WotBS Errata for WotBS 4e: Perceived or Otherwise

samursus

Explorer
First off, please understand this isn't a bashing of anyone or anything. I just thought it might be helpful to those running the Adventure Path for the first time. Also, if anyone can prove any of the perceived errors are indeed errors on my part please do so.

4E01: Scouring

1)While the experience tracking table is handy, there are a few errors. The first Encounter Ambush list the Xp as 700 baseline, yet if you go to the Tactical page and add the numbers, you may get wildly varying results depending on how you interpret it. For example, are the Ceiling Traps considered 3 separate elements at 100XP each or all as one. Are the attack dogs considered part of the encounter? Also the Encounter lists 2 Thugs but only one is mentioned or has a "T" on the map.

Also the table lists 5 Level 1 Treasure parcels for the White Wyrms encounter, but in the text, 2 of those 5 are actually to be found in the Dead Rising Encounter.

2)The Convincing Counsel skill challenge Insight and Streetwise entries are the same ones from the Convincing Shealis skill challenge. Also, and correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Secondary skills supposed to have an added benefit instead of counting as a success? If so, then the secondary skills are missing that part.

3)The tunnel being dug to the Singing Chasm by the Eladrin is mentioned a fair bit by Rivereye and Buron, so I was surprised to find no more mention of it after meeting Shealis, as my players tried to find out more about it, as a way to escape.

4)This may be under the "perceived" errors. I found it unclear from many of the Skill DC's in the skill challenge bits (as well as in the non-skill challenges) what the writers intentions were. The DC's are extremely low and that made me question whether or not they were not converted from 3.5. Most skill checks were automatic successes using passive checks; for example < 10. This also made me wonder if the writer's did not intend for passive checks at any point in the module.

5)Again, maybe only a perceived error, but the Case that the PC's are expected to obtain lists the open DC as a 28 Thievery or Strength check, and according to the text assumes that opening it will be a rare thing (requiring the PC's to repeatedly drop it off of a building). However with 4e Skills, this was easily done by the Assassin with a set of Thieves tools and being allowed to retry until successful. Again this might be merely straight conversion from 3.5 without remembering the differences. Suggestion, raise the DC to at least 30, possibly 35.

6)Minor typo in the read-aloud text on page 12 in Scene 5. The text box mentions Torrent leaving with Rivereye, but in the previous paragraph it says Rivereye is bed-ridden with pneumonia.

I will add any more as I come across them or I remember... please feel free to add anything you had issues with.

Last edited:

Truename

First Post
The encounter budget for the White Wyrms encounter is listed incorrectly. It's actually 1075, not 1200.

This error contributed to a TPK in progress for my group, because it caused me to add too many monsters when scaling the encounter for 6 players.

Remove ads