Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

wysiwyg

First Post
DB should only be used when you have no armor or shield bonus, and shouldn't be a better bonus than an average character of the same lvl wearing armor. That would reflect the character using his fighting prowess both armored and unarmored but the armor adding some protection.

If Iwere to keep it simple I would add a DB spot to table 3-1 and give a character the bonus as he lvls like BAB and saves and just add an unarmored spot to the character sheet.

There are a couple of game balance problems that immediately pop to mind:

1. Classes that don't have armor proficiencies gain plenty, whereas those who do have armor proficiencies gain nothing at low and mid levels. The monk for example, now has his normal AC bonuses PLUS his BAB. The arcane classes also gain since they never wear armor. The rogues who do not wear medium or heavy armor because it restricts most of their class skills gain as well. The "tanks" will only really gain once their DBs are higher than the AC bonus provided by the armor and shield - REALLY high levels only. The way you're suggesting does not have equal/fair benefit to the armored classes.

2. Even at really high levels there is an anomaly. It seems a little strange that the armored class, who have been fighting in armor all of their lives, will one day say: "Hey, who needs this metal junk, I'm much better off without it!" The fact that some classes have better armor proficiencies than others, is supposed to give them an advantage throughout their careers. Especially as they have been advancing in their martial prowess with armor all of their lives.

3. Logically, it does not make sense that the DB should not come into play even while wearing armor. The way we understand it, it is a parrying skill. A fighter who is wearing armor, even heavy-heavy armor, is still going to try to the best of his ability to dodge, parry and block. He doesn’t just stand there and say “OK. Give me your best shot buster.”

Sometimes keeping things too simple is not the solution. My suggestion is really not so complicated. Let me sum it up:

AC = 10 + Dex + Size + Shield + BAB + ACP
Touch = 10 + Dex + Size + BAB + ACP
Flat Footed = 10 + Size + Shield + ACP
DR = AC bonus of armor.
This way, all classes benefit proportionally and fairly, at each level.

Walking Dad

First Post
Walking Dad: The monk AC bonus ability I believe is a fair "swap" for favored enemy, but my question was a little vage. For cocept of the character why would they gain this bonus the favored enemy was because of the hunting (remember you get bonuses on skill checks as well as combat bonuses) and as they become better hunters they gain more benefit against the Tamor and then use these same skills on opponents they are just learning about i.e. a lower bonus vs. new favorites. So my qustion is why the AC bonus and why do they not wear armor -- i'd wear armor if i had to fight a direboar trust me lots of it.

And that feat I would change to this before I would allow it:sorry
Improved Toughness- prerequisite: Con 13 Toughness Feat
Gain +2hp and +1hp/Hit Die or character lvl. Whenever you gain a HD or character lvl gain 1 additional hp.

The concept would be stealth over heavy armor. And if you don't have the armor and hunt the mighty tamor, you will develop an instinct how to avoid it's deadly charge.

The feat is ok. Reminds me of the imp toughness feat from complete warrior:
Improved Toughness- prerequisite: Fort save +2 (or higher)
Gain +1hp/Hit Die or character lvl. Whenever you gain a HD or character lvl gain 1 additional hp.

wysiwyg

First Post
Me again. On a different topic (I am capable of discussing non DB related stuff).

Since we're in the infancy stages of developing unique soldiers for each kingdom (rub my own chest, if I may), I am posting my ideas for them.

I've included the earlier posts before regarding the Pesh soldier (slightly modified).

Here it comes...(next post)

wysiwyg

First Post
Soldier of the Kingdom
Each kingdom has their unique resources, local and geographic topography and threats that challenge them. Because of this, their trained troops need to be trained in order to best defend their country in the best manner. Their unique fighting strategies and skills mirror the above. They are a base class of one if the warrior classes (Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger) with some modifications. They are also enlisted into the king’s army, entitling them to wages from the state coffers. If however, they are dismissed from their service, they may no longer progress as a soldier of their kingdom.
All soldiers, irrespective of their origin have the following traits:

Toughness: A professional soldier’s life caters for dealing with harsh, strenuous and stressful situation that toughen him more than others. He is entitled to 2 extra HP at 1st level plus one extra HP for every soldier level thereafter.

