Adventure: A Fish Story (DM: BenBrown; Judge: renau1g)

Wik

First Post
"You know, I imagine I could climb that wall there, and get into one of those windows. If I do it fast enough, I might even be able to lower a rope and get everyone in.

Someone should be on lookout. And I imagine those doors are locked. Anyone got a plan?"

Eternal54

First Post
[sblock=Ben]

Sorry about the gods, I didn't catch that when I created my character nor was it brought to my attention. It actually throws alot of my character concept out the window because none of the 12 gods fully descibe my desired deity, very frustrating. Never the less I will go back and errata my speech.

Also, for the skill challange you state 20DC for primary and 12DC for secondary. Does this mean if we use a skill not listed we only need a DC12? I'm sorry if this is common knowledge but this is my first pbp.:)

[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=Ben]

Sorry about the gods, I didn't catch that when I created my character nor was it brought to my attention. It actually throws alot of my character concept out the window because none of the 12 gods fully descibe my desired deity, very frustrating. Never the less I will go back and errata my speech.

Also, for the skill challange you state 20DC for primary and 12DC for secondary. Does this mean if we use a skill not listed we only need a DC12? I'm sorry if this is common knowledge but this is my first pbp.:)

[/sblock]

[sblock=Eternal54]Yes, that's what that means. Non-listed skills take a DC12.

Sorry 'bout the gods not working out exactly. You'll note, also, that the gods have no alignments. You don't have to toss your character concept entirely, though. A specific order of knights could very easily be just about anything, and doesn't have to be dedicated to a specific god. Let me know if I can help. [/sblock]

Wik

First Post
[sblock=Eternal54]Yes, that's what that means. Non-listed skills take a DC12.

Sorry 'bout the gods not working out exactly. You'll note, also, that the gods have no alignments. You don't have to toss your character concept entirely, though. A specific order of knights could very easily be just about anything, and doesn't have to be dedicated to a specific god. Let me know if I can help. [/sblock]

[sblock=ben]

But, by "secondary skills", you mean "succeed on this check to grant an ally a +2 instead of getting a success", right?

Also, if Abigail were to use her Athletics to, say, climb the walls, would she be able to use her climber's kit to get a +2 on the roll?

See, I'm not sure on how Skill Challenges work, myself - I use Stalker0s method, personally. :) [/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Skill Challenge: Get inside without alerting anybody.

Level 1, Complexity 2 (6 successes before 3 failures)

Current Count: 0 Successes, 0 Failures

• Primary skills are Athletics, Bluff, Perception, and Thievery.
[sblock=Skill Challenge]Um... so, it's better to use secondary skills than primary? Or do secondary skills not provide successes? If so, does Stealth not help in keeping from raising an alarm?[/sblock]

Wik said:
"You know, I imagine I could climb that wall there, and get into one of those windows. If I do it fast enough, I might even be able to lower a rope and get everyone in.

Someone should be on lookout. And I imagine those doors are locked. Anyone got a plan?"

"This one could dispatch savok that walks around building so no alarm is raised... and others that might interfere?" Dante says, scanning the surrounding area.

Wik

First Post
"Yeah. We could take out the guard. But don't kill him." Abigail says, while crouched in a pool of shadow.

"Azuras... Overwatch. Crow if you see trouble"

With that, the dragonling springs into the air, and flies up to a nearby tall building to get a better view of the street.

(If she can, Abigail will send Azuras to peek in the windows. He can fly up to 100 ft. away from Abigail. Does there seem to be light inside the building?)

auberon

First Post

"None better than yours, m'lady. Please proceed. I'll provide a distraction if anyone approaches while you're indisposed."

[sblock=ooc] Alastair will try to distract (bluff) anyone who looks like they may spot Abby climbing.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=I Screwed up] Ack! I goofed! Primary skills should be DC 12.

If you use any of what are listed as "primary skills" you need to get a DC 12 to succeed. Any other skills, DC20.

I apologize. First time doing this and all. Hopefully this will make things more clear.

I'm still not sure how to adjudicate aiding someone else in a skill challenge.

[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=a better explanation]
This is my first time DMing any 4E, and while I think skill challenges are a neat idea, they're still defined a bit fuzzy-like.

Here's how I'm doing it, which may not be strictly by the book.

Each player gets a turn.

On each player's turn, that player declares "I'm doing action X which uses skill Y" and rolls the dice.

The actions don't build on one another (although they can), and aren't assumed to happen in any sequence.

Each skill can presumably be used for a number of things.

You could use perception, in this case, for looking out for trouble, or for taking a look inside the building.

So, just go ahead and declare your action, then roll.

I'm trying to figure this out how to present the challenge better, so please let me know if I'm not clear enough.
[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante hides in the shadows nearby where he can get a good view of the nearby streets and hide, to keep an eye out for the watchmen or others who might spot our activities.

[sblock=Perception]Roll 12 + 7 = 19[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases