• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That definitely appeals. And the Wis has the side-effect of boosting Spot.

Speaking of which,
They have seven eyes, arranged in a ring around their heads. These eyes area pus-like yellow-white with no discernible pupils. Because of the arrangement of the eyes, it is impossible to sneak up on a horg’s blindside. Although the rest of the body is bilaterally symmetrical, the bulbous head is asymmetrical, with no obvious analogues of ears or nostrils.
Horgs have no spoken language. In fact, they seem to have no sound-prodcuing organs at all. The only sound they ever make is the dry rustling of their wing membranes when they fly.
All-around vision? Maybe deaf?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Definitely all-around vision, but I'm not sure about deaf. I see it more as a racial bonus on Move Silently checks, but I'm open to discussion. :)

Since the claws are scimitar-like, how about rather than making them deal the ridiculous-for-Medium-size 2d10 damage, let's have 'em do 1d8/18-20?

freyar

Let's ditch deaf, the racial Move Silently bonus works much better for them.

I can agree to that change for the claw damage. Call them "scimitar-claws"?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Agreed to all-around vision, racial bonus to move silently. Can't we at least have 1d10 claws? I like the expanded critical range, though.

Cleon

Legend
Sorry for being late to this party. These things seem like Native Outsiders. If we make them Extraplanar Magical Beasts then they won't be immune to Holy/Unholy Word like the description says (unless we give them some funky ability to explain it).

As for the Claws, I'd be tempted to make them 2d6 damage. These things are nasty.

Oh, and there's no reason to assume they're deaf. Just because they're quiet doesn't mean they can't hear you. Although, I would doubt they'd put many skill points in Listen, since they live most of their lives in space!

Demiurge's proposed ability scores look fine.

freyar

Hmm, you're right. I'm not sure why demiurge said holy word only affects Outsiders.

But Outsider is a little tough -- what do they exemplify? And native is also a hard sell, since it's suspected that they're extraplanar and they seem to originate in the Ethereal plane. Might be best just to give them a special ability. Not sure.

I kind of like 1d10 or maybe 1d12 with 18-20 threat range.

freyar

We could just give them essentially dimensional lock on themselves or some other appropriate Su ability.

Cleon

Legend
We could just give them essentially dimensional lock on themselves or some other appropriate Su ability.

Extraplanar Magical Beast with a "funky ability" explanation for why you can't banish them is fine by me. It couldn't be dimensional lock as such, since that would prevent them ethereal jaunting.

Now I wonder whether these things originate from the same place as 3E's Ethereal Marauders & Filchers? Imagine a world were most living things can Ethereal Jaunt...

Remove ads