• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another scout-dervish build, with chili

Darklone

I'm concerning about the feats necessary to make this build work (the ones i listed in my first post). Am i missing something?
Right, I was wrong about the scout bonus feats when you go mainly ranger as Swift Hunter...

Well, ranger6 gives TWF and ITWF... Scout 4 one extra feat... human 1... levels add 7. You're two feats short with Swift Hunter and you can't take 10 dervish levels. :(

You might add more ranger levels for more TWF feats and "high" level spells... and less dervish levels.

aragos

First Post
Right, I was wrong about the scout bonus feats when you go mainly ranger as Swift Hunter...

Well, ranger6 gives TWF and ITWF... Scout 4 one extra feat... human 1... levels add 7. You're two feats short with Swift Hunter and you can't take 10 dervish levels. :(

You might add more ranger levels for more TWF feats and "high" level spells... and less dervish levels.

that would mean losing for sure the thousand cuts (impressive one) and most likely, in order: 1 dance/day, tireless dance, 5ft movement, and (maybe) another 1 dance/day, limiting them to 3, with less movement, and ending up fatigued.
The dervish levels i fear can't be diminished below 10, and even if i like the cross-classing from Swift Hunter, with my limitation to a max of 3 classes there seem to be no way to use it. Unless someone think something really cool.
Thx for your help, anyway. The Swift Hunter/ranger was a very nice idea!

Shin Okada

Explorer
How scout using Complete Champion version of Ranger alternative class feature (Champion of Wild)? That way, you can take Swift Hunter feat and get some extra feats.

aragos

First Post
How scout using Complete Champion version of Ranger alternative class feature (Champion of Wild)? That way, you can take Swift Hunter feat and get some extra feats.

Must valuate pros and cons. Still, very interesting idea, i totally missed this book. Now the Ranger-Scout looks possible. I'll think about it, and edit this post later.

Thank you!

edit: ok, i definitely like it. I think i'll follow your advice, you wise man :)
One major issue left: how to protect my PC from spells against Will and Fort? Reflex should be about 26, and i think it's really nice, but W & F are about 12 and 13. Need some protection, there.
Ideas?

Last edited:

From what I saw this item has yet to be brought up and it would not take up your armor slot so it should be fine, provided your DM doesn't overule it.
Frankly as any class that gets the extra dmg from either Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike or Skirmish this is a must have.

Book is Magic Item Compendium.
Rogue's Vest - 18,000 Gold. While wearing this vest, you gain a +2 competence bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and a +2 competence bonus on Reflex saves. In addition, if you have the skirmish, sneak attack, or sudden strike ability, you deal an extra 1d6 points of damage when making such an attack.

At its best it's a great way to up your stealthiness and damages (which only require you to move 10 ft in combat if you use skirmish) And at its lowest it provides you a +2 on your Reflex which is very welcomed by Scout 5 when you have Evasion.

Very simply put it's one of the best items for any rogue varient class.
As a side note, Spring Attack is a phenomenal ability to have for any Scout planning to utilize Skirmish with either a ranged or melee weapon. (I believe when using it with a ranged you're able to simply leap into the 30ft range maximum for Skirmish from an enemy and then siply leap out. Which on many foes, primarily armored ones with lowered Movement Speed, this could make you virtually untouchable while you just keep pounding damage into them.)

Ranger would be a nice way to allow you to do your skirmish damage to an undead by taking the Undead Favored Enemy, however Magic Item Compendium yet again can remedy this, provided your DM allows it to be used in such a context. (By this I mean that it gives the exact effect of Favored Enemy though does not say it "grants you the Favored Enemy ability" so whether or not it grants it to you is up to the DM when you present the idea of purchasing it.)

Enemy Spirit Pouch - 21,000 GP. This item is keyed to a single type of creature. A pouch keyed to Humanoids or Outsiders must be keyed to a subtype as described in the Ranger's Favored Enemy ability. While wearing an enemy spirit pouch you gain a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls against creatures of this type. If you are a Ranger, the pouch increases your favored enemy bonus against creatures of this type by 2. If you don't have the favored enemy ability, the pouch grants you a +2 bonus on damage rolls and certain skill checks as if that type of creature were your favored enemy. If a creature of the type keyed to the pouch wears that pouch it receives one negative level. The negative level remains for as long as the pouch is worn ad diappears when it is no longer carried. The negative level never results in actual level loss, but cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the pouch is worn.

Remove ads