Trying to start a new game

kolikeos

First Post
I am trying to organize a game with 3 of my gaming buddies.

We haven't played for a year or 2, mostly because of lack of time/real life on my friends' part and the fact that none of us want to GM.
Now one of them stepped up to the task, one how has never been the GM before. And it's up to me to organize everything (I'll be lucky if I don't end up running the game as well).

His system of choice is GURPS, for which I have the 2 core books and there's also the basic rules for free downloading. 3 of us, including me and the GM, are somewhat familiar with the rules. The last player, although willing to play in this system, has informed me that he is not even going to look at the basic rules.

His setting of choice is Earth Dawn, a setting only he is familiar with. Which is all fine and good, nobody knew anything about my made-up setting when I was the GM. The problem is that he seems to be too attached to the details of this world, so much so that I fear we will be listening to him telling stories about the world rather than playing in it.

Lack of time is still an issue for them; we would only be able to play every 2nd or 3rd weekend at the best of circumstances. And the GM does not have much time to prepare between sessions.

Another problem is the lack of cooperation from one of the players (who used to be the GM in the past). In addition to his refusal to learn the rules he refuses to do any game related homework, like making a character.

This seems like a desperate attempt on my part to start a game; they are not nearly as thrilled as I am about the idea. The last 2 times I tried to start a game (with me as GM) it ended prematurely after 1 or 2 sessions.

I would very much like to receive some feedback and suggestions.
Should I drop this? Should I kick the uncooperative player? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I'd try to find gamers or converts with noticable quantities of free time. If I couldn't, I'd give up the dream of face-to-face gaming in the near future. (And in reality, I have. *sigh*)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I can see the points of contention.

* Why is the new DM leaving the task of game prep to you? I can see where he would want and value your input, and perhaps it would be helpful if you "co-GM" for the first few adventures while he gets used to the new feel of the GM seat... but impart on the new GM that it's his world and his rules, and encourage him to assert this wherever possible.

* The player who doesn't want to look at the new rules probably doesn't see the point in familiarizing himself wit the rules and making a character just to play once or twice and have the game fizzle.

This might be a little out there, and most players poo-poo the idea, but have you considered running on a rotating GM schedule? Each GM runs 1-3 adventures as a mini-series, then passes off to the next. You could do it Stargate-like style with multiple worlds and one common jump point with a regular cast.

Last edited:

If one player is unhappy with the system then suggest he run something in the system of his choice. If he is unwilling to run and still complains about the system you won't lose much by dropping him. Unsatisfied players will drag down the game and all your hard work sooner or later anyway.

I'm kind of confused by the concept of refusing to play X when in a situation where there is not a lot of gaming activity/ groups to play with.

kolikeos

First Post
I'd try to find gamers or converts with noticable quantities of free time. If I couldn't, I'd give up the dream of face-to-face gaming in the near future. (And in reality, I have. *sigh*)
Recruiting new players doesn't seem like a likely option at the moment, although I would jump on the opportunity if it presented itself. There is another person I can bring into the game as a player, one who actually has more free weekends than the others. Her style is very hacky and slashy, which I hoped would not be the main event in the upcoming game. It's an option I'll consider.
I can see the points of contention.

* Why is the new DM leaving the task of game prep to you? I can see where he would want and value your input, and perhaps it would be helpful if you "co-GM" for the first few adventures while he gets used to the new feel of the GM seat... but impart on the new GM that it's his world and his rules, and encourage him to assert this wherever possible.

* The player who doesn't want to look at the new rules probably doesn't see the point in familiarizing himself wit the rules and making a character just to play once or twice and have the game fizzle.

This might be a little out there, and most players poo-poo the idea, but have you considered running on a rotating GM schedule? Each GM runs 1-3 adventures as a mini-series, then passes off to the next. You could do it Stargate-like style with multiple worlds and one common jump point with a regular cast.
I'm not actually preparing the game or co-GMing; I'm only doing the phone calls and arranging a meet up at my place.
During the game I want to be like any other player, without taking part in the GM's role. I will of course give all the advice and encouragement I can.

I did bring up the option of GMing in turns, but no one else wants to GM. I would have happily done just that but the others are not with me.
Another thing to consider is buying an adventure and running it. It's perfect for the time-pressed DM.

Quite, except they're playing GURPS. I don't know how much actual GURPS adventure support is out there; most supplements I see are toolboxes for world/setting creation.
A ready made adventure might be a good idea; I'll suggest this to him.
If one player is unhappy with the system then suggest he run something in the system of his choice. If he is unwilling to run and still complains about the system you won't lose much by dropping him. Unsatisfied players will drag down the game and all your hard work sooner or later anyway.

I'm kind of confused by the concept of refusing to play X when in a situation where there is not a lot of gaming activity/ groups to play with.
Yeah, he's being a jerk, kindda. He was the GM for much of the time in the past so I expected him to know how annoying his behavior is.

Remove ads