Any word on the GSL?

Jack99

Adventurer
I have to disagree with you a bit here: the current GSL does impact adventures quite a bit, because it doesn't allow you to reproduce monster stats from the monster manual.

It's so convenient to be able to run an encounter using just the adventure itself that I can't believe companies will be producing them with:

"Orc Berzerker, see p XXX of the MM"

So I'm hopeful we can get away from that at least, thankyouverymuch.

--Steve

Which is why I said adventure conversion. While it is still an issue to not be able to reproduce monsters straight out of the MM, I haven't found it a big deal. YMMV OFC.

Scribble

First Post
I have to disagree with you a bit here: the current GSL does impact adventures quite a bit, because it doesn't allow you to reproduce monster stats from the monster manual.

It's so convenient to be able to run an encounter using just the adventure itself that I can't believe companies will be producing them with:

"Orc Berzerker, see p XXX of the MM"

So I'm hopeful we can get away from that at least, thankyouverymuch.

--Steve

I don't believe that's entirely true though. You can reprint monsters for the purpose of showing mechanical effects of a change, and you can print your own monsters. I believe you can change the monster's "powers," and reprint the stats to show the effect the new powers have on that monster.

It's so easy to make the monsters different in 4e, it seems lazy to me just to drop all "standard" monsters into a published adventure. Changing the powers makes the monsters feel more like unique living things, and not just another monster X. The players never no what to expect no matter how many times they've faced the same monster type.

I'm not entirely sure I'm correct on that though.

Yes. I know for a fact there is.
Of the big players, who?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just curious who you are referring to and on what grounds (because I try to stay on top of these things). I suppose Paizo and Green Ronin might since both were clear in rejecting that version of the GSL but leaving open the possibility of supporting a new one.

However, even though Paizo has mentioned on their boards they might explore some 4e options, they have also been very clear that they are always omgsocrazybusy and supporting two systems to any significant degree is pretty much out of the question. If the GSL were improved to their liking, I would expect GameMastery type products (item cards and other "tools"), but I would be surprised if they did much in the way of 4e books. I suppose they might eventually toss an adventure or two out there just to gauge sales numbers (they are smart enough business people to do that), but I don't see even that happening for a long ways out, and unless the sales numbers make them drool, I'd see them still focusing 95%+ of their effort on Pathfinder.

I could see Green Ronin jumping on board with a better GSL, but they were moving away from standard d20 long before 4e came out and have enough product lines going strong to probably keep them busy for a long time.

That being said, I think it would be really great to see those two produce 4e products, I'm just skeptical that it will happen to any significant degree regardless of how nice the GSL is.

However, with small publishers, I imagine there's plenty. Heck, if the GSL gets better, I've said I'll switch from occasional freelancer to occasional publisher. Indications of a better GSL coming out someday have been good enough that I'm writing products now. However, I'm also keeping in mind that if a better GSL doesn't materialize, then I'm producing them all for Pathfinder instead. The lack of a GSL acceptable to me is the only thing holding them back. I'm pretty small time, of course, but I imagine I'm not alone in my sentiments.

But if I've missed some clear declarations of willingness to support a better GSL, from small or large publishers, I'd like to see them. Necromancer is the only that I have seen clearly indicate that they need a better GSL (and their website update yesterday makes it pretty clear that they think the new GSL is very close and acceptable to them, which bodes well for me).

Jack99

Adventurer
I never claimed it was a big third party producer. DaveMage asked about any company. Either way, as you say, plenty of the smaller ones will be (very) interested in an improved GSL.

I also agree that people hoping for lots of GR and Paizo stuff for 4e will most likely be very disappointed, no matter how open the GSL becomes.

I never claimed it was a big third party producer. DaveMage asked about any company.
That's what I assumed, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Looking back, my first question does look like I'm calling you out on it. That wasn't intended, I was mainly wondering if there was info I wasn't aware of.

I wonder how many small PDF publishers would make a resurgence with a better GSL. Personally, I'd love to see Dreamscarred kick it into gear again, but I'm probably preferring them to work on better psionics for Pathfinder, but it would be interesting to see what else they come up with for 4e.

I'm trying to think of other small publishers still waiting in the wings. I know a TON vanished, but I figured they were just gone for good.

Jack99

Adventurer
I wonder how many small PDF publishers would make a resurgence with a better GSL. Personally, I'd love to see Dreamscarred kick it into gear again, but I'm probably preferring them to work on better psionics for Pathfinder, but it would be interesting to see what else they come up with for 4e.

Trust me, I am very interested in seeing what DSP are doing as well ;)

Remove ads