Games I own that I'll never play (again)

MGibster

Legend
My first big gaming purge was around 1998 when I got rid of all my AD&D 2nd edition books and accessories. Part of me misses those books, but the adult in me is glad I haven't lugged them around these last 25 years.

So let's see what I currently have in my collection.

GURPS 4th edition - Last played around 2004-2005. I wouldn't playing a game that used GURPS rules, but I sure don't want to build a camapign from scratch with it. It doesn't help that my players dislike the system quite a bit. This one is never being played again.

Rogue Trader (Fantasy Flight Games) - Last played around 2010-11. My players and I all agreed this was a terrible game and we collectively decided to give up on it about 5-6 sessions into the campaign.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Eden Studios) - Last played around 2010-11. It's not a bad system at all, but if it hasn't been played in the last 13-14 years it probably isn't ever going to get played.

I'm not going to count games that I haven't played yet but are collecting dust at the moment. I'm holding out hope.

giant.robot

Adventurer
Here's a couple more "probably won't play again" games from my shelves that I don't dislike, I just don't think I'll ever find interested players:
  • James Bond - Ok game but really only good for playing James Bond™ thought there's some general spy/thriller material.
  • FASA Star Trek - My patience for huge skills lists has long run out. I still love the books for Kirk-era lore and plot hooks if not just running adventures with STA.
  • Traveller TNE - I like this Traveller milieu because of the PA elements. The system has aged out of my patience and if I managed to find a group Interested in both Traveller and this milieu I'd probably just run MTG2e as I think it's more accessible.
  • DC Heroes - Not a bad system but I never got more than a couple sessions back in the day, I'm unlikely to ever play it again. I mostly love the books though.

My first big gaming purge was around 1998 when I got rid of all my AD&D 2nd edition books and accessories. Part of me misses those books, but the adult in me is glad I haven't lugged them around these last 25 years.
I was in roughly the same position at the end of the 90s, but through overwhelming nostalgia and a lack of prudence I started buying back a lot of stuff in the late 10s.
So now I have
  • AD&D 2: all books for Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and Dark Sun; most rule books, too
  • D&D 3: all books for Forgotten Realms; all rule books of 3.5e; most rule books of 3e
  • Warhammer Fantasy 2: all books
  • Shadowrun 1 and 2: all books
  • Cyberpunk 2020: all books
  • Stormbringer 1: all books
It's a bit less bad than it seems, because these are all German books, so especially for D&D the number of books is lower than it would be for the original English version. However, the downside is that all digital versions, if they ever existed, are lost in licensing limbo. And while I do have English PDFs for many of those, this makes it harder to part with these books, especially in the light of the still-lingering nostalgia.

Last edited:

manduck

Explorer
For me, it's D&D 2e through 5e and Mutants and Masterminds. I've had a lot of fun with both games over the years. Though I'm completely done with both games. So is everyone else in my group. There are other fantasy or superhero games that give us the kind of experience we want so much better than D&D and M&M. I will say though that sometimes you can mine those books for some ideas. So it's not like they're going to waste. Though I have tried to sell my 5e books to clear a little shelf space for new games and didn't have much luck.

hgjertsen

Explorer
Don't think I'll ever play Things From The Flood or the Modiphius Conan game system, both are really appealing lore-wise but the former has mechanics I despise and the latter is only interesting to me and no one else in my friendgroup.

Remove ads