TRAILBLAZER - PDF Release - Discussion/Questions/Errata

GlassJaw

Hero
So I was kind of hoping that we could use Bound to actually keep our core numbers up, as it seems intended to do, despite the fact that we're getting expensive but non-useful treasure.

Ahh, gotcha. Well those are some pretty sweet items but I see your point. Further increasing the "+" of those items is technically increasing their value beyond what you would normally have otherwise.

You could ask your DM to allow Bound Item to "convert" the properties into their equivalent numeric enhancement bonus. I would certainly allow that.

Heck, I'd even allow you to change it on the fly (or with a Standard Action maybe). It's like the Bound Item ability is giving you "control" over the item's magic properties.

I quite like that in fact. It's not giving the player something more powerful than they already have yet it gives the player flexibility to use items they find, further reducing the reliance on crafting items.

jedavis

First Post
Ahh, gotcha. Well those are some pretty sweet items but I see your point. Further increasing the "+" of those items is technically increasing their value beyond what you would normally have otherwise.

You could ask your DM to allow Bound Item to "convert" the properties into their equivalent numeric enhancement bonus. I would certainly allow that.

Heck, I'd even allow you to change it on the fly (or with a Standard Action maybe). It's like the Bound Item ability is giving you "control" over the item's magic properties.

I quite like that in fact. It's not giving the player something more powerful than they already have yet it gives the player flexibility to use items they find, further reducing the reliance on crafting items.

Hmm... Conversion seems like a very reasonable solution, and flexible to boot. I may try pitching that to him. Thanks! (Would've really helped my assassin with the useless Dagger of Poison last game, too, now that I think of it).

Update: DM has agreed; guess we're playtesting this one :p

Last edited:

jedavis

First Post
Well, we found another curious thing. We have a fellow considering Bard, but as a group we're confused by Power Chord. Can you use Power Chord to cast spells while using Bardic Music? Do Power Chorded spells have their durations reduced to 1 round, per Swift Spell?

Thanks,
John

Aluvial

Explorer
Hi, I bought Trailblazer long ago, read it through, and licked my lips in anticipation of my next campaign. Some years later, the new game is underway, I've dusted off my original download, and have a few questions.

Is there a newer version? Is there a hypertext version? Is there a bookmarked version? My copyright says 2009 but nothing more. I have no bookmarks. I'm not even sure where I got it, although I think it was from RPGNow.

Thanks for any help...

Aluvial

EDIT: Ahh, updated my download! I have bookmarks now. Still wondering about hypertext.

Last edited:

ProtonZero

First Post
Can you use Power Chord to cast spells while using Bardic Music? Do Power Chorded spells have their durations reduced to 1 round, per Swift Spell?

"Even while using bardic music that doesn't require concentration, a bard cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands)."

Power chord enables casting a spell in exchange for a use of bardic music, which means it cannot be used while performing bardic music.

"... the bard may cast 1st level bard spells as a swift spell (see Feats)."

This indicates that the spell is cast identically to using the feat. If the power chord description instead said "the bard may cast 1st level bard spells as a swift action," then it might be different.

Is there a hypertext version?

I actually took a stab at creating a hypertext version of the Trailblazer Open Game Content. I unfortunately only got so far, but as of this writing you can find the action points, character creation, and character classes chapters at Trailblazer OGC.

Remove ads