Airwalkrr's Greyhawk: Maure Castle IC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
This thread is for players in my Maure Castle campaign only. Others may feel free to lurk. If you would like to discuss the campaign, anyone is welcome to join us in the OOC thread (see signature).

Rules for Posting in this Thread
1) Please do not post OOC comments on this thread (that is what the OOC thread is for). If it is particularly pertinent to the present IC situation and you cannot say what you need to without going OOC, then please keep your OOC remarks as brief as possible.
2) All players must fill out the title section for each post. The title section should include your character's name at minimum. If your character is engaged in combat then include [current hit points]/[max hit points] plus any conditions currently affecting the character such as: Durk the Deranged, 15/18 hp, insane.
3) Please describe actions and spoken words only. I realize that some players like to post their characters' thoughts, but I find this disrupts the suspension of disbelief. If your character's thoughts are pertinent to the situation, please use spoiler tags as these should be for GM's eyes only (there might be someone with psionics around reading thoughts).
4) When posting spoken words, be sure to use bold type and colored font. There are only eight choices available for colored font: red, dark orange, yellow, lime, dark slate blue, cyan, blue and purple. These are chosen for ease of my sight and clear differentiation. Color choice is first-come, first-served, and once you choose a color, you cannot switch to a different one. If a player drops from the game or flakes out, his/her color will become available for use for new players only. Existing players must continue to use their old color.
5) Use InvisibleCastle for all of your rolls. I prefer you to have an InvisibleCastle account so that you may include notes on the roll. Please use the name of your character or your EN World screen name for your InvisibleCastle account. If you choose to use your EN World screen name, you will need to include your character name in the notes of each roll. Whenever you make a roll, simply link back to the roll in your post using a URL tag. Add in all applicable bonuses and/or penalties to your roll on InvisibleCastle to save time.
6) Combat takes one of two forms: standard encounter and boss encounter. The type of encounter will be indicated at the beginning of the battle. During a standard encounter, you will need to post your character's next three actions with each post. You may include an alternate action in the event one of your actions becomes impossible or unnecessary. During a boss encounter, you will need to post your character's actions round by round. Standard encounters will be the most common. Boss encounters will be reserved for particularly deadly or important foes.
7) Please do not edit your post without requesting my permission on the OOC thread. If you must make a change or correct a mistake, please make a second post. Please do not edit your post just to correct typos. If typos bother you, proofread your post before pressing submit.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"First of all, let me thank you ever so much for coming," the woman in braided dark-brown hair says as she sits at the end of the table. Her servant pours tea from a kettle into fine china from the far away North Kingdom while you sit and listen to her proposal. Her name is Mellary O'Star, a contact made by Roshan some years back when he worked as a mercenary guarding caravans for the Merchant's and Trader's Union of Greyhawk. She is known throughout Greyhawk as one of the finest dealers for textiles and clothing.

"I am delighted to hear of your recent endeavors. Your names have all garnered some measure of respect throughout the Domain of Greyhawk. The Merchant's and Trader's Union is no exception. However, I have called you all here this evening not as a representative of my guild, but as a representative of an organization which shall not be named. Suffice it to say we have noticed your exploits and are more than a little impressed. There is a task of great import that I have persuaded those in my organization that you would ideal for. But before I get to the details, I would like to tell you a story.

"Many ages ago, there was a great empire known as the Suel Imperium. As powerful and majestic as the Suel people were, they were victims of their own arrogance. Perhaps you know the legends. They called down the Invoked Devastation upon the Baklunish Empire to the north and were, in exchange, destroyed by the Rain of Colorless Fire. The mighty kingdoms of both were ruined and their peoples scattered to the wind. Those few who survived migrated to the Flanaess, where we live to this day.

"Of the survivors of the Suel was a powerful family of wizards and sorcerers known as the Maure. The Maure constructed a castle just north of the Abbor-Alz Mountains and ruled the nearby land with an iron fist. They were dedicated to all things arcane and sought, among other things, the secrets to immortality. As time wore on, the scions of House Maure devoted themselves more and more to their studies and less and less to their political responsibilities. Eventually they sealed themselves off from the rest of the world completely. Those around them whispered of dark rituals performed within the castle and pacts with mighty fiends.

"Twenty five years ago, the great wizard Mordenkainen and his associates among the Citadel of Eight heard tell of Maure Castle and it's sealed doors and decided to try their hand at it. They journeyed to the castle, somehow gained entry, and slew the inhabitants, coming back to Greyhawk all the wealthier. Their stories of great battles and monstrous encounters in the dungeons of Maure Castle are still told in taverns among adventurers today.

"About the same time, a man named Kerfane was gathering and cataloging historical artifacts from the dungeons of Maure Castle. I have it on good authority that he somehow managed to gain access to the levels beneath Maure Castle before Mordenkainen and his party. He has not been heard from since the wizard's expedition however. It is my belief that he perished, perhaps in some ill-fated encounter with the archmage and his companions. Exactly what happened is a matter of pure speculation, but what remains is the fact that Kerfane's research is very important to myself and the people with whom I associate.

