Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Don't know about per level, but helpful and a duration of days is reasonable. Not sure about the mechanics of making someone fall in love, but helpful seems a good way to put things.

Cleon

Legend
Don't know about per level, but helpful and a duration of days is reasonable. Not sure about the mechanics of making someone fall in love, but helpful seems a good way to put things.

Well we could just make it a random duration of around a few days or a week - 2d6 days perhaps?

Cleon

Legend
Helpful and 2d6 days sounds good.

Sounds like a plan!

That leaves the blessing/curse and fascinate.

The original description has "Three times per week, she can use either reward or ancient curse. When in human form, she has the power of fascination."

For fascinate we could just use the bard's special ability, maybe with the addition of allowing them to fascinate through Perform skills like dance?

The ancient curse and reward are a bit trickier, since from what I remember of the original description these spells were very open-ended in what woes or weals they could provide. Maybe we should treat it like a limited wish the Hu Hsien can only use to reward or punish a creature that has helped or harmed it? Or give a list of allowable effects (heal/harm spells up to level X, major creation, heroes' feast, mage's magnificent mansion, mark of justice-grade curse, blindness/deafness that is resistant to healing et cetera)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought the charm bit we were discussing was a replacment for fascinate?!? :erm:

For the blessing/curse, I'd prefer to simplify it to bestow curse and a positive equivalent for the blessing (like a +6 increase to an ability score or a +4 bonus on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks).

Cleon

Legend
I thought the charm bit we were discussing was a replacment for fascinate?!? :erm:

For the blessing/curse, I'd prefer to simplify it to bestow curse and a positive equivalent for the blessing (like a +6 increase to an ability score or a +4 bonus on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks).

Are you sure that's a good idea.:confused:

PCs would be queuing up to "help" these foxy ladies if they thought they could wangle a permanent +6 to an ability score!

I'd rather have the beneficial version be the equivalent of bless plus permanency.

freyar

I thought the same about charm/fascinate. I meant to write that up, even, but ran out of time.

Permanent bless is ok here, too. Of course, if the PCs want to help, remember that the Hu Hsien are CE after all. :p

freyar

Well, I'll go for Fascinate. I'm undecided on Su vs Sp.

Fascinate (Su? Sp?): A hu hsien may fascinate a single humanoid within 30 ft. This functions as a charm person spell with a duration of 2d6 days, except that the subject becomes helpful rather than friendly. Also, the hu hsien receives a +4 racial bonus to Charisma checks if necessary to convince the subject to remain in her company. A DC X Will save negates this effect. [Either the bit about the save DC or the effective spell level.]

Remove ads