Advice request for build - "melee warlock" type

amysrevenge

First Post
I've played around with a build like this (I've done it with Warforged, because that is all I play, but it would work just about as good with a human).

The problem really is that the build doesn't really fill the role you're looking for until level 4 or 6 (it is a feat-heavy sort of thing to do).

Here's how I'd get there.

Stats: Big big Con. Str of at least 13. All others optional (but Int is the secondary ability for your Infernal pact powers).

Item wishlist: bracers of mighty striking, vicious fullblade, anything else is a bonus

Powers to select: as many Close bursts and blasts as you can. Many of the low level Close powers that use Constitution are from the Vestige pact. Take them anyway. Once you get to Paragon, take the Twofold Pact feat to be able to have both the Infernal and Vestige pacts.

Level 1. At this point you are still pretty much a ranged guy, but you can stand in there if you have to.
Weapon Proficiency (fullblade), Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blades)

Level 2: Armor Proficiency (chainmail)

Level 4: At this point you can start stepping in to melee combat. Your Melee Basic attack is pretty much as good as your Warlock powers. :)
Melee Training (Constitution)

Level 6: Armor Proficiency (scale)

Level 8: Focused Expertise (fullblade)

Level 10: Weapon Focus (heavy blades)

Level 11: Twofold Pact

Level 12: If your Str is 15 or better, you can take Armor Proficiency (plate). Keep in mind that if you started with a 13, then you'll have a 15 by Epic tier for sure, so you can take plate then at the latest.

From here on out, you can take pretty much whatever you like. The gist of the build is that from level 4 on, you wade right in to melee range of all the bad guys, hit them with your Close bursts and blasts, and nail them with your melee basic attack (which should easily out-damage your Warlock At-Will attacks).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
With a human I think there may be more flavorful ways to making the damage nice on your Eldritch Strike than upping the weapon size... and most will work with your eldritch blast since you get it too. And with the human you might as well be versatile using your blasts and strikes because you can. Weapon size is really great for a warrior it boost his higher powers... for con locks its only so so..

Noble bred for war background ... can get you Longsword proficiency ....Blade initiate (swordmage MC) will give you a nicer defense as well as the implement proficiency.... and that extra warding armor will allow you to wade in to the frey earlier with more confidence and so highly recommended. Longsword is versatile and so is the equivalent of the D10 when you cant use the Warding.(because of the +1 when used two handed).

Arcane reserves is at low levels a reliable +2 which is a match for the difference between the longsword versus the fullblade... and boosts your ranged blast too.

White Lotus Riposte while slightly less reliable since they might not decide to strike you back... would let you boost damage far higher when it does work and even for a ranged exchange. It also discourages them attacking you which is another form of defense.
Melee combatants do need better defense.. strikers that hang out at close range can get clocked...

Fullblades main benefit over arcane reserves is the High Crit feature... and that depends on your gambling mood ... Arcane Reserves even though range versatile should be trained out later for something else as it quits being easily reliable so training it out for Fullblades isnt bad..

We have banned the expertise feats (reduced enemy defenses by 1 per tier )... so maybe I would throw in something just fun at this point.. a battle friendly Dragonling familiar or Mounted Combat (Something fun might be available talk to DM).

Twofold pact is certainly cool... (Star Pact?) but at this point my will defense sucks ... ummm Iron will anyone?

Toughess or Durability (depending on your healers) might be nice in place of one of those Armor feats instead of going up to Scale but scale is pretty and the mobility is nice.

I think making it viable right away to do the Melee thing is important even if you arent doing it all the time... and the Swordmage MC I think is key to that in defensive ability category (and is less useful if you are in two handed mode) and the Arcane reserves range versatility make it better initially than the fullblade.

Last edited:

Zinovia

Explorer
Stats: Don't know wich technique the DM will favour yet, but I bet he'll make us roll 4d6, keep 3 highest
See if you can talk your DM into doing point buy for stats. It's much better for creating balanced characters, and still allows a lot of flexibility in where you place them. I was the one who rolled badly on stats in our last 3.5 campaign, and it kinda sucks having a 16 as my high stat when everyone else had one or more 18's. Point buy is the way to go in my opinion.

Also see if you can swap Eldritch Blast out for Eldritch Strike if you want to play as a non-human. The latter is a melee power added on one of the PH Heroes minis set cards, and it is in the character builder. It's perfect for a melee build warlock, if you can somehow get access to it. If you're playing a human, then definitely take it.

Eldorian

First Post
Play a revenant, pick Dwarf as your previous race, use a pact hammer and maybe a pact parrying dagger or something in your offhand for use of dual implement stuff, use Reaper's Touch to make melee attacks with hammer rhythm.

Like any of these ideas? Revenant, until assassin comes out, looks like it's basically only good for Warlock types.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I've played a couple of these style characters, and have two suggestions for what works.

Suggestion 1: Play a Fighter/Multi-Warlock. As a human/tiefling, fight Bastard Sword/Shield and power-swap for good Warlock close burst/blast powers that have push effects. Of course you, get Arcane Implement Prof (Heavy Blade). Boost Str/Con very high. At Paragon, go Iron Vanguard for bonus damage on every Push/Prone! Also at Paragon, take Lightning Reflexes/Iron will to make up for your not great Defenses.

Suggestion 2: Human Hybrid Warlock/Swordmage. Focus on Int and Con, take Eldritch Strike, Diabolic Grasp, and whatever Swordmage At-will tickles your fancy. Focus on Close multi-target attacks. Pick whichever type of Swordmage you want to be, they all have their own bonuses. I personally like Assault for this build, just because Eldritch Strike counts as a melee basic attack which you can use with your Aegis. That said, Shielding is probably the most defendery. Pump Int and Con to a very high level, and be sure to take Iron Will to cover your low will defense. Pick whichever Paragon Path/ED excites you the most. If you can live with your "Dark Knight" wearing Hide/Leather armor, this build is lots of fun.

Remove ads