New Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

BenBrown

First Post
"Lad! Ye dan' know wha' ye've fand! Tha's Rioc Parvel! Ole Arkus' spot!" The tiny sailor is bordering on excitement, rage, and suspicion, "An' 'ood tha likes'a ya three be gettin' 'old'a these kinds'a rags Aye wander!?"

Fenwick considers this. "Who Ole Arkus?" he asks. "And what Rioc Parvel? It be profitable?"

Phoenix8008

First Post
Talon is so brain numb that he misses the dwarf putting its hands on his new longspear, but Dayna saves him again as she is suddenly behind Fargo and growling a low, menacing rumble. That sound snaps Talon out of his daze, and his hands shoot out to grab and secure his weapon. As he squeezes the grips tightly, the blade springs upward to its full extenstion where it embeds itself in the ceiling with a thunk before crackling with electricity for a brief moment.

Only after his moment of instinctive reaction does his brain finally hear the words that the dwarf has been spewing like clouds of ale flavored steam. 'Rioc Parvel', 'Arkus', 'Gimlord'! The shifters eyes light up in recognition and wonder before narrowing again in suspicion at the unlikelihood of this meeting right after they returned with these documents.

"You can look at my spear, but no touch. How do you know about these things on map and papers?"
Talon says to the dwarf with suspicion in his voice.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"Welcome to the tavern my good fellows and ladies!" Jynxx calls out cheerfully as he plays on the lute. "Allow me to please your senses while the ale continues to make your worries melt!"

Jynxx begins a slow, melodic song. He quickly sings, more to himself than to the room. Even the keen of hearing have a rough time making out the words as they are a mere whisper.

Wynter

First Post
Alissa had been following the path set before her by the Spirits for sometime, and now it had brought her to this...rambunctious establishment. Though not exactly the extroverted, loud-mouthed individual herself (at least until alcohol is introduced) she grimaced slightly hearing the jolly laughter and other implacable yells from within. Before entering, it appeared she needed to introduce herself to the Bouncers, "Alissa." she replied. It was the name she had utilized for so long, it had become her own. In the back of her mind the name given to her by her tribe still echoed faintly, but for two years now she had gone by a name more acceptable as a Human.

Stepping inside, her brow furrowed slightly. What a place the Spirits had led her to. Then again, given the company it would be next to impossible to appear 'out of place' amongst a gathering like she was observing. The beaded braids of her bangs clamored about lightly as she moved toward the bar area. Pulling the hood of her cloak back, she revealed her pale skinned, youthful face. In the back of her mind, she couldn't help but wonder exactly what she was supposed to do now. Sometimes the Spirits presented her with 'signs', but other times it was up to her to discover the next few steps along her path.

[sblock=OOC]Hey, this is my first time playing on the boards. I'm not too well schooled on how to edit my signature in a aesthetically pleasing way, so I haven't been able to put my character there yet. Although she's not yet approved, I read that you can still post and even become involved in an Adventure while waiting approval. Thus, that's exactly what I'm doing! My character can be found at L4W:pC:Alissa (Wynter) - ENWiki[/sblock]

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx saw the newcomer approach, "Welcome! Come, sit and drink. If that's not your fancy, then there are games to be played or stories to be told! I have yet to find a moment of boredom within these walls!"

He approaches the lady, "Jynxx Shadowtongue, at your service. Please, by all means, call me Lucky. I have survived by the chances alone. As many have said, I'd rather be lucky than good!" He bowed low as he introduced himself. "I'm fairly new to these parts myself, but I can tell you.. many, many types of people and creatures come here. There appear to be many lessons to be learned in this place."

[sblock=ooc]

Welcome to the boards, Wynter. Don't forget to put [/color] at the end of your speaking, so that it actualy colors the text. I'd be more than happy to help ya out in any way I can. So don't be afraid to hollar at me. Jynxx is a Kalashtar Bard.... and alittle bit of a prankster, but he's harmless. In game help... ask him, out of character help... ask me or someone smarter :) Welcome to the boards.

[/sblock]

Wynter

First Post
It wasn't long before the 'sign' presented itself, if that was indeed it's nature. Alissa thought about how to respond, she knew she had to keep her heritage a secret, at least in the way of her tribe. Thus, acting 'natural' was out of the question. Like a slightly awkward chameleon, she had to blend in with her surroundings. Her thoughts drifted back toward the different Human females she had observed and met during her time, those around her own age.

"Ahahaha..." she did her best impersonation of the giggles she had heard from others, "...Lucky, is it? I'm Alissa. I'm...not exactly sure what I'm looking for yet. I...I guess this is a good place to start." the Human girl responded with a slight nod after the completion of his low bow.

Still, she had to do better then something quite so ambiguous. Most didn't understand the...rather cryptic nature of the Spirits, so mainly she tried to put talk of such things off until better acquainted with whomever she met to avoid seeming too odd. Thinking of the first and most mundane thing that drove her, she finally mentioned, "Although I figure finding a way to make a few coins would be a good start. I've heard this tavern is...just the place for interests like that."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx tilted his head to the side. This human is interesting... Hiding something maybe?. With a smile Jynxx bowed and motioned to a chair. "Care to drink with a young socialite such as myself? Surely we have stories we may share! While I have not been very adventurous myself, I know many stories of great deeds!"

Wynter

First Post
Perfect. The burden of speaking was exactly the thing she wished to place upon the shoulders of another, it would keep the attention off of her. "Oh...sure, don't mind if I do." she replied kindly. Her voice was a tough one to place. It sounded as if there was some accent, but not in a traditional manner. It appeared as if instead the accent was watered down, or veiled almost completely. It only showed through on a few words, a few specific pauses or syllables of emphasis here and there.

"I quite enjoy a good story, so feel free to tell any you wish." the girl continued as she pulled up a chair. The links of her chainmail shifted together with a light audible metallic sound as she sat upon the wooden seat.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"You can look at my spear, but no touch. How do you know about these things on map and papers?" Talon says to the dwarf with suspicion in his voice.
The dwarf's fingers twitch, and his face dons an expression of longing, not to own the spear, but to simply examine it. It's the face a researcher would wear when denied access to a book in a library, "Aye. An' aye go' queschens o' m'own ta'ask ye."

Fargo examines the papers on the table, shuffles through them until he reaches the map that Talon found on the boat in the sewer-river, He spreads it wide and places the stubby index finger of his right hand in the upper left-hand corner of the map, "Aye'as barn an' raised in Kartuk! Ev'ry'n knows th' starry o'ole Arkus Gimlard. Sailed off ta fine'is traisure 'e did. No gold come back, bu' 'e sen' us th' fines' steel a dwarf coul' make, an' 'ad blades stronger'n giants! They only sold us th' steel. They kep' th' weap'ns 'emselves. Trade w'Rioc Parvel las'ed 'bout twainty years. Then nothin'. No' a single ward."

Fargo's face is like that of a storyteller. On that last line, his face gets all mysterious-looking and he waves his hands, working his fingers as if scattering dust. He then changes his expression to one of ignorance, shrugs, and says, "Tha'as some two handerd years-er-so ago. Ole Bardir, 'ere," With the index finger of his left hand, he thumps the paper that Talon just translated,"'E 'as Arkus' son. Arkus wouldn' le' any'n tell where Rioc Parvel'as, bu' shart'y af'er, Hruthak Ironshield ('E'as Master o' Kartuk a'th'time) sen' a bunch o' sailin' dwarves ta look far it. Non'a'em ev'r fand i', bu' na' yoo come alon' witha starry 'bout drag'ns'an'sach, an'a map pintn' d'rectly t'th'spot! 'Ere'd ye ge' i' Aye wander?" Fargo screws an eyeball up at Talon like a member of the Spanish inquisition trying to get a confession out of an innocent man.

Suddenly, Fargo's brows shoot up again as if he just remembered something. He turns and points to Talon's spear (it's more of a reach than a point), "An' tha' spear's one'a' Arkus' blades. Aye be the fars' dwarf outside'a Rioc Parvel ta ev'r lay 'ands on'un if aye did. I's a'least two handerd years old."

[sblock=OOC]I'd offer a translation of Fargo's dialect, but I figure that P8 can put this together ;)[/sblock]

[sblock=XP Reward for P8 submitted for approval]For excellent RPing and and a lot of time and effort spent to translate a document I took pains to conceal:

200XP[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=OOC]He definitely deserves some extra EXP for that. I couldn't have done that, no way, and he played it in character brilliantly. Great Job!

As to the dagger left behind, I have mixed feelings about that. We did leave it behind, but we did state our intention to go through the rooms and find all the treasury worth taking. DM made specific lists for us (to keep the distribution fair), but he also specifically left out items that, in character, we would not have left behind.

It will probably be a recurring plot device, this dagger.
[/sblock][sblock=HM Post above]Looks like I started writing before HM's post landed. Just work mine in there behind his then, I guess...[/sblock]

"Hhhm," was about all Jin could say as Talon rambled through the translation and explaiantion.

As Fargo butted in, and a minor confrontation began, Jin said, "Fargo, this is Talon and Fenwick. We recently adventurered together. And Fargo here is a boat captain. Fargo, why don't you tell us what you know first, and then we'll follow."

Remove ads