Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated (sans alternate form, fascinate, and curse/blessing abilities until we hammer them out).

Foxes appear to have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks. I'm happy to retain those here.

I also think it should have low-light vision and scent like a fox in any form.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think alternate form is 2 options: the humanoid female with the tail, and the fox which can go bipedal as it desires. That's from the direct quote.

Yes, let's keep all the fox boni, low-light vision, and scent.

Cleon

Legend
Updated (sans alternate form, fascinate, and curse/blessing abilities until we hammer them out).

Foxes appear to have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks. I'm happy to retain those here.

I also think it should have low-light vision and scent like a fox in any form.

Yes, I'd like to give it those SQs and racial boni in all its forms.

As for the alternate form, I'd just give the fox form a higher speed (40 ft.?) and a bite attack and the human form a bonus on Disguise checks to appear to be a beautiful woman. Why not keep it simple?

Cleon

Legend
That would be fine for the alternate form, but I'm curious: why the boosted speed for the fox?

Didn't it have standard human speed in lady form?

Oh, no it looks like the original was 15" both as lady and fox, so we should make it 40 ft in both forms.

freyar

Reasonable enough. We can just note that in the alternate form (unless Shade objects). Did shapechangers usually have a fixed speed in earlier editions?

freyar

I'm thinking fascination should be a lot like charm person, but maybe permanent. The "hopelessly in love" bit also makes me think it's a little stronger than charm person, but I'm not sure how I'd change the wording from "trusted friend and ally."

Cleon

Legend
Reasonable enough. We can just note that in the alternate form (unless Shade objects). Did shapechangers usually have a fixed speed in earlier editions?

It varied from case to case, but a lot of them had different speeds in their alternate forms.

Cleon

Legend
I'm thinking fascination should be a lot like charm person, but maybe permanent. The "hopelessly in love" bit also makes me think it's a little stronger than charm person, but I'm not sure how I'd change the wording from "trusted friend and ally."

A charm person makes the target "friendly" for 1 hour/level. How about increasing the intensity to "helpful" (the next highest stage on the Diplomacy skillcheck ladder) and the duration to 1 day/level?

EDIT: Or if we really wanted to boost it we could use the Epic Diplomacy level of "fanatic", but I think I prefer "helpful".

Remove ads