Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I guess a Medium porcupine would seem pretty big. Want to add any more special abilities, or just make it bigger and stronger? Any good prehistoric inspiration?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I did some surfing, and didn't find much on prehistoric giant porcupines. :erm:

Bigger n' stronger will probably suffice, like the dire wolf, dire ape, and dire wolverine.

Cleon

Legend
I guess a Medium porcupine would seem pretty big. Want to add any more special abilities, or just make it bigger and stronger? Any good prehistoric inspiration?

The AD&D Giant Porcupine is Large but is only 7' long, so I'm OK making the Dire version Medium, provided it advances to Large.

As for special abilities, we have to give it a "Shoot Quills" special attack like the original.

The AD&D Giant Porcupine also has 6 HD, which seems an awful lot for a Medium-sized creature.

How about making a 3 HD Medium-sized Dire Porcupine which advances to Large at 6 HD? That would cover both our bases.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about making a 3 HD Medium-sized Dire Porcupine which advances to Large at 6 HD? That would cover both our bases.

Agreed.

That's fine with me. So is the dire porcupine supposed to be a giant porcupine conversion, too?

Yep. Most "giant" creatures in 3e are magical beast, often intelligent, versions, like the giant eagle and giant owl. The rest became dire animals.

Remove ads