Trained: Due to his military training, each soldier gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls with the weapons used by his army. These weapons however, are the only weapons that he is proficient with.

Moral: Moral is critical to the soldier. One who does not have the heart will flee at the first threat. The professional soldier is trained to cope better in the face of danger. He has a moral score equal to his soldier level +2. Moral is further modified by his Wisdom bonus. Moral is used to counter intimidation or fear effects of any kind.

Presence: The professionally trained soldier will have a reputation for his martial skills. This reputation grants the soldier Intimidate ranks equal to his level. He may add his Strength or Charisma bonus to his intimidation roll (whichever is higher).

Command: Upon reaching 6th level, the soldier is recognised as a troop leader. He gains the leadership feat and is promoted to an officer in the king’s army.

Each kingdom soldiers is a modification or a base class of one of the core classes.

Soldier of the Kingdom of Pesh (Focus on skirmish/scouts/guerrilla tactics)
Men living in the south mountain region of Pesh learn from an early age how to fight the dangerous dire-boars that inhabit the area. These skills are not only used to provide food and hides for their families, but also to protect them from all the other monsters living in the area. Sub-class of the Ranger, with the following modifications:

Weapon proficiencies: dagger, club, short-spear, long-spear, quarterstaff, spear, sling, throwing axe, hand axe, short-bow (and composite).

Level 1: Favored enemy must be animals; lose the wild empathy ability.

Combat Style: Spear & Shield. At 2nd level gain the ability to use a long-spear or spear one handed as long as the other hand has heavy shield in it. Training in throwing regular spears helps with throwing a long-spear, lets him throw a long-spear with a -2 penalty instead of -4. At 6th level further spear throwing training brings the penalty down to zero. Gain the Improved Shield Bash feat. At 11th level when setting a spear or long-spear against a charge you deal triple damage on a successful hit.

Level 4: Lose Animal Companion ability and gain Uncanny Dodge ability, because you don't want to be flat-footed when a dire boar breaks from the woods.

Other: Loses spell casting ability and gain a bonus feat at levels 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th.

TO FOLLOW:
Norden- focus on infantry (heavy and heavier)
Fanshaw- focus artillery/crossbowmen/school of magic (maybe replace with school of magic with fencers)
Reygur- focus light infantry/pike men/sabotage/assassins (pike men seem out of place for sabotage/assassins)
Kurkland- focus on cavalry both light and heavy

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Welcome Aboard Myth and Legend

Sorry for barging in like this and not reading the 7 pages of discussion. Two questions:

1. Room for one more?
2. Please?

One more?? with what I have planned room for 10 more so go ahead make a character and join in the fun we will start July 1 and most of what you need is in this thread please give some feed back on DB if you have a view point. And we try and short names in this thread o.k. to call you ML??

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The concept would be stealth over heavy armor. And if you don't have the armor and hunt the mighty tamor, you will develop an instinct how to avoid it's deadly charge.

The feat is ok. Reminds me of the imp toughness feat from complete warrior:
Improved Toughness- prerequisite: Fort save +2 (or higher)
Gain +1hp/Hit Die or character lvl. Whenever you gain a HD or character lvl gain 1 additional hp.

Your good to go WD change out the Tamor hunters favored enemy for the monks AC ability and make your spear slinger. :D We will start July 1 and do you haave any feedback on the DB talk?

The Improved Toughness Feat you posted didn't have Toughness as a prerequisite?? Then I would call that feat just Tough.

I am off to work be back tonight.

Theroc

First Post
Well, I just need to figure out how to balance trading some fighter features for monk/rogue features, I guess. Mostly Monk unarmed and such. Just trying to think of what things would be a fair trade.

Deskjob

First Post
About Defense Bonus (DB)

Cool idea. But I hate DR.

Opinion: Give everyone the perks of the A1 column from the DB srd20 page. So, you take off your armor, you get a small perk that grows with you.

Downside: Some Npc's and badguys can use it too.

Deskjob

First Post
About Kingdom subclasses

Very sweet concept.

Opinion: Each kingdom gets a specific feat. Pick that kingdom = get that feat at first lvl. The feats will be smaller than most, and Npc's and badguys can gain them too.

Example: proficiency with a specific weapon, +2 against poisons, +1 against an animal, or a +1 skill bonus.

Remove ads