"Those within my organization have spent years tracking down the location of the bits of treasure discovered by Mordenkainen's group and have yet to find any items relating to Kerfane's work. Therefore it is my belief that whatever journals he might have kept remain below Maure Castle. These journals likely contain a wealth of information about the castle and it's history and would be of enormous value to those in my organization were they recovered. We would be indebted to those who accomplish this task.

"I have faith in your group's abilities and believe you can be trusted to return the journals once you discover them. The job should be a relatively simple one for a group such as yours. Mordenkainen cleared out the dungeon long ago so I am fairly certain it is no longer inhabited. However there are two things to be wary of. First of all, the dungeons beneath Maure Castle have been sealed for centuries. I do not know how the Citadel of Eight managed to gain access to them. If you wish to do the same you might do well to research how it was done. Second, the place has a legendary reputation for surpassingly deadly traps, and I'm not talking about pits with spikes at the bottom. Remember that this place was once the abode of mighty and devious spellcasters. The types of traps they laid probably require a bit more than disarming a simple trip wire or pressure plate."

Mellary fiddles with an opal brooch around her neck before continuing. "I have told you everything I know about the place. I trust you have enough to begin outfitting an expedition. Of course if there is anything you would like to ask me before you leave, I would be happy to oblige to the extent of my ability to answer."

At this, Mellary opens the table for discussion. She has given you a wealth of information. Who knows what awaits you in the depths of Maure Castle?

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Kal-fen sat across the table from the more than intelligent woman listening to her stories and her information presented as he strokes his dark colored goatee slowly. It was more than true that he and his companions as part of the Onyx Vale were just as interested in said arcane information as the woman across from him was. He would not speak anything of his own group or their dealings in the arcane with her but it was well know that he himself knew text upon text of arcane information about the profession of magical arts himself. Kal-fen wracked his brain thinking back in quite solitude if he knew anything himself about the information she spoke of or the expeditions to Maure Castle.

[sblock=Arcana Check]Knowledge (Arcana) Check (1d20+16=35)[/sblock]

Kal-fen looked to his right, then his left looking over the expressions of his companions before jotting a couple of notes down here and there on a small peice of parchment as Mellary continued speaking.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Mapata shifted uncomfortable on his chair. He hated chairs. He mostly hated everything dealing with human architecture and ways. He sighed heavily.
"If you expect us to undergo such a dangerous quest, there is information that you must reveal, and that you have concealed up to this point my lady. For example, the use your organization, which you should reveal it's name, will give to said texts and arcane information. It will be a fools deed to give some maniacs who wished to rule the world the recipe of that foul spell those wizards casted upon the world, so powerful that it destroyed two empires. I presume you understand what I expose here, and understand that it's only logical." the half orc pauses, shifted in his chair again, and sighed uncomfortably.

Thanee

First Post
Justine

“This is an interesting story and an interesting proposition, you have to offer,” Justine says. “A dangerous proposition for sure, but if it wasn't dangerous, you wouldn't need to ask us to help you retrieve those documents, would you? What I am currently missing in this whole thing is a reason why we should actually help you. I, for one, do not know you. I have no idea what kind of organization you represent, though I respect your wish to keep it secret. However, that doesn't make it easier, as you surely understand.”

Rathan

First Post
Kal-fen

Kal-fen shook his head softly as he listened to the others gathered here then spoke softly and calmly.

"Have you all ever done anything just... for the fun of it?" the dark skinned man asked softly.

"The woman has her orders, and we have ours should we choose to accept them. She's just doing her job within her organization, tis not her call to pass more information on than she is supposed to." Kal added as he sat back in his chair again softly once more.

"That much I have respect for. I know how it feels to have more information that one is allowed to share." Kal said as he feel silent once more.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"You are always such a reckless fool. This could have potential disastrous consequence. Think always before acting." replies the half breed dryly.

Vertexx69

First Post
Roshan has sat quietly during the exchange of information and words. His steely gaze moving over all assembled in turn as they voice concerns and questions about the validity of the mysterious nature of the work their reputations had brought them. The smallest of smirks touch the corners of his mouth for just an instant before he says anything, then he stands. "My friends. Such is the nature of the world we find ourselves living in. It is true that anything involving the ancestors of my people, let alone that old ruin of a fortress, is going to be extremely dangerous. But isn't this type of adventure our calling? Of course we will have to research several of these matters ourselves, to see if any more secrets of this Castle Maure might be hidden away in the annals of ancient libraries or dusty crypts."
The voice of the desert champion is warm and welcoming, without the slightest hint of sarcasm or condescending lilt. The arms of the dragoon's flowing silver robes sway gently as he uses his deeply tanned and scarred hands to help emphasize his points. He pours some sweet, dark wine into a simple, but elegant silver chalice before continuing to address the group. "While I'm certain that there is information that Mellary's associates are hoping to find in these journals, there is no way to be sure what they contain or if it will be of any value at all to them. They are shouldering some of the risk as well by funding this expedition and assembling folk of no small accomplishment such as ourselves to attempt this retrieval." The paladin takes a deep drink of his wine and then lets his eyes fall on Mellary once more. "Perhaps my companion's are worried that since the castle was already looted so long ago, that there may not be... enough in the way of compensation to, how shall I say, balance out the risk to our lives? Working as mercenaries for as long as we have, can lead to a few bad habits you understand." Roshan smiles sheepishly at his friend and drain his chalice before once more taking his seat to let the others ruminate a bit more if they wish.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
As Kal-fen sits back to think on what he knows of Maure Castle and it's relevance to his studies of the arcane. A few morsels of information come readily to mind, being as learned as he is.

[sblock=Kal-fen]What Mellary told you about Castle Maure is essentially true, although she may not know the whole story. The great archmage Mordenkainen's exploits in the dungeons below the castle are well-known in most magical circles and you have come across references to it in both studies and recited tales. One particular aspect that seems to be missing from Mellary's story is how the archmage gained entry to the dungeons, an aspect of which you are fortunately aware. You once read a missive from a powerful, yet insane mage known as only as Erac's Cousin to his companion Ayelerach, said to be a paladin. The missive described the sense of betrayal Erac's Cousin felt after being enslaved by a demon prince and his prayers to his god falling on deaf ears. He said it was how Mordenkainen must have felt when Bigby allowed him to be turned to stone beneath Castle Maure. This was an interesting enough reference, but it is what Erac's Cousin said to remind his friend of the tale that now stands out in your mind. Erac's Cousin said in the letter "You remember Maure Castle don't you? That fantastic adventure that began when they couldn't even open the door! It was a good thing they had the Silver Key of Portals with them."

What Mellary said of the place being founded by Suel mages is true enough. The site is legendary as a place where expatriates from the Suel Imperium continued to practice their dark magics long after the fall of their mighty empire. It is rumored in many magical circles that despite appearances, the dungeons beneath the castle have hardly been fully explored. Mordenkainen's expedition is, in fact, the only success story you know of, and (perhaps wild) tales say that there are as many as EIGHT separate levels beneath the dungeon while most reports credit Mordenkainen with exploring only THREE. Common consensus is that no matter how many levels there are, Mordenkainen was hardly thorough.

In relation to the society Mellary represents, you have heard rumors and speculation that might indicate her true loyalties, but nothing definite. Whatever it is can't be a purely magical society, otherwise you would have at least heard of it, no matter how secret. What you do know are stories of magical items and arcane relics filtering steadily out of the Abbor-Alz Mountains from an undisclosed location twenty-five years ago that suddenly stopped. (Greyhawk's Guild of Wizardry allegedly has some of these items on display in a private museum collection.) The source of these items is hard to substantiate since they were always fenced and funds for them were always laundered. But it hints at a secret society somehow dedicated to finding old artifacts in places long-thought abandoned, cursed, or haunted.[/sblock]

Mellary lets your group discuss the matter amongst yourselves for a few minutes before speaking. It seems she was expecting this. After a brief lull falls over the room again, she smiles widely and speaks.

"Well I can't say that I expected you to take me quite at my word. But I did want to whet your appetite for adventure and it seems I've done just that.

"Mapata, correct?"
she says turning to the half-orc. It is really more of a statement than a question. "Perhaps I can ease your fears a little by saying this. I do not seek the secrets to the Invoked Devastation. In the first place it's actually quite laughable to presume that Kerfane ever knew them himself. If that were so I imagine he'd be alive today, either that or his downfall would have left an epic amount of collateral damage. Second, I seek knowledge not for power, but for knowledge's sake alone. I am not a wizard or magician or performer of tricks. I don't even know how to cast a simple cantrip. Such a thing is common among those in my organization. While I admit a few may dabble in the arcane we are not the Circle of the Eight, the Guild of Wizardry, or even the Warlocks of Rookroost, Besides, if I belonged to a group that was even on the cusp of using a spell as powerful as that crafted by the Suel Imperium arcanists eons ago, I really wouldn't need you, would I? You may be talented, but don't flatter yourself too much. Magic the likes of the Ancient Suel has not been seen since their empire was turned to dust. I strongly doubt that any of the wizards who escaped even managed to take such enchanting secrets with them. If they had they would have surely been discovered by now."

She also gives a slight nod to Kal-fen, as if thanking him for his support when he speaks in seeming favor of the expedition.

"And I do thank you for understanding that I cannot reveal everything about my organization at this moment. The fact that I'm even mentioning to you that I belong to a secret society is an act of good faith on my part. Perhaps I will be able to reveal more after you have returned with Kerfane's journals. Naturally if you see anything within them that you find questionable I will do my best to allay those fears. But ultimately what I do isn't important because you will be in control of the journals before you ever have to hand them over to me. In fact, as much as I would like to see them, I would be content at the very least if you destroy them should you in fact find them and decide for some reason I am not worthy to received them. Then at least they wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. It wouldn't curry any favor with those whom I associate with of course, but that's the cost of doing business."

Remove ads