D&D General The Lost City and Bioshock have a surprisingly large number of parallels

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which also causes another question of why have lost city and pharaoh in the same compilation? Two dungeon crawls set in a desert pyramid seem a bit redundant unless it's a region themed anthology.
The Dungeons are not really similar at all, however.

My bad, I should have said indirect, but I meant Levine: he got started under Warren Spector, if I am not mistaken, who was responsible for Spelljammer, among other things.
Yeah Spector is one of the first names I remember from gaming in general because I saw his name in the opening credits for Ultima VI and was like "is that the same guy from the DMG?" or some other TSR product and it was a pivotal mental moment for me because from then on I thought a lot more about who actually makes our games and how they are people with jobs and careers not like, lone geniuses just coming up with stuff on a mountaintop or something. I was probably 12 or 13.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah Spector is one of the first names I remember from gaming in general because I saw his name in the opening credits for Ultima VI and was like "is that the same guy from the DMG?" or some other TSR product and it was a pivotal mental moment for me because from then on I thought a lot more about who actually makes our games and how they are people with jobs and careers not like, lone geniuses just coming up with stuff on a mountaintop or something. I was probably 12 or 13.
Kind of the opposite for me: I didn't get deep into researching per-3E stuff until I was in my 30's, ao it was a real head trip to see thst ao many of the video game luminaries of my youth were TSR vets.

The Lost City (usually populated by "degenerates" - a common fear at the time) is a common trope in early 20th century pulp fiction. In addition to REH you will find it in Edgar Rice Burroughs, Doc Savage stories, and lots of other stuff too terrible to be remembered now.

Both the D&D adventure and Bioshock were influenced by these.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Lost City (usually populated by "degenerates" - a common fear at the time) is a common trope in early 20th century pulp fiction. In addition to REH you will find it in Edgar Rice Burroughs, Doc Savage stories, and lots of other stuff too terrible to be remembered now.

Both the D&D adventure and Bioshock were influenced by these.
Justice Arman said in the video that they have edited these Modules for modern inclusive standards, so I am interested to see how the frankly bizarre pulp tropes of a decadent lost civilization come across now.

They really should have anchored a Ghosts of Saltmarsh-style desert anthology.
By which we can deduce that they have no intention of making such an anthology. Probably because of the concerns about ignorant pastiches of Egyptian and other regional cultures.

And, compared to the original module, the cash grab sequels were increasingly bad. No reason to reprint poor quality stuff.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
By which we can deduce that they have no intention of making such an anthology. Probably because of the concerns about ignorant pastiches of Egyptian and other regional cultures.
Given how many other obvious products WotC doesn't make, I don't think it's necessary to ascribe some sort of deep thought to their decisions to not make any given one.

Remove ads