Advice request for build - "melee warlock" type

Karmagor

First Post
Hi all! I'd like a little advice on a character I'm creating. The concept is a magic-using, soul-stealing "dark knight", some kind of anti-paladin flavour, which is hellbent on revenge and received powers from an ancient and evil entity to achieve his goals, in exchange for his services. Further down the road, he is to be completely corrupted by his master, turning closer and closer to a demon himself.

My main class options seemed to be either paladin, avenger, spellsword, or warlock.

As far as race go, I was hesitating between tiefling and human.

It seemed to me that Human Infernal pact Warlock would be a good choice concept wise, taking Eldritch Strike as his bonus at-will, this becoming his main mean of attack until the later levels. I planned to steer him towards the Lifestealer PP, as it seems to fit the concept of a life/soul stealing demon knight very well. As a general tactic, I would've liked him to be at the center of the action, Eldritch Striking foes into oblivion, using Temp HP to buffer the blows received.

So, an early build would be something like this:

Human Infernal Pact Warlock

Stats: Don't know wich technique the DM will favour yet, but I bet he'll make us roll 4d6, keep 3 highest, so I'll hope to be able to go with high Con & Int, decent Cha & Dex (hoping for 13 dex if possible), whatever's left in Strength and Wisdom.

At-wills: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eldritch Strike
Encounter: torn between Vampiric Embrace and Diabolic Grasp, DG seems like loads of fun!
Daily: Armor of Agathys

Feats:
Human: Weapon proficiency: Bastard sword
Level One: ??? Maybe Improved Dark One's Blessing, but this seems like a pretty weak feat since temp HP does not stack…

At some point, I plan on taking Arcane Implement Proficiency: Heavy Blades, so he'll be able to use his weapon as an implement when he obtains a magic one.

Being new to the 4th edition, I still have a hard time assessing the power level of things, and generally thinking in the figurine-board dimension (we never used those before, simply making mental plans of a battle, and the whole "distance measured in squares" kinda bugs me enough so I recalculate everything in feets, but I digress) but I have read that well, Warlock generally suck as direct damage dealers, and are better fit to use as high mobility characters with a lot of status ailment. Will this concept have any success, or am I simply gimping all facets of the class? So, I'd like to have build tips, mainly on feats but other kind of advice is welcome, on increasing the survivability, utility, and damage output of this character, and if it seems to have a chance a being "a force to be reckoned with" on a battlefield, and on possible fighting strategies.

Thanks a lot for you advice!

Obryn

Hero
If your DM is amenable to some house-ruling, see if he'll allow a Dwarf Infernal Warlock to swap out Eldritch Blast for Eldritch Strike. Then, pick up Dwarven Weapon Training and a Pact Mordenkrad, and go to town. :D

-O

Obryn

Hero
gack let the human have is boost.. house ruling to let dwarves steal thunder... bad mojo.
I just can't believe that there'd be a power only Humans can take. It's a poorly-designed power in the first place, IMO. In my own game, I allow warlocks to choose either Eldritch Blast or Eldritch Strike. I can't see how this would be broken at all.

-O

interwyrm

First Post
I'd start with Nifft's hexhammer gish for ideas. Wiz forums are down, but you can view the cached page.

I think the original build is a dwarf (for pact hammer). Since then, warforged have become an attractive option (+str/con, and embedded implement). Humans could also pull your idea off using eldritch strike.

The general hexhammer build is centered on using hammer rhythm to get some pretty nasty MBAs for close range, while still having adequate con to be a "normal" infernalock.

-Avalon-

First Post
Go tiefling, gnome, or changeling for +2 Cha/Int, go with the fey pact or dark pact I think... and multiclass to swordmage (as they are "jedi" like) and make your guy a Sith Lord hehe...

You were already planning on bastard sword, just go ahead and use that as your implement for melee style stuff, and grab 'lock powers that do the nasty stuff that Dark Jedi's did.

Dunno how efficient this is, as I am at work and cannot really grab the info needed, but this is what popped in my head when I saw your question.

interwyrm

First Post
More thoughts on directions to go with this.

If you go human and use eldritch strike, you can(should) take white lotus hindrance to keep your enemies from moving away without provoking opportunity attacks. You can then strike them again to slide them away from their intended destination, making you slightly sticky/defenderish.

Basically, the advantages of eldritch strike are:
1) It's an MBA, so can be used in a LOT of situations.
2) It's an arcane at-will, so it can be modified by juicy feats.

Klaus

First Post
1 - You can use a Pact Blade as an implement. Just find/buy a +1 Pact Blade Short Sword and describe it as a longsword.

2 - Take the feat Reaper's Touch. That lets you use your Eldritch Blast as a melee attack.

3 - Keep your Strength at 13 and take Hide Armor Proficiency and at 2nd level Chainmail proficiency.

4 - A Spiked Shield is a light blade. If you're proficient in it, you can have a Pact Blade Spiked Shield and describe your Eldritch Blast as a glowing sword.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
More thoughts on directions to go with this.

If you go human and use eldritch strike, you can(should) take white lotus hindrance to keep your enemies from moving away without provoking opportunity attacks. You can then strike them again to slide them away from their intended destination, making you slightly sticky/defenderish.

Basically, the advantages of eldritch strike are:
1) It's an MBA, so can be used in a LOT of situations.
2) It's an arcane at-will, so it can be modified by juicy feats.

The lotus feats are neat I like the Riposte... its a bit better to my mind because it means the bad guys get punished for hitting back.. see you probably arent as tough as those fighter types so ... being sticky isnt entirely what you want ;-) my theory anyway.

Remove ads