Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Maybe we should drop the Hunker Down ability, then...

You know there's a gene in human DNA named sonic hedgehog, right? :p

Cleon

Legend
They are not acrobats.

You mean Sonic wasn't a gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat, like the Pink Panther?

After this, we should do the giant skunk next. I wonder why that wasn't converted?

I think somebody raised a stink about it. :p

Anyhow, getting back to the Porcupine I think we might as well rough out some stats. I'll do an outline with the stats based on a Badger or downsized Boar.

Cleon

Legend
Porcupine Working Draft

Porcupine
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2d8+2 (4 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 5 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-5
Attack: Bite +0 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Bite +0 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Quills
Special Qualities: Hunker down, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 3
Skills: 4 [Climb +7, Listen +5?]
Feats: 1 [Ability Focus (quills)?]
Environment: Any woods
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: [1/2?]
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: [1 HD (Small)?]
Level Adjustment: —

A sturdily built animal covered with long spines. It has a squarish head, beady eyes and a short but broad tail.

Combat

Hunker Down (Ex): If a porcupine is threatened in melee and cannot retreat to a safe distance from its opponent(s), it curls its head and legs under its torso while on the ground and flares its quills in all directions. In this defensive position, the Reflex save DC of its quills special attack gains a +2 bonus (increasing it to DC 16 for a typical porcupine), but the porcupine's speed is reduced to 10 ft. and it cannot charge or run.

Quills (Ex): Melee combat with a porcupine is dangerous. An opponent who attacks a porcupine with a melee weapon that does not have Reach must succeed at a DC 14 Reflex save or be struck by 1d4 quills. Each quill does 1 point of piercing damage and lodges in the opponent's flesh, imposing a -1 circumstance penalty to attacks, saves, and checks per quill (maximum -4 penalty). Removing a quill inflicts 1 point of additional damage to the victim unless a DC 15 Heal check is made. The save DC is Constitution-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think hunkering was supposed to be rolling up, right? Well, I can go either way, but I think hunkering down should probably go for the real-world version.

Remove ads