only to sneak and critical hits (still a good thing, having improved critical). There is a faq somewhere about? just to be sure about the skirmish...

don't get what you mean talking about full attacks.... can explain, please?

Thx!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure that like Sudden Strike, Skirmish counts as sneak attack dice for all purposes and such, could be wrong. If so, it's a reasonable houserule to run by the DM.

As for full attacks...you have all the way up to perfect two-weapon fighting. You are adding a fistful of skirmish dice to basically every damage roll you make. You only benefit from those off-hand attacks if you can full attack (generally, there are various feats and such to get around this). So...you want to full attack. As much as possible. That's it, really.

For some other advice: You're epic. You have NO excuse to not be able to fly, and if you expect to melee enemies, you'd better be able to. At least get the boots of flying for 3/day or a wand if not an item for at will flight. You should also be able to deal with invisibility, fighting foes attacking from other planes of existence (like a wizard with blink or ethereal jaunt + transdimensional spell), and various other magics that will be plentiful by that level. A way to reduce miss chance, even the humble Blind Fight feat, may be worthwhile.

You rely on mobility a lot, so you NEED a means of freedom of movement. I know scout gives it eventually, but you're not that high level in it yet. I'd say just plop down the cash for the ring and have it constantly, but at the least get a Vest of Free Movement (MIC, part of the Fleet Warrior's Array item set, all of which may be useful to you). It gives you 3/day freedom of movement as the spell for 3 rounds, swift action to activate. And costs ~1/3 what the ring does.

Last edited:

Darklone

Forget the Fighter, go something like Ranger8/Scout3 with Swift Hunter. Thanks to the Ranger TWF you'll have even more feats, horribly nice swift action Ranger spells and additionally +6 against your worst favored enemies. And your skirmish damage will be higher.

Additionally: Get Undead and constructs as favored enemies and you can skirmish them.

aragos

First Post
Forget the Fighter, go something like Ranger8/Scout3 with Swift Hunter. Thanks to the Ranger TWF you'll have even more feats, horribly nice swift action Ranger spells and additionally +6 against your worst favored enemies. And your skirmish damage will be higher.

Additionally: Get Undead and constructs as favored enemies and you can skirmish them.

Sounds interesting, but how can i get more feats this way? The feats are the main problem with this build, as i need 12 of them (at least). Now i have to take another one (Swift Hunter, really nice btw) and not taking the 2 coming from the 2 levels as a fighter. In addiction, i don't get the bonus 2 from the 4th and 8th level Scout. I take, instead, the 2WF and I2WF from ranger. So:
My way: human, fighter (x2), scout (x2), 8 (levels 1-21) ----> 13 feats
Your way: human, scout (assuming i go 4th scout and 7th ranger), 8 (levels 1-21), 2 bonus (2WF, I2WF) ----> 12 feats, one less than above, and i need one extra (Swift Hunter).

I'm concerning about the feats necessary to make this build work (the ones i listed in my first post). Am i missing something?

Last edited:

Remove ads