D&D General The Lost City and Bioshock have a surprisingly large number of parallels

TheGlen

Explorer
Looking at the art for the new book coming out, it got me to thinking about what made the module so well regarded. Then I started seeing how this might have been an inspiration for Rapture, though I doubt that.

Both have:
Isolated city unknown to the rest of the world
Masked inhabitants running around high on something
Mystery on what happened to the people
Lots of people that have gone completely barmy
Multiple factions trying to influence the party
Both are supposed to be a creepy as possible

I do wonder why they are redoing this adventure twice in the same edition. I hope it's good, though I'm not impressed with the art. Would it kill somebody to finally put something next to Zargon for scale? And the Cynidiceans no longer look like cavefish/morlocks/Swedish submariners but just normal people at a company pep rally. Still, more Known World is good thing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Looking at the art for the new book coming out, it got me to thinking about what made the module so well regarded. Then I started seeing how this might have been an inspiration for Rapture, though I doubt that.

Both have:
Isolated city unknown to the rest of the world
Masked inhabitants running around high on something
Mystery on what happened to the people
Lots of people that have gone completely barmy
Multiple factions trying to influence the party
Both are supposed to be a creepy as possible

I do wonder why they are redoing this adventure twice in the same edition. I hope it's good, though I'm not impressed with the art. Would it kill somebody to finally put something next to Zargon for scale? And the Cynidiceans no longer look like cavefish/morlocks/Swedish submariners but just normal people at a company pep rally. Still, more Known World is good thing.
WotC hasn't done this in 5E before, and it seems fairly clear they arenbotgered that Goodman did a take previously.

There are direct lines of connection between the makers of Bioware and TSR.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I do wonder why they are redoing this adventure twice in the same edition.
In WotC's mind, it hasn't been redone yet, since it was licensed out. Obviously, that's just their POV.

The real answer is, "it's good enough source material that someone wanted to license it from us," which makes it, and Barrier Peaks, attractive choices for the new compilation. And the Lost City isn't like most contemporary adventures and even its inspirational material, Red Nails, isn't particularly popular among current fantasy readers (sorry, Conan fans -- watch your blood pressure), so it's a fresh and new adventure for many 5E groups.

There are direct lines of connection between the makers of Bioware and TSR.
Bioshock, not BioWare, and are there, which ones?

I'm aware there are multiple ex-BioWare employees at Archetype Entertainment, but er, again BioWare the company, not BioShock the game, which was made by 2K Boston and 2K Australia, and directed by Ken Levine, who has never worked on D&D or even TT RPG stuff that I'm aware of.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Bioshock, not BioWare, and are there, which ones?

I'm aware there are multiple ex-BioWare employees at Archetype Entertainment, but er, again BioWare the company, not BioShock the game, which was made by 2K Boston and 2K Australia, and directed by Ken Levine, who has never worked on D&D or even TT RPG stuff that I'm aware of.
My bad, I should have said indirect, but I meant Levine: he got started under Warren Spector, if I am not mistaken, who was responsible for Spelljammer, among other things.

TheGlen

Explorer
Where can I see the new Lost City art?
1000001476.jpg
1000001472.jpg

TheGlen

Explorer
In WotC's mind, it hasn't been redone yet, since it was licensed out. Obviously, that's just their POV.

The real answer is, "it's good enough source material that someone wanted to license it from us," which makes it, and Barrier Peaks, attractive choices for the new compilation. And the Lost City isn't like most contemporary adventures and even its inspirational material, Red Nails, isn't particularly popular among current fantasy readers (sorry, Conan fans -- watch your blood pressure), so it's a fresh and new adventure for many 5E groups.
Which also causes another question of why have lost city and pharaoh in the same compilation? Two dungeon crawls set in a desert pyramid seem a bit redundant unless it's a region themed anthology.

Remove ads