Homebrew Firearms

The Human Target

Adventurer
I was hoping you kings of balance and rules making could check out these fast and easy firearms I made up for my next campaign and tell me if they're balanced vs the ranged weapons already in the game.

I'm not looking for real world comparisons, just mechanical balance.

And I whipped these up in like 15 minutes so don't judge me too hard if they suck. :erm:

Military Ranged Weapons
One Handed
Pocket Pistol
Prof: +2
Damage: 1d4
Range 5/10
Properties: Load Minor, Off-Hand
Price- ?
Weight- 3lbs
Group- Firearms

Pistol
Damage: 1d6
Range 10/20
Properties: Load Minor, Versatile
Price- ?
Weight- 4lbs
Group- Firearms
---------------------------------------
Two Handed
Shotgun/Blunderbuss
Damage: 2d4
Range 5/10
Properties: Load Minor, High Crit
Price- ?
Weight- 6lbs
Group- Firearms

Rifle/Musket
Damage: 1d8
Range 15/30
Properties: Load Minor, Brutal 1
Price- ?
Weight- 5lbs
Group- Firearms

Rachel

First Post
Even though I usually dont play with firearms, I like these very much.
They are more of the K.I.S.S. (you know what that means!) variety than say, those used in Warhammer FRPG, which is actually an attractive quality to me. Unfortunately, Im not the best with 4ed mechanics but I will say the price of course will depend alot on how rare these will be in your particular D&D world. In mine (if they existed at all) they would be prohibitively expensive (sort of a very newly developed, start-up tech advancement). But again, I don't use firearms. :p

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Why does the pistol do more damage if you hold it in 2 hands? I know it's an abstract system, but that just sits a little oddly with me.

Personally I think the best tack is to give firearms the exact same stats and drawbacks as crossbows, and then to change everywhere in the rules that says "crossbows" to say "guns and crossbows".

BobTheNob

First Post
It does have some oddities (like the versatile...), but integrating firearms into a fantasy (/medival) setting is always a hard thing to do.

What you have there maintains perfect compliance with existing weapons. Doesnt try to be any more or any less compared to other weapons of ilk and therefore would integrate into the existing game with no fuss what-so-ever.

Mind you, Im more of a fan of gunpowder weapons being a bit more "exotic" and therefore requireing superior weapon prof, and subsequently getting a little more kick.

I also like Saev's suggestion that they are equivelent to crossbows, as this gives them integration with existing powers. Mind you, a rogue using a gun? Not a stealthy rogue I am assuming.

circadianwolf

First Post
Why does the pistol do more damage if you hold it in 2 hands? I know it's an abstract system, but that just sits a little oddly with me.

That actually made perfect sense to me. It's a lot easier to fire a pistol with two hands than with one. Better accuracy, more damage.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Even though I usually dont play with firearms, I like these very much.
They are more of the K.I.S.S. (you know what that means!) variety than say, those used in Warhammer FRPG, which is actually an attractive quality to me. Unfortunately, Im not the best with 4ed mechanics but I will say the price of course will depend alot on how rare these will be in your particular D&D world. In mine (if they existed at all) they would be prohibitively expensive (sort of a very newly developed, start-up tech advancement). But again, I don't use firearms. :p

Yeah, I subscribe to the KISS system in all things, gaming or otherwise.

Price wise I'm kinda indifferent. PCs have so much money by second level it really becomes a moot point (Unless I make them incredibly "not standard gear expensive.) I'll probably make them pricey enough so that normal NPC goons can't afford em and leave it at that.

Thanks for the input.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I was wondering, could we create a gunblade? Like the one in FFVIII? I loved that weapon.

I fully expect someone to ask for that sooner or later.

As soon as the "we can have guns?!" factor wears off.

Though funnily enough no one in my group is seemingly going to have a gun, as it doesn't fit their concept.

Which makes me oddly proud.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases