L4W Discussion Thread V

covaithe

Explorer
I'm doing some levelling up of characters, and realized that I forgot to stick in DM credits in the XP award I did for Get Me to the Church on Time. Any suggestions as to what to do?

We don't generally award DM credits in the middle of an adventure. I mean, it happens sometimes, and it's not really a problem, but... "by the book" you get them at the end. If you really want them in the middle, you can make a proposal for it. I suppose you could just ask your judge, and if they're feeling nice they'll probably just do it, but... let's not make a habit of that, eh? If we feel that it's appropriate for DMs to get credits in the middle of adventures, the right way to change that is with a proposal, not by just getting in the habit of ignoring the Charter when we think it's convenient.

Luinnar

First Post
When people mention the "char op boards", what exactly are they talking about? I never could find anything on Wizard's website, except the class guide wiki and the various forums, and the char op group, but no forums or sub-forums of anything the Wizard's site that is labeled char op. :)

renau1g

First Post
Oh...we don't? Oh shoot.... apparently I've been offside in all my adventures....

"As there are some long-running adventures in L4W, the DMs of these can petition the judge to award credits during the course of the adventure, typically at the same time as XP is given to the players." From the Charter. It seems based on this the petition is to the judge of teh adventure not a formal proposal so Ben isn't too far off based on the ambigious wording of the charter.

covaithe

Explorer
Oh...we don't? Oh shoot.... apparently I've been offside in all my adventures....

"As there are some long-running adventures in L4W, the DMs of these can petition the judge to award credits during the course of the adventure, typically at the same time as XP is given to the players." From the Charter. It seems based on this the petition is to the judge of teh adventure not a formal proposal so Ben isn't too far off based on the ambigious wording of the charter.

You're not the only one. I think I've even done it from time to time. Like I said, it happens, and so far it hasn't been a problem. The failure mode is this: DM gets dm points, spends them to advance their char, then disappears, leaving the game in the lurch. Then comes back six months later and picks up their character again. They've gotten (and spent) the rewards for DMing, without actually finishing the job.

Eh. I don't know. I'm probably the wrong person to ask about DM credits. Three years in, I'm still not convinced they're a good idea. :)

Remove ads