So I Want To Run A Western Game...

The Shaman

First Post
Sidewinder Recoiled is one of my favorite d20 games, but if you want lethality, it's hard to surpass the grandpappy of Western rpgs, Boot Hill.

Deadlands is too gimmicky for my tastes; so is Savage Worlds, and I've not seen a Western-specific iteration of the game. Aces and Eights is too fiddly for me.

Woas

First Post
How about Barbarians of Lemuria? It's a Sword & Sorcery game at it's core but so easily adapted to any genre or theme. It is a 2d6 > TN game system so if you are familiar with Traveller, it will be easy to learn and get playing.

Filcher

First Post
Boot Hill!

As soon as I can get out of this rocking chair and find my teeth, I'll get the neighborhood kid to go through my attic and dig up the rules ...

lejanius

Explorer
I am biased but Aces and Eights is the best western style game out there. It is somewhat complicated but a few sessions in you will find that it gets much easier.

Good luck, the Western Genre is often overlooked but it is a great genre and there are some good games for it out there.

Let us know how it goes.

Aegir

First Post
Seeing as all the obvious ones have been tossed out there, I'll toss Cortex out there. It was designed for a Firefly/Serenity game after all, and Firefly is just a western with spaceships.

Treebore

First Post
If you really want "action packed" and very palpable lethality get Aces and Eights. Its also scaled, so you can keep it as simple as you want, and add whatever complexity you want. First Western that really "grabbed" me, and I have tried Savage Worlds, Go Fer Yer Gun, GURPS, Boot Hill, and a couple of others, and even though they were fun, none were as action packed and on the edge of your seat lethality. Heck, even the brawls and chases were exciting.

However, we all know tastes vary, so I can only hope your tastes are similar enough to mine to like it best.

Remove ads