Advice request for build - "melee warlock" type

Karmagor

First Post
Woah, thanks for all the tips! Yes, after checking out the hexhammer build, it does seem like a good start for ideas.

For the race, I think I'll stick with Human with Eldritch Strike, I'd like Tiefling, but it seems to limit the options quite a bit, and well, frankly, I can't stand dwarves. Too bad for me if it happens to be suboptimal. I do like the idea of the fey pact sith lord like character, added to the fact that and with their pact-boon they have some nice mobility. Then again, I wonder what my melee options would be for attacking at lower levels (Klaus' Reaper's touch idea would go well with the concept tough, pseudo lightsaber and all). Guess I'll check it out, but will still focus on an Eldritch Strike build for the moment.

In what book are those white-lotus feats already? I only own the basic book set plus arcane power, but our DM got the whole collection, so I'll check them out when I see him. Oh, and it may be a silly question, but why wait for level 2 to take chainmail? Has it been errataed that you need Hide proficiency first to learn chainmail?

All in all, great ideas. I guess from there on, my biggest dilemma is between the weapon of choice. Goes down to either hammers or swords. Both very knightly. Hammers allow meto take Hammer Rhythm at 11, and I haven't checked it out yet, but it seems the property on a pact hammer is pretty wicked (increase curse damage or something like that?). Then again, I'd be limited to said pact hammer if I want to use my weapon as an implement.

On the other hand, with swords I can get Arcane Implement: Heavy Blade, and benefit from the properties of most weapons I happen to find (assuming the enchantment is transferable using transfer enchantment), on both ranged and melee attacks.

Thanks again for the food for thought guys, you are very helpful!

Ryujin

Legend
If you go for a Warlock build, then you're going to want a good INT or DEX to pump up your AC. INT is good for many CHA Warlock powers, but not so much if you go CON Warlock.

Other feats to consider along the way are Focused Expertise; Bastard Sword, Arcane Implement Proficiency: Heavy Blades, Called Shot, and Prime Punisher. Since you get your Warlock's Curse damage when you hit an opponent, not just when you hit with a Warlock power, it'll help you pump up weapon damage.

A set of Gloves of Eldritch Admixture would make for a good flavour item, while also being very useful. You do your curse damage with a sword swing and then add your curse damage in the form of acid, cold, or fire.

Last edited:

interwyrm

First Post
White Lotus is from an issue of dragon. If you've got the character builder you can check it out there.

You should be aware that feylocks are less resilient than infernalocks, so you have to be really careful about staying in melee.

If your DM is willing, you can have a lot of fun with the hybrid rules doing assault swordmage/feylock. I'd take eldritch strike, eyebite, and either swordburst or lightning lure. (Swordburst is generally preferable, but lightning lure is just a really cool effect).

With a build like that, you can use your aegis on an enemy, then eyebite it so it can't see you. When it attacks one of your allies, you teleport in, hit it with eldritch strike, and slide it away from your ally.

For paragon, though it might not be the most optimal, I really like the idea of going with feytouched so that every teleport causes damage to adjacent enemies.

Also, for any build, consider going with a pact blade just for the effect, "When a creature you have cursed with your Warlock’s Curse makes a melee attack against you, deal damage to the creature equal to the pact blade’s enhancement bonus". If you're in melee, you're more likely to get hit. This gives you a small edge. You could even go with two weapons so you can get that property and cast through an offhand light blade while attacking with your mainhand weapon.

Karmagor

First Post
Oh, that Feylock/Swordmage idea seems juicy. But, correct me if I'm wrong, this ruleset is scheduled to be released next year with the PHB 3, and is still only at playtest stage right? Because yeah, no way we get to play unreleased stuff, I'm pretty sure of that.

Oh, and also, what do you guys think of the Improved Dark One's Blessing talent? As I said earlier, it seems to me like it's at the same time a talent that is generally sub-par, but that might become pretty important if I am to get into melee often, as one of the only means of reliably getting temp HP, at least at low levels (once Vampiric Embrace gets depleted, if I take it as encounter power, moreso if I choose Diabolic Grasp instead).

Klaus

First Post
Woah, thanks for all the tips! Yes, after checking out the hexhammer build, it does seem like a good start for ideas.

For the race, I think I'll stick with Human with Eldritch Strike, I'd like Tiefling, but it seems to limit the options quite a bit, and well, frankly, I can't stand dwarves. Too bad for me if it happens to be suboptimal. I do like the idea of the fey pact sith lord like character, added to the fact that and with their pact-boon they have some nice mobility. Then again, I wonder what my melee options would be for attacking at lower levels (Klaus' Reaper's touch idea would go well with the concept tough, pseudo lightsaber and all). Guess I'll check it out, but will still focus on an Eldritch Strike build for the moment.

In what book are those white-lotus feats already? I only own the basic book set plus arcane power, but our DM got the whole collection, so I'll check them out when I see him. Oh, and it may be a silly question, but why wait for level 2 to take chainmail? Has it been errataed that you need Hide proficiency first to learn chainmail?

All in all, great ideas. I guess from there on, my biggest dilemma is between the weapon of choice. Goes down to either hammers or swords. Both very knightly. Hammers allow meto take Hammer Rhythm at 11, and I haven't checked it out yet, but it seems the property on a pact hammer is pretty wicked (increase curse damage or something like that?). Then again, I'd be limited to said pact hammer if I want to use my weapon as an implement.

On the other hand, with swords I can get Arcane Implement: Heavy Blade, and benefit from the properties of most weapons I happen to find (assuming the enchantment is transferable using transfer enchantment), on both ranged and melee attacks.

Thanks again for the food for thought guys, you are very helpful!
If you have Hide armor proficiency, take chainmail at level 1. The other feat is for Reaper's Touch.

DracoSuave

First Post
Goliath Infernal Warlock.

Step 1) Arcane Implement Proficiency: Long Blade.
Step 2) Goliath Greatweapon

I think you can see where this is going from here.

DracoSuave

First Post
Oh, Mr. Goliath's arms can get -very- long and -quite- gangly.

But, Primary stat for Warlocks? Check.

Large damage boost across all tiers? Check.

Two-handed weapon is an implement? Check.

Said implement can deal good melee damage? Check.

And you might not even need to take Melee Training for the first while!

Oh, and all that damage applies to things that -aren't- Basic Melee Attack too. Nice!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I do seem to dislike mr gorilla man... heheh

thats a nice feat... they do like there two handers...

presumedly melee training to make up for lack of eldritch strike ... which I do actually agree should be swappable with eldritch blast, I was kidding earlier ( I would let a player do it in a heartbeat ) - dwarf warlock is a mild stab in the eye... dont know why.

Last edited:

Samir

Explorer
More thoughts on directions to go with this.

If you go human and use eldritch strike, you can(should) take white lotus hindrance to keep your enemies from moving away without provoking opportunity attacks. You can then strike them again to slide them away from their intended destination, making you slightly sticky/defenderish..
White Lotus Hindrance makes all squares adjacent to you difficult terrain. Entering difficult terrain costs an extra square of movement, leaving it does not, thus enemies will still be able to shift away from you OA-free even with White Lotus Hindrance.

Remove ads