Archer Warlord+Battlefront Leader+Armored Warlord? Cheese?

Nymrohd

First Post
Technically I can take both Archer Warlord and Battlefront Leader at creation for my tactlord and then take the armored warlord feat (at first level). This means I can use scale armor but not chain according to the CB. It probably is right by RAW and it does really helps my character concept, but my guess is this is not RAI right?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
From my read of MP2, it is legal - well, provided that you read into battlefront leader the words "regardless of whether one meets the requirements" - as if you take archer warlord, you don't meet the requirement to be proficient with heavy shields (don't have light shield proficiency) or scale armour (don't have chain).

Now, whether that is RAI... well, who can say? It certainly doesn't seem within the concept of an archer warlord...

That said, I'm not sure if there are design reasons not to allow the combo, however strange it seems in implementation.

DracoSuave

First Post
Technically I can take both Archer Warlord and Battlefront Leader at creation for my tactlord and then take the armored warlord feat (at first level). This means I can use scale armor but not chain according to the CB. It probably is right by RAW and it does really helps my character concept, but my guess is this is not RAI right?

You could.

Or you could have 18 Intellegence and save yourself the feat.

I think it was a strange decision that you can chose both archer warlord and battlefront leader...

maybe it would have been better decision to put them there as exclusive choices... MAybe with archer warlord in the combat leader option and an attached bonus...

actually i think the archer warlord feature is a little bit badly thought out, because if go for high wis instead of high int, you need chain proficiency again... and so it could be a good option to take battlefront leader and heavy shield.... and then it looks cheesy but it is what you need...

Last edited:

Nymrohd

First Post
The concept is making a tactlord that is mainly attacking in melee but also has a few ranged abilities with a longbow. A great tactician should adapt right? Plus Paint the Bulls-eye is a very nice at-will:)

DracoSuave

First Post
The concept is making a tactlord that is mainly attacking in melee but also has a few ranged abilities with a longbow. A great tactician should adapt right? Plus Paint the Bulls-eye is a very nice at-will:)

Tac Lord. 18 intellegence.

Why the need for scale?

DracoSuave

First Post
Not the need for scale, the need for longbows as well. And I like heavy armor thank you, flavor>numbers.

Sure. Why not.

The way I look at it is this... if you can attain the same AC without spending any feats, OR taking battlefront leader, by simply taking an attribute you want as a Warlord anyways... then it's not broken. Far from it; it's sub-optimal.

Wisdom-Archers are rather stuck... they're spending a feat just to not have sub-optimal armor. And if they want Canny Leader, or Combat Leader, then they just might be better off not taking Archer Warlord, and just spending the feat on Weapon proficiency: Great Bow. Ranged Basic Attacks are something you give others, not take yourself. In fact, I'm almost convinced this is the more optimal route, and that Archer Warlord is an overrated class feature.

Herschel

Adventurer
It works. Personally, heavily-armored archers feel weird, but that's just taste. I also am always short feat slots when building characters so anywhere I can save a feat I'm happy. The skirmisher would be a fun one to play in a stealthy party but personally I'd rather go traditional Tactical Warlord in a melee party and nab a javelin for those times I need ranged attacks.

Remove ads