The Upcoming Adventures thread

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Come up with an idea, submit a proposal. Here's the proposal I submitted for The Lost Workshop.

[sblock=The Lost Workshop] The Lost Workshop

This adventure is open to just about any characters.

Rough outline
* Get quest (Treasure 1)
* Skill Challenge: Sailing to the island
* Combat: Beach Landing or Shipwreck (Treasure 2)
* Combat: Outer Cave
* Puzzle: One door, twelve pedestals, a sack full of coins, and a mechanical lift.
* Combat: The Workshop (Treasure 3-5)
* Skill Challenge(only if first Skill Challenge failed); the Return to Daunton
* Final reward (Small bonus treasure)

Quest:
A cowled figure walks into the Tavern, pins a sheet of parchment to a table with a dagger - magical tattoos briefly visible on his skin as he does so - and leaves.

"Agents sought for to find lost workshop on uncharted island. Gold will to be paid on departure of Eastside Dock, small black ship of named Nexal at midnight."

The party finds a small ship at the docks, with silent, cowled crew members that deliver a second (barely legible) note and a treasure parcel(gold, appropriate to party level):

"Island of Skara has ruin in cave where to find <word intelligible>. Return to Daunton and agent will meet with final reward once island is fully <word intelligible>." It is signed S.

Skill Challenge 1
The party must sail through a storm-tossed sea aboard the ship, the resulting skill challenge determining which encounter they run into.

Combat 1a (~N+1)
If the party succeeds at the challenge, they arrive with the intact ship at a dock on the island, where they are attacked by crude metal humanoid constructs, which can be destroyed by taking out a large gem (blaster trap) mounted in the cliff over the beach. Either way, they must fight their way onto the island.

Combat 1b (~N+2)
If the party fails the skill challenge, they lose a healing surge, the ship, and the crew, and arrive wrecked on a reef with another gem (blaster trap) atop a stone tower amidst the reef. They are swarmed by more constructs and must fight their way onto the island.

In either, they find discarded chests and bags of coins amidst bones on the beach, imprinted with strange designs.

The constructs are powered by strange gems that give them elemental powers. The gems explode when the constructs are destroyed.

Combat 2 + Puzzle (~N)
Once on the island, they find the cave, must fight another group of constructs and must solve a puzzle to open the door leading deeper into the workshop. The puzzle involves putting the coins found on the beach in the correct slots on a series of pedestals near the door.

Combat 3 (~N+2)
With the door activated, a mechanical lift takes the party deep underground where they face another cowled figure with the largest construct yet chained to a pedestal. When the party arrives, the cowled figure breaks the chain holding the construct.

The party will presumably defeat the enemy, search the workshop, and discover the cowled figure is a githyanki, his skin covered with magical tattoos. Searching the workshop, they find the tools to build more constructs, a pile of "powered down" constructs without crystals in them, and a handful of crystals (which can be used as consumables similar to whetstones and/or potions), as well as some letters written in a hand pretty much identical to the letters the party received at the beginning of the adventure.

They will also find heaps of treasure - enough to make up for the treasure-less second fight and skill challenge(s) - with a note saying that it is payment from "IV" to "N & S" for "Research and Proposal of Ansar mine material deployment."

As the group leaves, if there are any crew from their ship remaining, they catch a glimpse of the figures under the cowls, seeing that they are constructs identical to the ones the party fought, though these have no crystals. If the crew was all wiped out, the party finds one of them washed ashore and discovers the same.

Skill Challenge 2(Optional)
If the party lost their ship, they will have a final skill challenge to throw together a ship from the wrecks of the ships and sail back to Daunton.

Wrap-up
If they succeed, they arrive at Daunton unscathed in time to find a servant of the original "cowled figure" with a final reward(small bonus treasure parcel), otherwise, they end up floating in wreckage/a rowboat and return to find out that the servant grew tired of waiting and decided they'd died and left.

This adventure will probably be pretty close to 1 full level.

Backstory:

<Two paragraphs about the Imperus Vanguard removed in the off-chance that I ever run a follow-up adventure that involves them>

Nexal betrayed his brother, finishing their most powerful construct while Skavaki was out testing the others and setting it on Skavaki when he returned. Skavaki barely escaped on his brother's ship Nexal with seven basic "empty" (crystal-less) constructs as crew. He arranged to have the party go and take out his brother, so he could return and finish their research later.[/sblock]

The judges e-mailed me back wanting more exact details about the puzzle and I also sent them a few of the monster statblocks since they were all custom.

This was my first adventure, so I tried to make it especially detailed. For the Rerisen Tower I was a bit more vague. I also followed this adventure fairly closely; with the Rerisen Tower I'm deviating from my proposal a bit more.

Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
Nice work Iron Sky, that gives me a good starting point to write run my very own adventure! Now that would be exiting!

Let's hope I manage to come up with something.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Ok, got a bit of time on my hands now. I'll see if I can't get another adventure going this weekend some time. Lets just hope Virtual Battlemat is up by then!

LadyLaw

First Post
I think there are probably about 8 or so characters of various levels in the tavern at the moment. I'm not sure how many of them are 1st/only characters though.

DMDanW

First Post
By my count there are 11 PC's in the Tavern Right now;

Xander Kain, lvl 1 Cleric, 2nd character
Rysethynn, lvl 1 Warden
Auntie Mab, lvl 1 Rogue (Warlock)
Karma, lvl 1 Psion/Cleric
Kasha, lvl 2 Rogue
Shale, lvl 1 Psion, 1st character
Shrakk, lvl 2 Avenger
Krav, lvl 1 Warlord (I think)
Earth lvl 7, Warden
Ram Tiger, lvl 2 Fighter
Firete, lvl 4 Bard
Callen, lvl 8 Wizard

Not sure if they are a first or second character, but it is a start at a list anyway.

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
So I'm working on getting an adventure ready to DM. Hopefully between me and Iron Sky we will be able to clear out most of the tavern. :)

I should have it sent in for approval this weekend.

It is going to be more about role play/character interaction then battles. Well there are battles too. It will not be really really long, though I don't know how long it will take to finish.

I'm new to DMing however.. so be afraid, be very afraid! ;)

Someone

Adventurer
Just to add, Shale is a level 1 psion, 1st character. I created him two days ago and therefore still have to get approval, so I'm not in a hurry to join an adventure.

Remove ads