Airwalkrr's Greyhawk D&D 3.5 - Maure Castle OOC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
At player request, I am planning to run a high-level PBP D&D 3.5 campaign starting at 12th level. I will accept up to four players. Player selection will be via interview (not first-come, first-served). Criteria for acceptance will be the ability to post at least once per 48-hour period, an excellent working knowledge of the game system, and current obligations.

The interview will consist of two parts and will take place over AIM, Y!M, or a chat server of your choice (provided I don't have to download anything to use it). The first part will be simple questions regarding your experience and obligations (e.g. how long have you been playing 3.5, how many games are you currently playing, etc.). The second part will consist of a short, ten-question quiz testing your knowledge of game mechanics. The quiz will only refer to the Player's Handbook and magic items from the Dungeon Master's Guide. You will be given a reasonable amount of time to locate the rule in question should you need it (being able to find a rule is just as important as knowing the rule itself). Everyone will answer the same questions. The interview should only take about 15 minutes, mere child's play compared to the time it will take to create your character.

Why is the interview important?
I have run high-level many times before and have encountered the following problems on numerous occasions. 1) Players who don't understand enough about the game to handle reasonable challenges at high-level. 2) Players who don't care to commit the time necessary to running a high-level character.

In order to schedule an interview, contact me via PM and I will give you my AIM, MSN, ICQ or Y!M. The interview will be conducted over one of those messenger services.

Edit: At present I am only accepting alternates. I will accept up to four alternates and conduct interviews with the alternates should a spot become available and select the best from the group. I may run a second group if there is enough interest, but I will not begin interviews for that group until after the first group is already up and running.

Please do not create a character before your interview. I will accept the first four players who pass the interview portion. I do not expect a "perfect score," simply a reasonable knowledge of the game and the time to participate effectively. I will also consider the interview as a whole. There will be no "slam dunk" or "killer" questions.

The following guidelines will be in effect for character creation, just to give you an idea of what I will allow.

1) Choose a) one PH class, b) two PH classes, c) one PH class and one prestige class from any official D&D 3.5 source, or d) one class from any official D&D 3.5 source, including Dragon Compendium, Vol. 1. (This means no "theurge" classes.)
2) Choose a PH race.
3) Character Wealth by Level according to Table 5-1 in the DMG. No item may be worth more than 1/4 total wealth. Characters may use item creation feats to spend gold and XP on item creation. Starting XP of 160,000.
4) Any official D&D 3.5 feats (except Leadership and similar "cohort" feats).
5) Choice of 25 point buy or 4d6, drop lowest, arrange as desired.
6) Assumption will be at least one arcane caster and one divine caster in the party as it is virtually impossible to survive high-level encounters without them.
7) Rules from Eberron and Forgotten Realms will not be allowed.
8) Magic items, equipment, and spells must be drawn from the PH and DMG for character creation. Other items and spells will become available during the course of the campaign.
9) Special rules apply for access to psionics and other optional rules. Please contact me for details if you wish to utilize such options.
10) Hit points are fixed, according to the DMG page 198.
11) If you spend XP to craft items, you will still be 12th level. It will just take a little longer to reach 13th level.

Current Players
Rathan: warlock 12
Vertexx69: paladin 5/ashworm dragoon 7
Voda Vosa: barbarian 5/rogue 7
Thanee: favored soul 12

Sheyd: alternate
HolyMan: alternate

House Rules
Classes
Assassin: The assassin is a base class. The assassin will be included as an attachment.
Bard Spells: Bards select their spells from the druid spell list plus any spells that are exclusive to bards (such as summon instrument).
Blackguard: The Blackguard prestige class is replaced in most instances by the Blackguard base class (see below) and the Dark Knight (also below).

Equipment
Weapon Durability: Each time a melee weapon deals damage that exceeds the hardness of the weapon, the weapon takes 1 point of damage. Note enhancement bonuses increase the total hardness and hit points of a weapon.
Armor Durability: Each time a character in armor is struck for damage that exceeds the hardness of the armor, the armor takes 1 point of damage. A character with a shield can opt for the shield to absorb the attack instead. Note enhancement bonuses increase the total hardness and hit points of armor and shields.
Repairs: See the Craft skill for rules on repairing items. The make whole spell can also repair a damaged, but not completely broken, item.
Masterwork Items: Masterwork items gain +1 to hardness and +5 to hit points.
Critical Hits and Durability: Only the first die (or dice as the case may be if the weapon does multiple dice of damage normally) plus modifier are used to determine whether a weapon is damaged by a strike. This is because critical hits have more to do with the location hit and less to do with the force of the blow.
Sneak Attack and Durability: Sneak Attack damage does not count when determining whether a weapon is damaged by a blow.
Weapon Special Abilities and Durability: The magic special abilities of weapons, such as flaming or holy, do not count when determining whether a weapon is damaged by a blow.
Poison: Once affected by poison, a character must make a saving throw each round against the poison until the poison’s effects end or the poison effect is removed by means of a Heal check or spell. Poison deals damage each round that the saving throw is failed. Every poison has two phases, the initial phase and the secondary phase. The initial phase lasts for a number of rounds equal to the maximum value of the die used for damage under the standard poison rules for the initial phase and deals a number of points of damage on a failed save equal to the total number of dice rolled for the initial phase. The secondary phase then begins, following the same rules as the initial phase, except the secondary phase dice under the standard rules are used. For example, a poison that deals 1d6 Con initial damage and 2d6 Con secondary damage would last for 6 rounds in the initial phase and six rounds in the secondary phase. During the initial phase, a failed save would result in 1 point of Con damage, and during the secondary phase a failed save would result in 2 points of Con damage. This results in the same amount of average damage mathematically, but makes poison more of an ongoing threat.

