So I Want To Run A Western Game...

MortalPlague

Adventurer
What's a good system for Westerns? I'd like to run a pretty action-packed game, though I'd also like a healthy dose of lethality involved (particularly with gunfights). I was considering using the Traveler system and just reflavoring it to fit, but if there's something great that would fit the bill, I'd love to hear about it.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am a big fan of Deadlands, the classic version, not the revised or d20 versions.

It has a lot of wonky mechanics, but combats are deadly. It really brings out a different roleplay vibe.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Savage Worlds seems to be the "go to" system for Western games and pretty much anything else. Why not give it a try? It's very cheap, too, and there's a lot of fan-made stuff available.

Primal

First Post
'Deadlands' and 'Aces & Eights' have been already mentioned, but I also heartily recommend them. If you want to run a grittier, heavily thematic western game, I'd also recommend 'Dogs in the Vineyard' and 'Dust Devils'.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am a big fan of Deadlands, the classic version, not the revised or d20 versions.

It has a lot of wonky mechanics, but combats are deadly. It really brings out a different roleplay vibe.

I will second Deadlands. My players found the wonky mechanics to actually add to the atmosphere. of the game.

Talysian

Explorer
I will second Deadlands. My players found the wonky mechanics to actually add to the atmosphere. of the game.

I'm gonna third deadlands the cards and chips just add to the western feel. and you do not have to throw the supernatural in if you don't want to.!

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Dogs in the Vineyard is excellent, but it's not necessarily a western RPG so much as it's a game about being the enforcers of a religious tradition rooting out demons from small towns. Dust Devils might be closer to what you want. Aces and Eights is really complex, but it's exhaustive.

Cheers,
Cam

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
My favorites in order are:

Sidewinder Reloaded
Savage Worlds
Deadlands (love the fluff, don't much like the rules)
Aces & Eights (a little too complicated for my playing style)

Dogs in the Vineyard is great if your game has tough moral decisions and not many people, but it's modeling something other than the classic shoot-em-up.

Remove ads