NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-6 or by weapon type
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 50%
SIZE: M (5' tall)
MORALE: Steady (11)
XP VALUE: 4,000

Lesser spirits who are cousins of the hengeyokai, the hu hsien are a race of shapeshifting foxes—cunning, clever, and capable of endless mischief.

A hu hsien has two basic forms, and can shapechange freely between them. Its primary form looks like a normal fox with rustcolored or silver fur. Unlike a normal fox, however, a hu hsien fox can walk on its hind legs and hold items in its front paws. The hu hsien’s second form is that of a human maiden. She has exceptional beauty and grace (18 Charisma). Her hair is long and flowing, and she wears long, silken robes. But unlike a normal maiden, the hu hsien’s human form has a foxlike tail. The lovely hu hsien usually takes care to hide the tail beneath her robe.

The hu hsien can speak all languages common to the area she inhabits, as well as the language of animals.

Combat: Hu hsien delight in their ability to manipulate and torment hapless humans. They are noted for their trickery, and a character who scoffs at their existence is among the hu hsien’s favorite victims.

A hu hsien can employ the following spell-like effects at will, once per round: become invisible, polymorph self, disguise, chameleon, know history, hypnotism, read magic, comprehend languages, ventriloquism, apparition, ESP, and hypnotic pattern.

Once per day, she can use possess, servant horde, and major creation. Three times per week, she can use either reward or ancient curse. When in human form, she has the power of fascination.

The hu hsien can be hit only by + 3 weapons or better. She has limited regeneration, healing at the rate of 2 hit points per hour. She is immune to fire and takes only half damage from cold-based attacks (no damage on a successful saving throw). She suffers double damage from electrical-based attacks. She greatly fears thunderstorms, since the Celestial Emperor sometimes sends the Thunder God to punish the hu hsien for her wicked ways.

The hu hsien sustains herself by draining the life force of human victims. To do so, she must assume human form and trick a human into spending time with her, generally by using her fascinate power to cause the victim to fall hopelessly in love. Thereafter, each day the victim spends with the hu hsien results in the loss of one experience level, similar to the effects of an energy drain. The victim, totally blinded by love, is not aware of what is happening and does not realize what has befallen him. Once this process begins, the victim only can be saved if the hu hsien is driven away or destroyed by others.

Habitat/Terrain: Hu hsien typically make their lairs near the outskirts of human villages. They sometimes occupy abandoned houses, using their magical powers to create the illusion of great wealth and luxury. Occasionally, their lair is a normal fox den, but the enchanted interior looks like a great mansion. Many times an unfortunate traveler has dined and slept in a grand hall, only to awaken in the cramped space under the floors of an old house, the guest of a hu hsien.

Hu hsien are not entirely cruel and ungrateful. They have been known to reward people who show them generosity or treat them kindly. Such rewards usually involve success at examinations, good fortune, or rescue in a moment of great danger.

Hu hsien are particularly attracted to scholars, both as allies and victims. A scholar who befriends a hu hsien, usually with regular tributes of gems and coins, may sometimes petition the lovely fox-creature’s help in matters of academic research. The scholar lights sticks of incense in his study, then leaves the room for the night. When he later returns, the scholar will discover a particular volume protruding from the stacks on his shelves, or a particular document displayed on his desk. This volume or page contains the information he sought, courtesy of the hu hsien.

Hu hsien value wealth, and frequently acquire great treasure caches. Because of this, some wealthy people attribute their own material success to the worship of this lesser spirit. Near their mansions, they construct clay shrines in honor of the hu hsien, bearing the image of a fox embracing an ornately-dressed human. Tributes of gems, coins, and prayer are offered daily at these shrines.

Ecology: Though hu hsien obtain all sustenance from human victims, they have a weakness for wine of any type. Once intoxicated, they revert to their primary fox form.

Hu Hsien (Lesser Spirit)
FREQUENCY: Rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-6
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVE: 15"
HIT DICE: 6
% IN LAIR: 10%
TREASURE TYPE: I, S, T
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE: 1-6 or by weapon type
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 50%
INTELLIGENCE: Genius
ALIGNMENT Chaotic evil
SIZE: M
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: VII/1,150+6/hp

The hu hsien are a race of shapeshifting foxes, supernatural in origin. In many ways they are similar to the hengeyokai. The hu hsien has two basic forms. The first is similar to a fox. However, in this form, the hu hsien can walk on its hind legs and hold items in its front paws. Its second form is that of a human maiden of exceptional beauty and grace (18 Charisma, 25 Comeliness). This form can be identified, however, since the hu hsien's tail never changes. The hu hsien is clever to conceal this under its robes.

The hu hsien has the following spell-like effects which it can do at will, one per round: become invisible, polymorph self, disguise, chameleon, know history, hypnotism, read magic, comprehend languages,ventriloquism, apparition, ESP, and hypnotic pattern. Once per day it can use possess, servant horde, and major creation. Three times per week it is able to use reward or ancient curse. When appearing in human form, its 25 Comeliness gives it the power of fascination. It can only be hit by + 3 weapons or better. It has a limited regeneration, healing at the rate of 2 hit points per hour. It is immune to fire and takes only half damage from cold attacks (no damage on a successful saving throw). It suffers double damage from electrical-based attacks. It greatly fears thunderstorms since the Celestial Emperor sometimes sends the Thunder God to punish the hu hsien for its wicked ways.

Hu hsien live and gain their power of shapeshifting by draining the life force of human victims. To do
so, the hu hsien must assume human form and snare a victim in its web, generally by using its fascinate power to cause the victim to fall hopelessly in love with it. Thereafter, each day the victim spends with the hu hsien results in the loss of one level of experience. The victim, totally blinded by love, is not aware of what is happening and does not realize that any harm has befallen him. Once the process starts, the victim can only be saved if the hu hsien is driven away or destroyed by others.

Hu hsien are not totally cruel and ungrateful. They have been known to reward or aid people who have helped them or shown them kindness and generosity. Such rewards usually take the form of success at examinations, good fortune, or rescue in a moment of great danger. They are particularly attracted to scholars, both for good and ill. They are noted for devious tricks, especially upon those who scoff at their existence. They are particularly fond of wine, unable to resist its temptation. However, once intoxicated they unwillingly revert to their true forms. Hu hsien lairs are normally on the edges of human villages. Sometimes they occupy an abandoned house, using their magical powers to create the illusion of great wealth and luxury. Other times their lair is a fox den similarly enchanted to appear as a great mansion on the inside. Many times the unfortunate traveler has dined and slept in a grand hall only to awaken in the tight cramped space under the floors of an old house.

Originally appeared in Oriental Adventures (1985).

Cleon

Legend
I'd go with Outsider (native, shapechanger, spirit), but that's just me. ;)

That's what I was thinking of, so it sounds like we're agreed.

So what else have we got in the entry.

6 Hit Dice.

50% Magic Resistance converts to SR 22. That's rather high for a 6 HD creature, do we want to tone it down a bit to 16 or so?

AC7 is quite low, but the original had an impressive "+3 weapons to hit" to make up for it. Shall we give it a good Dex and either no NA (like a human) or +1 natural armour (like a small dog or fox), plus some hard-to-beat DR ?

I'd like to decide on its ability scores before we start on its Spell-Like Abilities. We've already got Genius Intelligence (17-18) and exceptional Beauty (Cha 18) from the original. Assuming it has a +1NA it will need Dex 14-15 to get the target AC:

Hu Hsien: Str ?, Dex 14-15, Con ?, Int 17-18, Wis ~, Cha 18

Physically, these resemble man-sized foxes. The Tome of Horrors Fox has:

Fox: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6.

Boost that to Medium-sixed and you get:

Enlarged Fox: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6.

Str 12 and Con 12 look about right - they are deceivers rather than fighters. That just leaves Wisdom. I think we should up it 2-4 points from a Fox's, since these creatures have such high Intelligence and Charisma their other mental stat is likely to be good too.

Hu Hsien: Str 12, Dex 14-15, Con 12, Int 17-18, Wis 14-16, Cha 18

Average these out and we get something like:

Hu Hsien #1: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 15, Cha 18

That looks alright to me, but if we want to make it a bit tougher we could give it a Riding Dog's Str and Con and up its Dex and Int a point:

Hu Hsien #2: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 18

Or we could upscale the Dragon #291 version of the Fox's Str 11, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7 to get Str 15, Dex 17, Con 13:

Hu Hsien #3: Str 15, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 17, Wis 15, Cha 18

What do you lot reckon? Of the three options, #3 is my current favourite.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I like #1, maybe with Con bumped to 14 and Wis bumped to 17. I think I'd like Wis 17 regardless.

Cleon

Legend
I think I like #1, maybe with Con bumped to 14 and Wis bumped to 17. I think I'd like Wis 17 regardless.

I'm not strongly attached to any of them, so would be happy with your proposal:

Hu Hsien #4: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 18

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Lesser spirits who are cousins of the hengeyokai, the hu hsien are a race of shapeshifting foxes—cunning, clever, and capable of endless mischief.

A hu hsien has two basic forms, and can shapechange freely between them. Its primary form looks like a normal fox with rustcolored or silver fur. Unlike a normal fox, however, a hu hsien fox can walk on its hind legs and hold items in its front paws. The hu hsien’s second form is that of a human maiden. She has exceptional beauty and grace (18 Charisma). Her hair is long and flowing, and she wears long, silken robes. But unlike a normal maiden, the hu hsien’s human form has a foxlike tail. The lovely hu hsien usually takes care to hide the tail beneath her robe.

Alternate form, like a hegeyokai?

The hu hsien can speak all languages common to the area she inhabits, as well as the language of animals.

Common and continuous speak with animals?

Combat: Hu hsien delight in their ability to manipulate and torment hapless humans. They are noted for their trickery, and a character who scoffs at their existence is among the hu hsien’s favorite victims.

Racial bonus on Bluff checks?

A hu hsien can employ the following spell-like effects at will, once per round: become invisible, polymorph self, disguise, chameleon, know history, hypnotism, read magic, comprehend languages, ventriloquism, apparition, ESP, and hypnotic pattern.

Once per day, she can use possess, servant horde, and major creation. Three times per week, she can use either reward or ancient curse. When in human form, she has the power of fascination.

At will - invisibility (self only), disguise self, hypnotism, read magic, comprehend languages, ventriloquism, hypnotic pattern?

I'd say we drop polymorph (since it has an alternate form), replace ESP with detect thoughts and apparition with scare or some illusion spell. I can't think of a good replacement for chameleon or know history.

For the 1/day abilities, retain major creation and replace possess with magic jar, and servant horde with summon nature's ally of some sort?

For the 3/week abilities, how about a Su ability to either bestow a curse or a blessing? And for the fascination power, another Su ability?

The hu hsien can be hit only by + 3 weapons or better. She has limited regeneration, healing at the rate of 2 hit points per hour. She is immune to fire and takes only half damage from cold-based attacks (no damage on a successful saving throw). She suffers double damage from electrical-based attacks. She greatly fears thunderstorms, since the Celestial Emperor sometimes sends the Thunder God to punish the hu hsien for her wicked ways.

DR x/magic (and/or cold iron)?
Fast healing 1?
Immunity to fire and resistance to cold 10?
Vulnerability to electricity?

The hu hsien sustains herself by draining the life force of human victims. To do so, she must assume human form and trick a human into spending time with her, generally by using her fascinate power to cause the victim to fall hopelessly in love. Thereafter, each day the victim spends with the hu hsien results in the loss of one experience level, similar to the effects of an energy drain. The victim, totally blinded by love, is not aware of what is happening and does not realize what has befallen him. Once this process begins, the victim only can be saved if the hu hsien is driven away or destroyed by others.

This looks complex. :erm:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer

Yes, yes, and +4. Not sure if we need it given alternate form, but I could also see a racial Disguise bonus.

At will - invisibility (self only), disguise self, hypnotism, read magic, comprehend languages, ventriloquism, hypnotic pattern?

I'd say we drop polymorph (since it has an alternate form), replace ESP with detect thoughts and apparition with scare or some illusion spell. I can't think of a good replacement for chameleon or know history.
I'll agree with those suggestions. Would legend lore make sense as a replacement for know history, maybe less often (given the casting time)? I'm just guessing based on the name. Also, chameleon sounds perhaps redundant given invisibility, but we should look up what it does.

For the 1/day abilities, retain major creation and replace possess with magic jar, and servant horde with summon nature's ally of some sort?

For the 3/week abilities, how about a Su ability to either bestow a curse or a blessing? And for the fascination power, another Su ability?
I'll agree with that. Fascination should be some kind of strong charm effect, given how they use it.

Fast healing 1?
DR 5, and I'd say magic and cold iron to represent the toughness of +3 or better weapons.
The rest sounds good.

This looks complex. :erm:
Why not a succubus kiss 1/day?

Cleon

Legend

I'm getting the impression it can take on an animal form that's either four-legged or two-legged or turn into a handsome female human, giving it three alternate forms like some lycanthropes.

I'd throw in Sylvan since I feel they'd associate with trickster Fey.

Oh yes, and maybe Diplomacy as well.

Do we want to give them any of the Fox's racial boni?

Scare is fine by me, and legend lore is a good fit to know history.

I'd like to give them mirage arcana as one their high-level SLAs, so they can do that old "make a dilapidated ruin look like a palace" trick.

Fast healing 1?

I'll go along with all that.

Regarding the level-draining, it needn't be that complicated. We just need something like:

Life-Draining: Once a day, a hu hsien can feed on the life force of a human victim it has enchanted with its fascinate power. The hu hsien must remain in close, friendly contact with its victim for an hour, at the end of which it bestows one negative level on its victim. The victim is totally blinded by love and does not realize what has befallen them and will allow the hu hsien to slowly drain them to death, one negative level per day. The victim can only be saved if the hold of the fascinate power is broken (e.g. by break enchantment) or the hu hsien is driven away or destroyed by others.

Remove ads