Religion
St. Cuthbert: Change alignment to Lawful Good.

Spells
Darkness/Deeper Darkness: Replace the term “shadowy illumination” with “shadows.” These spells create an area that is lightless unless overcome, countered, or dispelled by a higher level light spell.
Heroes’ Feast: This spell does not grant immunity to poison or fear. Instead, a creature that succumbs to a fear effect or poison may re-roll the saving throw versus any fear or poison effect one round after the effect takes place, much like the rogue ability slippery mind.
Greater Magic Weapon: Change the duration of this spell to 10 minutes/level.
Magic Vestment: Change the duration of this spell to 10 minutes/level.
Silence: Not so much a house rule as a clarification/interpretation; if used as an area effect as part of a readied action to disrupt a spellcaster casting a spell with a verbal component, the spellcaster receives a Concentration check (DC equal to the spell’s saving throw DC + spell level) to succeed in casting the spell (although the caster will be subject to the silence spell’s effect afterward, regardless of the result of this check). Using a silence spell in this way is to be treated as a non-damaging distracting spell (see the Concentration skill).

Unearthed Arcana Variants
Cloistered Cleric, page 50: Most clerics found tending to temples are cloistered clerics, while those who travel and engage in adventuring are standard clerics.
Paladin Variants, page 53: Divine warriors of other extreme alignments are as common as those of Lawful Good alignment. They are known as Liberators (Chaotic Good), Blackguards (Chaotic Evil), and Dark Knights (Lawful Evil). Liberators are common among elves and the faithful of Trithereon. Blackguards are common among drow, orcs, and the faithful of Iuz. Dark Knights are common among hobgoblins and the faithful of Hextor. The standard Paladin is common among dwarves and the faithful of Heironeous.
Weapon Group Feats, page 94: Multiclass characters do not gain the additive effect of multiple classes for weapon group feats. Total number of weapon groups is based on the best value for all classes in which the character has levels. So a fighter/rogue would have four weapon groups, not the additive value of six. Prestige classes may grant bonus weapon groups depending on the nature of the class. Exotic weapons may not be chosen from those weapon groups granted by a class. Exotic weapon groups must be selected as feats (fighter bonus feats included).
Death and Dying, page 121
Contacts, page 179: For this variant, determine how many contacts you have and then indicate to me what kind of contacts you would like (arcane, divine, mercenary company, arms dealer, guild, etc.). I will then provide you with a description of each contact, as well as where they are located. If you know of a particular organization within the World of Greyhawk with which you would like to have a contact, you may request it specifically (although I cannot guarantee I will honor the request; it depends on the group, your character's alignment, etc.).
Test-Based Prerequisites, page 210: For this variant, test-based prerequisites replace the standard prerequisites of prestige classes. Having the standard prerequisites for a prestige class is still helpful as the test will be easier for those with the standard prerequisites. Characters who begin play with a prestige class are presumed to have already passed the test required for their prestige class.
Level-Independent XP Awards, page 213: You begin with a base XP of 160,000. Note that magic item creation costs for items greater than 2,000 gp are increased. See chart on page 214 for magic item creation cost multiplier. Note also spells 4th level and higher with an XP component have an increased XP cost. See chart on page 215 for XP cost multiplier.
Note: All of these variants can be found in the Hypertext d20 SRD.

Dungeon Master's Guide Variants
Skills with Different Abilities, page 33: I will inform you when a skill uses a different ability. Some common examples include using Intimidate with a demonstration of physical prowess, thus requiring a Strength modifier in place of Charisma, or using Climb to scale a relatively easy cliff face for an extended amount of time, thus requiring a Constitution check in place of Strength.
Saves with Different Abilities, page 35: I will inform you when a save uses a different ability. Some common examples include resisting the knock-down effect of a powerful wind with Fortitude (standing strong against the wind), thus requiring a Strength modifier in place of Constitution, or opposing a command from a charm person spell with Will (the battling of personality strength), thus requiring a Charisma modifier in place of Wisdom.
Upkeep, page 130: An upkeep level lower than Common may result in a penalty to certain Charisma-based checks and Fortitude saves to resist disease. An upkeep level greater than Common may result in a bonus to certain Charisma-based checks. Upkeep will be paid on the first day of the campaign and every 28 days thereafter. Upkeep may be raised at any time during the month by paying the difference between existing upkeep and the new level desired, but this is a flat-cost; it will not be pro-rated.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
I'm interested. Here are my thoughts about character:
1)a) Barbarian
2) Half-orc
4) I'm thinking on power attack, cleave, improved trip, weapon focus (greatsword), improved critical (greatsword)
5) Of course the higher STR I can get, then CON, then Dex. He'll be fairly stupid, and probably named "Motak"

Rathan

First Post
More than likely I will opt for a human warlock..... unless someone feels I would go with a different race.....

Voda Vosa

First Post
I'm picturing a gnome ninja and let me tell you I'm cracking my self out. J/K, sure he can, ahm... sneak atack you with his nose, yes? =D

s@squ@tch

First Post
I'd love to play, but don't think the interview portion would work out well, as I can't IM from work (during the day), and have 2 small children at home that take a lot of my time then.

I look forward to reading the adventure though.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm interested. Here are my thoughts about character:
1)a) Barbarian
2) Half-orc
4) I'm thinking on power attack, cleave, improved trip, weapon focus (greatsword), improved critical (greatsword)
5) Of course the higher STR I can get, then CON, then Dex. He'll be fairly stupid, and probably named "Motak"
I've always enjoyed gaming with you VV. Still, I'd like you to partake of the interview as well, just to be fair.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases