Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Prestidigitation! :lol: Actually, given the low HD of these things, maybe that doing a minor amount of damage isn't a bad idea.

Cleon

Legend
Considering that the snakes only have a few HD and are adapted to melding with the carpet, I'd be fine with reducing the damage to 2d6 or so (and reducing the Fort DC). As for spells, I'm not sure what to use, but that listing can provide some inspiration perhaps. What do you all think?

Contrariwise, if the snake takes 5d6 damage upon expulsion then it could explain why destroying the carpet often destroys the snake, since that'll typically do more hit points damage then an average carpet snake has it'll usually emerge unconscious or dying.

Cleon

Legend
By the way, I notice a couple of errors in the current stats.

Firstly, its bite attack should be +7 melee (BAB +3, size +1, Weapon Finesse & Dex +3)

Secondly, the Camouflage write up has "In addition, while it is unmerging with the carpet" - unmerged?

Now what feats do you fancy for it, Ability Focus (poison) is a pretty obvious pick and I'm thinking either Alertness or another combat feat for the other - Great Fortitude [Fort +6], Iron Will [Will +4] or Weapon Focus (bite) [bite +8 melee) all seem tempting.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think unmerging was intentional, but "emerging" would work better.

How about AF and Improved Initiative for the feats? Get the jump on more opponents that way.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Contrariwise, if the snake takes 5d6 damage upon expulsion then it could explain why destroying the carpet often destroys the snake, since that'll typically do more hit points damage then an average carpet snake has it'll usually emerge unconscious or dying.
Cleon, did you see the bit in the proposed write-up about the destruction of the carpet? There's an additional Fort save for the snake to avoid being killed outright.

Emerging is fine, and those feats sound good.

Are we going to write an SQ about being bonded to certain masters, or do we want to leave that as flavor? I kind of like making it "official" in the mechanics, but it's no big deal.

Cleon

Legend
Cleon, did you see the bit in the proposed write-up about the destruction of the carpet? There's an additional Fort save for the snake to avoid being killed outright.

The "Destroying the carpet completely expels the snake as above and kills it instantly unless it succeeds at a DC 15? Fortitude save" bit in freyar's post 148?

Afraid I didn't notice it buried in the middle of the paragraph.

Suppose that would work, but I'd prefer a higher DC so it's usually fatal (DC18? DC20?)

Are we going to write an SQ about being bonded to certain masters, or do we want to leave that as flavor? I kind of like making it "official" in the mechanics, but it's no big deal.

Sounds more like flavour. Could do a "Training a Carpet Snake" subentry if you like.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good idea. In fact, let's put all the ranks in Move Silently, since it already gains a hefty racial and size bonus to Hide.

Updated.

Organization: Solitary or x (2-20)

Challenge Rating: x

Treasure: x

Alignment: Always chaotic evil?

Advancement: x

Carpet snakes are 4 to 6 feet long and weigh x pounds.

Carpet snakes cannot speak, but understand Common?

Remove ads