L4W Discussion Thread IV

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I don't understand your question fragment. I have an idea for a character, and I'd like to see where he fits in the world best. To that end, I'm asking the people more knowledgeable about these areas than I am what they think. Does that answer what you were asking?

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Sorry THB. I was actually interested, but I wasn't sure what questions to ask. Sorry to come across rudely.

I'm not familiar with the cities you mentioned, and I wanted to know more about them and your character.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Oh, yeah. Here are the wiki articles on Mykonos and Surtyr. However, the wiki isn't the most organized thing in the world, so there could be valuable information tucked away somewhere else on the wiki or on the boards.

I'm pretty reluctant to share info on my character, mostly because I've had five completely different ideas for character #2 within the past two and a half weeks, and there's no reason for me to believe I'll stick with this one. So all I will say is the following:

a. I'm trying to get over my dislike of dwarves.

b. I was so inspired by JNC's broody, moody, and gloomy warden that I wanted to create one of my own.

c. There's a strong temptation for me when designing primal characters to make them absolute monsters. Not "combat monsters" but actual monsters. The cannibal gnoll druid was tempting, but I decided against it for the sake of good taste *rimshot*. Using the druid class, particularly shapeshifting, to represent demonic possession is still an interesting idea to me, but probably one to explore in a tabletop game.

d. I like the cold.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I think Surtyr is cold, no questions about it, but I don't see why there can't be a icy region of Mykonos, especially if we're talking a really high mountain.

That being said I never pictured an icy area of Mykonos in my head. I always saw it as Cyprus or Crete.

renau1g

First Post
Quick question for the group, I'm retiring Blade to make Kane. Blade's only a few hundred xp from 3 so I'll cash in some DM credits to bump him up and then retire. I am struggling to see how much gold he gets to start (using option B). He gets 1750? Less? How much less?

Thanks!

covaithe

Explorer
That's an open question, actually. I'm pretty well convinced that the answer should be 1750, but that's not the way the charter currently reads. See this thread, which is in need of a good kick in the pants.

Dunamin

First Post
As is, retiring a level 3 character allows you to start a new PC at the same level with 910 gp - not 1750 gp (Option B). You only get 1750 gp if you retired a level 4 PC (Option A).

This has happened to all my party members in the Closed Eye, two of which were given the 840 gp as "advance treasure" while Atriden has had to bite the bullet. I'm sure they would all be very interested in learning whether this will change.

Dunamin

First Post
Option A (start at one level lower) has turned out a purely hypothetical case. For good reason: Noone will use it due to the time-investment needed for leveling up in PBP games.

I think we at least should remove it so as to not cause further confusion and clarify the charter, if not the entire retirement rules end up revised.

renau1g

First Post
See the thread Cov linked to for some discussion. Option A is fairly useless (IMHO) as you mentioned, especially as we've all identified that we need to move people up faster rather than delay their progress.

Remove ads