L4W Discussion Thread V

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Are we aloud to select themes for our characters? I mean the ones in the Dark Sun Setting book, btw. My reading over of the charter leads me to believe that it would be a yes, but I thought I'd check first.
Nope. Charter needs this updated.

Fyrm

First Post
That sounds right. Happy I checked first too, would have been rather awkward to make a PC who relied on a theme to work (both mechanically and RP wise) and then find out I couldn't use themes.

renau1g

First Post

rb780nm

First Post
I don't see themes as that powerful. The extra encounter power is not alot stronger than an at will and after 1st level they just give a larger pool of utilities to choose from. They're kind of like a watered down version of kits.

BenBrown

First Post
While we'll revisit it when more generic themes show up from WotC, that's not the entirety of the issue.

In addition to being Dark Sun specific right now, themes also have the problem that they're not ubiquitous. Even with all of the options most of us use, it's still possible for someone with just a copy of the PHB or Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms to sit down and create a character that will be usable here, and it's probably a good idea to keep that accessibility.

rb780nm

First Post
While that is a good point, we routinely allow many non ubiquitous sources like dragon, the power books etc. This is wizard's business model - the more you buy, the more options you get. I dont really like it, but it is what it is.

I think the basic assumption here needs to be that everyone has access to all the books or the character builder, so feats etc are accessible.

Failing that, there are other online sources that have big lists of powers and descriptions of how they work.

I feel really bad about being "that guy", but if it's in the game, it should be in our game.

But on that note, I have no idea how we'd implement the cards that are coming.

rb780nm

First Post
While that is a good point, we routinely allow many non ubiquitous sources like dragon, the power books etc. This is wizard's business model - the more you buy, the more options you get. I dont really like it, but it is what it is.

I think the basic assumption here needs to be that everyone has access to all the books or the character builder, so feats etc are accessible.

Failing that, there are other online sources that have big lists of powers and descriptions of how they work.

I feel really bad about being "that guy", but if it's in the game, it should be in our game.

But on that note, I have no idea how we'd implement the cards that are coming.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I don't see themes as that powerful. The extra encounter power is not alot stronger than an at will and after 1st level they just give a larger pool of utilities to choose from. They're kind of like a watered down version of kits.

Since I'm 10 sessions into a Dark Sun game atm, I can attest that one theme power is extremely powerful: the Noble Adept's Adept's Surge. In addition to Noble Adept giving you an extra power point, adept's surge lets you add 1 to 1d4+1 to a variety of rolls (like attacks and saves).

We only have 3 players left in the game, but we're all Noble Adepts (the other two because it's the best choice for psions, me because I'm a shameless powergamer and it's a great choice for anyone).

Remove ads