L4W Discussion Thread V

weldon

Explorer
I understand the reluctance to burden the DMs with more work. I was really focused on creating the page with the infobox template, which seems easiest to do when the DM starts the adventure. Players could certainly update the page as the adventure goes on.

I could make it a real simple copy/paste affair by pulling together the adventure summary format and the new infobox. Especially if I put it all together using Layout Builder. But I need to be a wiki admin to do that. Hmmm....

I think I'll start a proposal to give me admin rights.

treex

First Post
I manged to change the summons myself, but I still need an answer for this question.

From my understanding, you do not, as I cannot find the implement keyword in any of the blink dog's attacks (in fact it doesn't have any keywords, odd. Unless the teleportation bit counts)

Also, since the blink dog and you are separate entities, I would rule no. (If I were a DM ,which I am not)

Walking Dad

First Post
The summons from the Protector druid class (Heroes of the Feywild). They replace the regular druids dailies.

Not the theme companion.

I don't see the implement keyword, but all normal druid summons have them.

If not, do the summons get any damage increase from critical hits? I strongly reconsider my chosen weapliment (summoner's staff), if it's property works neither.

treex

First Post
Again, I don't think those get any benefits from the implements that you wield, since it's you who's wielding it and not your summons. Nor would they have the benefit of triggering crit effects.

Walking Dad

First Post
You know that the summoner's staff has an increased damage die for crits caused by summons? So at least regular summons benefit from implements. I know this. But I was surprised they seemed to forgot it for the protector's summons.

treex

First Post
Well, I was referring to normal implements. And you know, specific > general rules. So summoner's staff might offer a bonus, but not most other implements unless they say otherwise.

Walking Dad

First Post
Regular summons have the implement keyword and are modified by them and use the crit effects. I know this and you have the wrong assumption. The general rule is that powers (like 'summon x') with the implement keyword benefit from implements. If a power does not, they have to say otherwise.

I asked for another specific case (Protector's dailies). The regular is having them the implement keyword.

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
WalkingDad is correct. The presence or absence of the Implement keyword in the Summon power determines whether the Summon receives the caster's implement's enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls, and uses that implement's crit dice. Think of the Summon as a spell with which the caster attacks.

Things like the Blink Dog and Summon Natural Ally, which have neither the implement nor the weapon keyword, are designed to scale with level on their own instead of relying on a scaling enhancement bonus and ability score to keep up. If they added those bonuses they would become too high.

Remove ads