Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, note that the savage ability Shade lists counts some of the rending as AoO. The whole thing is a little confusing, I think.

Alertness and Flyby sound good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That's fine. I just think it's a little ambiguous as it is.

Why don't we just write it up like this?

Rend Fallen (Ex): An elephant bird automatically deals an additional 1d6 points of damage to a foe it knocks prone with its overrun attack. If an opponent goes prone for any reason (perhaps as the subject of another elephant bird's overrun attack) in an area the elephant bird threatens, the elephant bird can also rend the victim as a free action (treat as the elephant bird's attack of opportunity for the round), even though it had nothing to do with overrunning the foe.

It shouldn't do a ton of extra damage, as it only threatens adjacent squares, and it lacks Combat Reflexes.

freyar

I think that's fine. And a mean DM can always switch a feat for Combat Reflexes. I mean, shoot, I could see switching out Alertness. ;)

Now that we have the Overrun ability, do we still need Imp Overrun as a bonus feat? It would provide a nice +4 bonus (which then should be added to the Overrun ability).

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think it's worth keeping for the reason you suggested, and for the fact that it's such an under-used feat. :)

Updated.

If they cannot overbear their opponents, they will attempt to land on them and blind them with flapping wings and flying feathers. Although this attack causes no damage, it does force the opponent to attack at a -3 on his attack roll.

It looks like we missed the wing buffet attack.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Why don't we just write it up like this?

Rend Fallen (Ex): An elephant bird automatically deals an additional 1d6 points of damage to a foe it knocks prone with its overrun attack. If an opponent goes prone for any reason (perhaps as the subject of another elephant bird's overrun attack) in an area the elephant bird threatens, the elephant bird can also rend the victim as a free action (treat as the elephant bird's attack of opportunity for the round), even though it had nothing to do with overrunning the foe.

It shouldn't do a ton of extra damage, as it only threatens adjacent squares, and it lacks Combat Reflexes.

That'll do.

freyar

Re: wing buffet. It looks like that doesn't do damage and isn't an "attack" per se. Instead, it gives penalties, much like being prone does anyway. So the question is whether these penalties stack or should be ignored. To answer the question, does anyone know if being prone in 2e gave attack penalties?

Cleon

Legend
I think it's worth keeping for the reason you suggested, and for the fact that it's such an under-used feat. :)

I agree with that.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/5028216-post824.html
It looks like we missed the wing buffet attack.

Oops! You're right. I remember seeing an adaptation of the Swan that had something similar, a wing-buffet touch attack that dazzled any sighted creature it struck for a round.

That doesn't seem a big enough penalty to me, considering the original -3 to hit is 75% of AD&D's penalty to hit an invisible target. How about upping it to concealment (20% miss chance) or cover (+4 AC) for a round. I think soft cover.

So, shall we add a "wing-buffets +6 touch (concealment)" or "wing-buffets +1 touch (concealment)" for a full attack? The SA could go something like:
Wing-Buffet: If an elephant bird hits with a wing-buffet attack its opponent is half-blinded for a round, during which time all the opponent's attacks are treated as if their target(s) had soft cover (+4 AC, no attacks of opportunity).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm...

A quick search finds we've done a few of these before:

Wing Buffet (Ex): As a standard action, a flying manni can buffet an opponent within melee reach with its wings. This attack deals 1d2 hp of damage, and the opponent must make a DC 13 Fortitude save or be dazed for one round. The save DC is Strength-based.

Wing Buffet (Ex): If a fire falcon hits with both wing attacks, it slaps its target in the face, causing the target to lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, even if it normally cannot lose this bonus. If the target is mounted, it also loses its Dexterity bonus to Ride checks, and must succeed on a Ride check with a –10 penalty to the DC to stay mounted. The DC for the check increases by +2 for every additional fire falcon that is buffeting the target. If the target is blind, or wearing a full face helmet, it is immune to the buffet.

freyar

Rather than an attack penalty, since they're prone already, let's go with dazed like the manni. We can drop the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads